DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Starship Stuff

Don't stop! Please make this happen. I know it's probably a huge pita and headache, but you'll be benefiting sooo many others if you make it work!

I'm only human, and well this weekend wasn't good for me. I was tried and so un-motivated on me. I was thinking maybe I'd do some more on this and found I'd only gone and broke the very thing I fixed.

So wasn't a good time for me mentally. Before anyone goes and mentions that this forum is for starfinder not for the pity parties, I'm not after pity just understanding. I have very very low morale, and the slightest thing can cause my mental state to crumble, so when my Starfinder game this saturday just gone failed to start because 1 player was busy with work, 1 player was busy with life and 1 player wasn't feeling too well (I have 4 players and it fails to run the moment one drops, but I don't like running with more than 4 because then it's starts getting unbalances and difficult to make it personal for me.) So yeah there goes the morale, I then spend the rest of the weekend, sulking, eating pizza and wrecking my sleep pattern... Anyway, just want to high-light this:

Don't stop! Please make this happen. I know it's probably a huge pita and headache, but you'll be benefiting sooo many others if you make it work!
    I don't know them :-) But damn here I was just watching some Netflix, that pops up in my e-mail... and well I'm back at the keyboard and coding... Update you all laters.

Note to self:

Build PILOT AC/TL check increases by ship each time you apply a frame. Probably not a major thing given it can be overridden by user, but it can cause it to creep up on re-applying the frame.

Should that go in the pilot box, isn't that what the for the size box is for?

Answers below?

So I broke the HP per teir thing namly in trying to get around decimal issue, I accidentally set ever ship to tier 0, and so increments didn't work again. But I fixed that, and sorted the decimcal issue once and for all, I managed to work out the round down function (LUA might be great for this kinda thing, but it's not something I'm familar with), but with that. once it's above 1, then any amount of decimal will be removed by rounding down. So enter 1.99 and voi-la, it becomes 1. No error and the increment math now holds up.

Sorted CT Threshold. It was being set by frame not by calculation, it's now a strict 1/5 of the total HP (as per RAW)

I think for testing purposes and finding out the next thing that is wrong, I'm going to rebuild a player ship, step by step and deal with any errors that come up. Then I might have to scour the code for all the places it reads "this function doesn't work yet" cause it's not fun trying to trace them down without it at least giving me a line number to reference.

Note to self:

Bug? They have a little box for modifiers per round... adding a computer the usual thing for modifiers per round checks, doesn't add anything to this box.

Hmm, might suppress the PCU overload warning. Just so you know, it's not uncommon for ships (even by Paizo) to have PCU way over the Power Core limit. As a GM I've rationalised this as you don't have the drift drive on all the time, also you have to turn off the thrusters before jumping. So you can flicker things on and off, and would power down things enough to get enough PCU for the drift drive to pierce the veil and get you into the drift, turn it off while in there, and turning it back on to get back to the material plane once your done traversing the drift.

But it does make me wonder it should be giving the current amount minus the drift drive so you can tell when it's well and truely overloading the PCU.

Hmm future idea, like in video games, have a screen for power routing configurations, combat/travel/drift and you can flick on and off stuff and it gives you load ratings. Anyway, until it becomes a major concern of the rules, that'll be on the back burner as a nice idea, but meh... more important things.

Still everything else about the ship building seems to work. Shout out your bugs if anything doesn't seem to work as they should.

On to one of the bits you've all be waiting for... the Dice rolls, and for that we need crew.

Start with the pilot! We shall call him Bob. Bob has 1 rank and a bonus of 11 (according to the book, damn Bob). Check the DCs!

Well the DCs are wrong... and oh my, I was hoping to find something there, but it just forced out early. And there was just some really buggy code there. But nope oh my, it's:

function action(draginfo)

local sMsg = Interface.getString("charstarship_message_notimple mented");
    ChatManager.SystemMessage(sMsg, true);

-- if sSkill then
    -- local nodeChar = window.getDatabaseNode();
    -- local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("pc", nodeChar);
    -- local nValue = CharManager.getSkillValue(rActor, sSkill);
    -- ActionSkill.performRoll(draginfo, rActor, sSkill, nValue);
    -- end
    end
    now for those that don't code.

Function Action (draginfo) <- This is the line called from somewhere (I'd be lying if I could tell you where, still learning)

local sMsg = Interface.getString("charstarship_message_notimple mented"); <- this line sets up a variable, an bit of computer memory, and then set's it to the geneic message which we're all seeing as "This functinoality is not enabled at present. Functionality will be enabled in a future update."

ChatManager.SystemMessage(sMsg, true); <- this line then takes that variable called sMsg, and sends it to the chat management system to give you the message on screen, I've been using this for debugging, I added anothe mesage after this line for a stright up, "You've found it", to make sure I was looking in the right place.

-- if sSkill then
    -- local nodeChar = window.getDatabaseNode();
    -- local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("pc", nodeChar);
    -- local nValue = CharManager.getSkillValue(rActor, sSkill);
    -- ActionSkill.performRoll(draginfo, rActor, sSkill, nValue);
    -- end

These lines all start with the --, which means everything aftwards becomes a comment, non-executed code. So does nothing, but gives me some insight into what MAY be useful to get further with all this, I'm going to uncomment them and write them out to the screen and see what it throws up.

And finally

end <- this line tells the program it's the end of the function and it can go back to the rest of the main code... again lying if I knew what that was.

Okies, that's rough, but I'll contining to work on it, one thing I do note, is that it's always got the skill as "Piloting", I know as per RAW that's the case, but if it's the same for weapons, there is an option to not use your ranged attack, but you can use piloting instead and further starship modules that allow you to sub-in your Mystisim skill, so that might need tweaking...

And bug: The DC's are wrong!

Alright, time for more coffee.

So much cross-referencing.
    So much searching.
    So much debug messages.
    So much reloading.

This is why I don't like un-typed languages.

I've acutally found the section of the code that handles skill checks, because for some reason it's flagging up my rolls as untrained, Bob, as we have established is the pilot, and to get that going, at least somewhere in the general direction of making sense of it, I've got it to a "Piloting" roll for all the button,... including firing the cannons, but I'm working on it :-P

Anyway, as Bob is the pilot it was flagging as untrained, I've since trained him. He's an Android, Ace Pilot, Operative... Class-Skill is checked... and it's coming up with untrained still. So I've had to do some digging and found that Bob is at least recognised as a pc, because he has a .sType of "pc" great stuff... but what I don't know looking at it, is how a PC is defined in the stucture.

It could be defined as

.rSkills
    .rSkill
    .rAbilties (unlikely as abilities tend to be defined as class abilites not skills) but I don't know what I'm looking up because he's just an rActor, but without type rActor could literally be a number, a string or a pumpernickle. It makes it a very adaptable language, but until I can find the definition of what it is to be an rActor then I don't know where the skills are located.

Anyway programmer rant over, back to trying to find something to help.

ah wait, rActor turns out not to be a PC... found out his name and it's Audacious Gambit, randomly tried printing out rActor.sName.

So it's not grabbed the crew member, it's grabbed the action and called it a crew member... I think. Okies, now to try and work out if I can grab the parent of the action and hopefully that's the PC, time to delve into the XML files for insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter4Ever View Post
    I'm only human, and well this weekend wasn't good for me. I was tried and so un-motivated on me. I was thinking maybe I'd do some more on this and found I'd only gone and broke the very thing I fixed.

So wasn't a good time for me mentally. Before anyone goes and mentions that this forum is for starfinder not for the pity parties, I'm not after pity just understanding. I have very very low morale, and the slightest thing can cause my mental state to crumble, so when my Starfinder game this saturday just gone failed to start because 1 player was busy with work, 1 player was busy with life and 1 player wasn't feeling too well (I have 4 players and it fails to run the moment one drops, but I don't like running with more than 4 because then it's starts getting unbalances and difficult to make it personal for me.) So yeah there goes the morale, I then spend the rest of the weekend, sulking, eating pizza and wrecking my sleep pattern... Anyway, just want to high-light this:

I don't know them :-) But damn here I was just watching some Netflix, that pops up in my e-mail... and well I'm back at the keyboard and coding... Update you all laters.
    I know that feel about games failing to start bud. don't put unneeded pressure on yourself, your not getting paid by anyone and your doing everyone a service for even trying to attempt this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter4Ever View Post
    Hmm, might suppress the PCU overload warning. Just so you know, it's not uncommon for ships (even by Paizo) to have PCU way over the Power Core limit. As a GM I've rationalised this as you don't have the drift drive on all the time, also you have to turn off the thrusters before jumping. So you can flicker things on and off, and would power down things enough to get enough PCU for the drift drive to pierce the veil and get you into the drift, turn it off while in there, and turning it back on to get back to the material plane once your done traversing the drift.

But it does make me wonder it should be giving the current amount minus the drift drive so you can tell when it's well and truely overloading the PCU.

Hmm future idea, like in video games, have a screen for power routing configurations, combat/travel/drift and you can flick on and off stuff and it gives you load ratings. Anyway, until it becomes a major concern of the rules, that'll be on the back burner as a nice idea, but meh... more important things..
    I incorporated something called an "Engineers Power Report" in Starship Design Studio.. something you may think about what your talking about. What it does is calculate if you don't have enough PCU to enter the drift. A dialog is brought up with everything you have built into the ship that requires PCU's It lists them with a check box and the PCU that component draws. You then check what you want to shut off.. when you do it recalcs and shows how much more you need to turn off. once this has been calculated and the ship is compiled to a FG module.. all the items you picked are placed into the ship sheet for your engineer to turn off when you enter the drift. Normally just turning off the thrusts frees enough PCU but some configurations may not be enough..

since your talking about this... this may work for you to add to your roject

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Thanks Octavious, I will see what I can do once I've gotten the basics sorted out for starship combat.

Update before I head for bed... I've managed to get the PC name who is making the roll, I can get out the skill check required, and I can get the name of the action... now I just need to figure out how to get the character sheet based off the name for the Skill check...

Although just found this node in the DB...

<link type="windowreference">
    <class>charsheet</class>
    <recordname>charsheet.id-00001</recordname>
    </link>

I think that might be what I need, but it's an hour after I should of been in bed, so that is a job for tomorrow. See ya all tomorrow.

This is awesome.

Classic & Unity Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information