FG Spreadshirt Swag

Character Creation/Leveling Confusion

I've seen most of the great guides on this topic. Thanks to all who make them. However, I have this problem:

After buying mucho supplements and guides, etc. from Steam, DM's Guild and so on, I have many (sub)classes and (sub)races that I want to use mixed in with those I do not. By mixed in, I mean they are often in the same module, so deactivating that module for character creation/leveling time takes out the ones I don't want along with those I do.

On top of that, if you have several subraces/classes from different sources with the same parent race/class name, you will have a list of several "elf" or "cleric" and you have to trial-and-error find the one you want to use. There is also the issue with subraces/classes that have the same name (especially true of cleric domains) but different content.

What I have been doing is making my own version of each class/race, title it (for example) "elf (my campaign)" so that it is easy to find, and then manually copy/pasting all the many levels of subrace, etc. information that you find on the second tab of the race or class entry. I tried merely linking to these sub-entries that are spread out over multiple supplements, but even if I grant access to the player, this seems to often cause errors where the player cannot view the contents. It seems that making an editable copy of a race or class is good, until you want to add a subrace or subclass from another module to it - then you have to input all the info by hand. That could take a long time if you have a lot of stuff.

I'd like to ask the experts here if there is a better way to do this. I realize I could edit the xml, but I'm not confident that I won't make a grand mess of things.

I'd also like to ask Smiteworks or extension writers if they might consider creating some kind of filtering system in the class/race choice menu where the GM chooses what entries to have visible and which to make invisible to the player. The goal would be to have one category called "elf" or "cleric" and have it include subraces/subclasses selected by the GM from several sources without having to show all of the unnecessary subentries from that source. The result would be a clean list with only the campaign-approved classes, subclasses, races, and subraces appearing.

This kind of thing would be great for spells too.

I realize you can group spells, but you have to open each one one at a time in order to drag them to the group you created. That takes too long.

Thanks for reading my wall of text.

One of the developers is working on a character Wizard for 5e which will make character creation easier and will be less dependent on drag and drop from list entries.

If you have several modules open that contain classes or races then you will potentially see a number of races or classes with the same name in the class or race list. You can filter these to show only those from a particular book. If you want to have a choice of all of the archetypes or subraces then you will need all of the books open in order to have that choice. If you don't want such a choice then don't open those modules and don't share them with your players.

Also make sure that you don't have too many unneeded modules open. For example if you have the Player's Handbook then you do not need the SRD, Basic Rules, Essentials Rules or Rick & Morty Rulebook open since those just repeat the same information. (You should not see multiple Cleric Domains of the same name since they are all unique across the various modules that contain Cleric Domains - with the possible exception of the Unearthed Arcana modules). Note also that it doesn't matter what head race or class that you pick then you will still get the option of all of the subraces or archetypes from every module that you have open.

I'm not sure what you mean about spells. Spells can be filtered by level, and class - I'm not sure what else you would need. Also as above make sure that you don't have multiple sources open which contain the same information. If you are seeing multiple copies of the same spell then you have modules open that you don't need. You only need Acid Splash from the Player's Handbook for example; you don't need it from the SRD, Basic rules etc as well.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    One of the developers is working on a character Wizard for 5e which will make character creation easier and will be less dependent on drag and drop from list entries.
    That's great to hear!

If you have several modules open that contain classes or races then you will potentially see a number of races or classes with the same name in the class or race list. You can filter these to show only those from a particular book. If you want to have a choice of all of the archetypes or subraces then you will need all of the books open in order to have that choice. If you don't want such a choice then don't open those modules and don't share them with your players.
    Yes, thank you. I know about that. My problem is when there is a archetype/subrace I don't want to show in a book with other archetype/subraces that I do want to show.

Also make sure that you don't have too many unneeded modules open. For example if you have the Player's Handbook then you do not need the SRD, Basic Rules, Essentials Rules or Rick & Morty Rulebook open since those just repeat the same information. (You should not see multiple Cleric Domains of the same name since they are all unique across the various modules that contain Cleric Domains - with the possible exception of the Unearthed Arcana modules). Note also that it doesn't matter what head race or class that you pick then you will still get the option of all of the subraces or archetypes from every module that you have open.
    In addition to UA, there are DM Guild modules with identical domain names to ones in other books. As for classes, I have around 6 to 8 versions over a number of modules, and that does not include the "player" versions. Then there are the archetypes, which cannot be seen without opening each class. I want to use most (not all) of them, but there is no way to organize this.

I'm not sure what you mean about spells. Spells can be filtered by level, and class - I'm not sure what else you would need. Also as above make sure that you don't have multiple sources open which contain the same information. If you are seeing multiple copies of the same spell then you have modules open that you don't need. You only need Acid Splash from the Player's Handbook for example; you don't need it from the SRD, Basic rules etc as well.
    If you use Rob2E's great spell effects (please make this part of FG!) then you have many duplicate spells, especially from those in core books.
    Last edited by Armandeus; February 14th, 2020 at 11:42.

Yes, you can't hide specific archetypes since archetypes don't exist on their own - they are always part of a class. As you say if you want a class with a specific archetypes you will need to create it yourself. And yes, dragging the links in won't work - you will need to manually enter the information. Depending on how they were created third party stuff like from the DMsGuild probably won't integrate too well with any official products. Not sure what the solution to that would be other than creating your own classes, or closing off any other modules and just using the DMsGuild ones.

And, yes, again if you use a lot of third party stuff for spells then you will get duplicates. Not a lot you can do about that really except use the filters.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Thread Information