DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Getting Started

Getting Started

Hey guys, just a super quick question for you

We're thinking of moving over from Roll20, but I'm a little confused as to what we'd need to purchase -
    I want to get the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure for us to try, but it says that either the D&D Basic Rules, D&D Complete Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack are also required.
    I can't find any of these items listed in the store currently. Does it just mean I also need to purchase the player's handbook?

If not and I do indeed need the above-listed packs how do I find them on the store? The search doesn't seem to be bringing any of them up.

Thanks in advance.
    Nhari

Blog Entries
    Hey Nhari

Some of those were named in the early days when the Wizards were a little unsure as to how this whole VTT thing would work out.

The Basic Rules and SRD are included with the FG client license.
    Complete Core Class Pack is now the Players Handbook.

You would use one of the Basic Rules OR SRD OR Players Handbook.

If you buy here on the store you get a 30 day money back guarantee so you could take out an Ultimate Sub and buy the PHB and HotDQ.
    If its not the right system for you grab the refund.
    More likely is you will stick around

Oh, that's great! Did not know about the guarantee, thanks for letting me know.

I'll get the PHB then. If I DM that will allow any players in my game to also use it to make their characters correct so they can just drag and drop everything in. Putting things in manually looks to be way more difficult than roll 20. I'm having trouble even trying to figure out how to set the damage dice on a spell I'm putting in manually.

Blog Entries
    Checkout FG College (https://fantasygroundscollege.net) they have all sort of helpful people and free classes.

Also, walk yourself through the tutorial/sample campaign.

Then, depending upon if you prefer to learn by watching or reading, either go to YouTube and watch some intro videos or read the User Manual. Spending an hour upfront, will save you hours of poking around trying to learn FG on your own.

Lots of help out there, just make sure you use it

Also, be aware that FG does things differently than Roll20, so make sure you "forget" how you do things and learn the FG way.

Welcome aboard!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Welcome Nhari.

Lots of guides and videos and other helpful things linked in this forum thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ul-information
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Welcome! Please ask lots of questions. We're really good at answering them so don't be shy.

I watched 4 hours of videos today so I think I have enough to get started now. I was just really confused by the mention of character packs everywhere. I've bought the handbook so that's the character stuff sorted and I'll be purchasing our first campaign to start prepping in a few days. Already looks way better than roll 20 (which lags like crazy on my PC and is horrible)

Welcome, Nhari! People are nice here, too. I would say the ocean is deep, very deep on all the 5E content and tools so you'll find no end to value. But just getting started is the big thing. As a DM, you'll be able to customize as you want/need. I've found my own rhythm and preference as a GM mostly by doing. There are a range of styles, and you'll be able to get the tools to accommodate yours.

Thread Information