STAR TREK 2d20

1st FG DM trying

Would it be better to run a one shot for my first DM session on FG or would I get more from a 3-4 session campaign?
    I cast: my Mace in your face!

It depends what you're looking for. Are you looking to learn FG or are you looking to get a small campaign going?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    What's your experience level with FG? Have you used FG as a player? Have you DM's RPG's before? Have you played RPGs before? What about the rulesystem you are looking to run, how familiar are you withit?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Your better off running a 3-4 session game .. reason for this your not going to really get a feel for FG or DMing in a one session.. after your first session your going to realize a few mistakes were made and you will get another crack at it next session.. Or you may realize you can run it a bit differently and do so next session..

I speak from my experience only.. as my first game was DM LMoP.. I never played any rpg before. never DMed , never played FG .. I read the rules and jumped in as DM and ran that game. It took about 4 sessions before I got my DM legs so to speak.

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Quote Originally Posted by tatertatum View Post
    Would it be better to run a one shot for my first DM session on FG or would I get more from a 3-4 session campaign?
    Yes to both--just jump in and try. That's the most important thing. It's easy to get started, and you'll learn the advance stuff over time.

P.S. welcome to the forums!

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Blog Entries
    Id lean towards the 3-4 session run.
    Single session adventures have their own challenges - mainly timing.
    Char Build and Combat is the main thing to learn/practice.

I'd also suggest a 3-4 session campaign. Fool around with the interface on your own off-game until you're comfortable with the parts you intend to use during the next session. During each session, make note about what FG functions you think you need to learn more about, and look into those in between sessions. Ask around for advice from the community, as they're usually quite friendly eager to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    Your better off running a 3-4 session game .. reason for this your not going to really get a feel for FG or DMing in a one session.. after your first session your going to realize a few mistakes were made and you will get another crack at it next session.. Or you may realize you can run it a bit differently and do so next session..

I speak from my experience only.. as my first game was DM LMoP.. I never played any rpg before. never DMed , never played FG .. I read the rules and jumped in as DM and ran that game. It took about 4 sessions before I got my DM legs so to speak.
    This is pretty much my own experience with FG as well. I had experience as a DM, but not FG and it took several sessions to get the feel for it and my first two sessions were not as smooth or fun as the fourth was.

taken some calsses only here in FG so far. never been a player here. yes i have DMed before table top. i have been running 5e for a while outside FG.
    I cast: my Mace in your face!

Blog Entries
    Then to me it's a matter of if you have a group of players you like? If you have a group of players, then jump right into the campaign you want to run. If you need to build players, then I would suggest short campaigns or one-shots. That way you get to know lots of players and can then pick and choose the ones you want to run a game for.

Not every player fits well with every DM or even with other players. By running one-shots or 2 session games, you get a feel for the players and they get a feel for each other.And, no one has to invest too much time developing characters or scenarios (and their are lots of Pre-gens on the DMsGuild.com. I have a set of a dozen 2nd level ones I use for such things, and Rob2e has hundreds of each and every type. Others have packs too.)

But whatever way you go, jump in and get started, just make sure to communicate with your players.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information