FG Spreadshirt Swag

Automation, extensions, opinions

Hello,

Being new in using the 2e ruleset, I was wondering how good is the built in automation/effects coding? For instance, the Ravager kit for barbarians, is there effects coding for this baked in, or is it an manual process. I'm very familiar with 5e/extensions on here and I was wondering if there was any additional extensions on DMGuild (couldn't find any here), that did the same thing as Automatic effects, but for AD&D / 2e ? The Forge seems limited in its extensions for this system, so really I'm just curious about what some of the must-have extensions you should use with a 2e game and what are some of its limitations currently.

I'm joining a 2e game and really like to know the system so I can learn and help out, write my own effects and organize things to run a smooth game.

I could dig around for hours, but I figured I'd just ask. I'm currently just reading the PHB/DMG and re-familiarizing myself with the rules after 20 years.

Any advice much appreciated. From what I saw it was a really good implementation.

Opinions, things coming down the pipe in the future, any feedback welcome.

PS. Will there be more content ported for sale in the Store (darksun, greyhawk, ect)? IS there any place i could find more?

Thank you everyone, sorry if its abit rambling.

There are some extensions that do more "optional" rules and for other things like Hackmaster. In general tho the automation in the 2E ruleset is a bit more extensive than the other systems. In most cases effects required for certain classes and kits are part of the class (depending on who did the conversion). For the most part all of that is available except for those edge cases for things that were to complex to try and code for.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

that’s exactly the opposite of what expected! Pretty great. Im excited to finally be playing this version of the game, it’s my personal favorite and i never got a chance to play it when i was a kid. Exciting to see just how good a job they did porting this system.

Does DM guild have more games, settings mods (converted adventurers) for sale. I’ve bought the ones i wanted on the store, but i was hoping there would be a few more. Do new ones get added often or is there somewhere to get some converted by community (i realize it’s licensed)…

Lastly, it’s refreshing to see i don’t have to have a set of 20 extensions running like in 5e. Id love to follow dev on this , maybe even write an extension or two, how can i stay on top of dev, upcoming updates? Does the main dev (im assuming this was a work of love by a few people that aren’t smiteworks engineers)… would love to keep updated on what’s happening with this ruleset.

Thanks so much for your help

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    that’s exactly the opposite of what expected! Pretty great. Im excited to finally be playing this version of the game, it’s my personal favorite and i never got a chance to play it when i was a kid. Exciting to see just how good a job they did porting this system.

Does DM guild have more games, settings mods (converted adventurers) for sale. I’ve bought the ones i wanted on the store, but i was hoping there would be a few more. Do new ones get added often or is there somewhere to get some converted by community (i realize it’s licensed)…

Lastly, it’s refreshing to see i don’t have to have a set of 20 extensions running like in 5e. Id love to follow dev on this , maybe even write an extension or two, how can i stay on top of dev, upcoming updates? Does the main dev (im assuming this was a work of love by a few people that aren’t smiteworks engineers)… would love to keep updated on what’s happening with this ruleset.

Thanks so much for your help
    Far as I know the AD&D ruleset can't have Official content on DriveThru but there is a pretty big selection on the FG store.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...d=WOTC2EBUNDLE

There has generally been a few adventures every month or so but really depends on devs and free time
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Far as I know the AD&D ruleset can't have Official content on DriveThru but there is a pretty big selection on the FG store.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...d=WOTC2EBUNDLE

There has generally been a few adventures every month or so but really depends on devs and free time
    oh no mr bill!

sorry had to do it lol

Thank you so much for the information celestial. One thing i love about Fgu community, helpful folks.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    Hello,

Being new in using the 2e ruleset, I was wondering how good is the built in automation/effects coding? For instance, the Ravager kit for barbarians, is there effects coding for this baked in, or is it an manual process. I'm very familiar with 5e/extensions on here and I was wondering if there was any additional extensions on DMGuild (couldn't find any here), that did the same thing as Automatic effects, but for AD&D / 2e ? The Forge seems limited in its extensions for this system, so really I'm just curious about what some of the must-have extensions you should use with a 2e game and what are some of its limitations currently.

I'm joining a 2e game and really like to know the system so I can learn and help out, write my own effects and organize things to run a smooth game.

I could dig around for hours, but I figured I'd just ask. I'm currently just reading the PHB/DMG and re-familiarizing myself with the rules after 20 years.

Any advice much appreciated. From what I saw it was a really good implementation.

Opinions, things coming down the pipe in the future, any feedback welcome.

PS. Will there be more content ported for sale in the Store (darksun, greyhawk, ect)? IS there any place i could find more?

Thank you everyone, sorry if its abit rambling.
    Hi Spencerg,

there s not much on DM guild or the forge for a good reason... most if not all automation/effects are already built in (Thx to Celestian). In fact it must be the most complete ruleset in FG. The few available allow you to play more like 1E or adding house rules.

there are already a lot of modules out there (adventures, accessories etc..) adding even more but each community converter has its own way and sometimes some new effects coding are not possible or not worth doing.

As per the content converted to the FG store, Classic modules (B/X, 1E, 2E) are limited to the current setting already existing in 5E (as per WotC) meaning no DS, GH, DL etc until they exist in 5E. They are few exceptions like when modules are set in GH for example but are not advertised as being part of GH (no banner on the front cover).

There is a small group of community converters...and the review process post conversion can be lengthy, but feel free to join us. There s still plenty to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    Hi Spencerg,

there s not much on DM guild or the forge for a good reason... most if not all automation/effects are already built in (Thx to Celestian). In fact it must be the most complete ruleset in FG. The few available allow you to play more like 1E or adding house rules.

there are already a lot of modules out there (adventures, accessories etc..) adding even more but each community converter has its own way and sometimes some new effects coding are not possible or not worth doing.

As per the content converted to the FG store, Classic modules (B/X, 1E, 2E) are limited to the current setting already existing in 5E (as per WotC) meaning no DS, GH, DL etc until they exist in 5E. They are few exceptions like when modules are set in GH for example but are not advertised as being part of GH (no banner on the front cover).

There is a small group of community converters...and the review process post conversion can be lengthy, but feel free to join us. There s still plenty to convert.
    Hi there!

Thank you very much for the information. I should have scanned the threads before posting because honestly everything has been talked about here, so my appositives for redundancy in posting. I find the fact that 2e is the most complete wonderful, it being hands down the best version of the game imho. I also
    find it amusing that 5e was skimped on. However it gave developers like myself a way to make extra money and fill in the blanks with extensions and mods.. That being said, not a fan of WotC handling of recent products and other things for that matter, ect ect. So i’m returning to this version of the game. I would love to help out, if and when i have free time. Would it be possible to send me some links regarding effects coding, extension API (if it goes beyond core rpg), maybe some confluence pages? I tried a few links on a thread i found on here but they were restricted? Essentially im looking for dev info/guides specific to 2e, not just core rpg.

Thread Information