Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVan View Post
    The only way they informed me that it would work is use a VPN or to set up my own modem; both solution will violate my contract with them.
    Hhhmm, stopping you running software that allows you to play a game with friends, because their policies won't allow for that. So, they're saying that if you need a VPN for work you're violating your contract? Stopping people from wanting to do a couple of hours work from home... Maybe that's something you can challenge if you'd like to...

It also raises the question as to what level of monitoring they do to check for use of a VPN? In my experience ISPs don't do this unless some third party complains - e.g. Netflix complains that someone using your account connected to them using a known VPN IP address - but how would Netflix know which IP address the source came from in order to track it back to the ISP as that isn't available due to the VPN? And Fantasy Grounds certainly wouldn't complain...

I'd say use a VPN - options listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'd say use a VPN - options listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives
    It is important to note that it is not against their policies to play games like fantasy grounds, it is against their policies to make changes to a residential modem or let a costumer make changes to their modem.

If I was to want to use a vpn I would need to upgrade service package according to them, which would require me to buy out my current contract so that is a hard no. I have no idea if they could even enforce that policy. I suspect that it exists to strong arm people who work from home via a VPN to buy a more expensive service package.

I intend to try calling them again after work and hope I get someone else who will actually help me.
    I will keep the VPN as an option in my mind but my internet already is slow enough without an aditional layer slowing it down further. Another fun thing about living in an area without ISP competition, the maximum speed I can get is 20mbs. If I lived 1 mile south where there is ISP competition I could have fiber.
    Last edited by TylerVan; April 17th, 2019 at 18:08.

Blog Entries
    Ugh! No competition

I will add that when I travel I use the PureVPN solution and haven't seen any noticeable performance degradation. But, I could test it it would help. Also, I orginally used Hamachi for some months before going the PureVPN route to make it easier on my players.

Do note that FGU should have a solution for you, but, that is till months away before a beta release via Kickstarter and half a year + until public release of version 1.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ummm, that can't be right, I'd love to take a look at a contract that describes that. Sounds like they are giving you a load of crap.

A VPN makes no changes to their product. It's all inside your computer.

While not ideal would a satellite ISP like HughesNet be an option? It sucks for twitch gaming like shooters, but the delay should be unnoticeable for FG.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Ugh! No competition

I will add that when I travel I use the PureVPN solution and haven't seen any noticeable performance degradation. But, I could test it it would help. Also, I orginally used Hamachi for some months before going the PureVPN route to make it easier on my players.

Do note that FGU should have a solution for you, but, that is till months away before a beta release via Kickstarter and half a year + until public release of version 1.
    If I went the PureVPN route what additional would I have to do to get my players to connect to me outside of the regular 4 word connection phrase? Sorry if it is on some forum post somewhere else

Blog Entries
    So that's why I switched to PureVPN (with the dedicated IP option), the players can either use your dedicated IP (which doesn't change) or the 4 word alias. Doesn't matter where in the world you are, it's invisible to them. Basically it tunnels to PureVPN and then FG reaches out to the FG servers and gives them your PureVPN IP and they can then just use the alias.

Easier than the Hamachi solution (which everyone has to install and join your Hamachi network) , but does have a cost

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Some routers have in-built VPN capabilities. Maybe the ISP is referring to that? A software VPN should be all but invisible to your ISP.

BTW, I upgraded my Internet connection from 25 Mbps to 75 Mbps a couple of months ago. I have seen absolutely no difference on anything, and I have the house fully wired with 1Gbps. Only the ISP's 'speed test' shows any difference. My file downloads still come at 3 Mbps...

I only changed plans as the 'faster' plan was now cheaper than the old one. The 25 Mbps was fine for FG, even as GM.

Thread Information