DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Connection Failure

Resolved

First time trying to use FG as the DM

When I run test connection on a game I am trying to setup, I recive a connection failure. I have followed the steps in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained, and so far it has not resolved the issue. I am of the opinion that it may be because I have at least 2 private hops. While I can port forward for my router, I would have to contact my ISP to make changes to my modem or any other hops. I want to make sure that this is the case as their costumer service is nearly non-existent and in the past has not really made any effort to resolve requests. Nothing related to this sort of thing, but it took them 6 months to replace the modem when it started acting up causing the internet to cut out and instead told me to power-cycle it. Which I suppose it was a fix but not an ideal one when I had to do 1-2 power cycles a day.

Additionally I have ran the program with firewall disabled, so it is not likely a firewall issue, or at least one of the issues is not the firewall.

These are the answers from the troubleshooting questionnaire from the post:

0) win 10 and the steam launcher
    1) 10.0.0.7
    2) FG: 205.185; router: 192.168
    3) Wireless
    4) 3.png
    5) Added the FGLauncher and FGupdater as well as the FG steam folder to exceptions in windows defender
    6) 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.1
    2 1 ms 1 ms 2 ms VisionNet.Home [192.168.125.1]
    3 21 ms 18 ms 17 ms 205.185.138.1
    4 22 ms 23 ms 23 ms 10ge2-8.core1.rst1.he.net [184.105.249.205]
    5 23 ms 24 ms 25 ms 100ge8-2.core1.blp1.he.net [184.105.65.157]
    6 30 ms 32 ms 48 ms 100ge9-1.core1.oma1.he.net [184.105.65.97]
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 52 ms 51 ms 52 ms 108.170.243.174
    9 51 ms 49 ms 49 ms 108.170.233.73
    10 51 ms 49 ms 49 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

7)2.png

Thank you all for any assistance you can provide

Edit:

Thank you for your help. After attempting to talk to the isp including talking to the basic tech support, their manager, their residential networking installations department, and their supervisor, they have informed me that a technician setting up port-forwarding for residential accounts violates their policies, and they will not allow me to access my modem to set it up myself. Additionally they will not bridge my modem to my router as that is also a violation of their policies and my contract.

Final Edit:

I went with PureVPN as an option to resolve this problem. It is a costly solution, but it is less costly than moving and avoids the sunk cost of a ultimate one-time subscription purchase. But what is DMing without paying a rediculous amount of money to play what is essentially make believe with your friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (14.4 KB, 4 views)
    Last edited by TylerVan; April 18th, 2019 at 00:41. Reason: Updated as things tried

Blog Entries
    I assume you are running MS Windows (Win 7 or Win 10)?
    #4 is found in your "Network and Sharing Center". It will either show "Home" "Work" or "Public" under your named connection. If it says "Public" you need to change it, usually by clicking on it.
    #5 is your Anti-Virus. What are you using? (Windows Defender, McAfee, MalwareBytes...?) We can help you get an exception setup if you tell us what you are using or you can Google your program and "exception" and you can get instructions for your program.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome and sorry you are having problems. We'll get you sorted quickly.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Win 10
    3.png
    I am using windows defender
    Last edited by TylerVan; April 17th, 2019 at 05:22. Reason: Fixed Pic

Added the FGLauncher and FGupdater as well as the FG steam folder to exceptions and it did not fix the issue

Blog Entries
    Question 2 I think is asking for your Routers WAN IP or Internet IP Address - you will need to login to teh router to get that. Is it the same as the External Address that FG displays?
    I suspect that the router will be something like: 192.168.125.2
    If so you will need to go to 192.168.125.1 and port forward it to the Router WAN address which is then port forwarded to your computer....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Question 2 I think is asking for your Routers WAN IP or Internet IP Address - you will need to login to teh router to get that. Is it the same as the External Address that FG displays?
    I suspect that the router will be something like: 192.168.125.2
    If so you will need to go to 192.168.125.1 and port forward it to the Router WAN address which is then port forwarded to your computer....
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying. The question from my understanding asks what fantasy grounds lists as my IP address, and then what the router via router login says it's ip address is. It is important to note that they are different. Are you saying that I need to go to my modem and forward it the router. I cannot as my isp controls my modem.
    If I am correct you are confirming the problem is with forwarding with the modem which I cannot fix?

Blog Entries
    Ok I am reading your data correctly now.
    Yes you have to have the Modem Port Forward to that 192.168.x.x address

Try loggin in - it might have default passwords or the login might be on the bottom of the router.
    Otherwise call your ISP and ask them to Port Forward TCP 1802 to the WAN IP of the Router.

Ok I am reading your data correctly now.
    Yes you have to have the Modem Port Forward to that 192.168.x.x address

Try loggin in - it might have default passwords or the login might be on the bottom of the router.
    Otherwise call your ISP and ask them to Port Forward TCP 1802 to the WAN IP of the Router.
    Ok thank you. I tried default password already, but they did not work. I will try to see if I can get the isp to do that, although they are usually unhelpful with any problems I have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVan View Post
    Ok thank you. I tried default password already, but they did not work. I will try to see if I can get the isp to do that, although they are usually unhelpful with any problems I have.
    If the person you are speaking to cant/wont help politely ask them to put you onto someone else who can.

If the person you are speaking to cant/wont help politely ask them to put you onto someone else who can.
    Thank you for your help. After attempting to talk to the isp including talking to the basic tech support, their manager, their residential networking installations department, and their supervisor, they have informed me that a technician setting up port-forwarding for residential accounts violates their policies, and they will not allow me to access my modem to set it up myself. Additionally they will not bridge my modem to my router as that is also a violation of their policies. The only way they informed me that it would work is use a VPN or to set up my own modem; both solution will violate my contract with them. I do not know what further steps to take as I live in an area where I only have one choice for an ISP. Thank you all for your help but it looks like I will be unable to use fantasy grounds.

Thread Information