DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I think it‘s disrespect not to join in time. Image a soccer game, where the goal keeper will join the game 15 mins. late... ... or the referee...
    When people take it for granted not to show up in time, you should usually exclude them from gaming. Maybe I‘ll do this if my patience is getting thin.
    A GM invests a fortune in time and money. If people are not willing to play, they should stop playing. A cinema movie will start regardless if someone joins in time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    I think it‘s disrespect not to join in time.
    A GM invests a fortune in time and money.
    Yes, and I think that many players don't really get this, especially new ones. I imagine something like FG Con attracts many new players. I find the players who most often show up on time are the ones who have also been GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Yes, and I think that many players don't really get this, especially new ones. I imagine something like FG Con attracts many new players. I find the players who most often show up on time are the ones who have also been GMs.
    I actually find the opposite to be true, new players tend to be more excited and eager to please so they arrive on time.
    Old GMs tend to be prone to derailing a session or rambling before a session.

I was trying to get a game in order a year back and was having issues with a particular player who would always turn up 30 minutes late and not have his food ready/eaten.
    His excuse was "we always start late anyway"

After he left the group every game has started within 5-10 minutes from start time on average. (there have been a few times when work has run late, but overall it has been reliable for 9 months of weekly games)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    I have the same kind of problems with my in-person group. I ask people to arrive between 5 and 6, game starts at 6. I ask them to come closer to 5 if they want to eat (I usually have pizza waiting for them) or go over anything with their character or whatever. Most of them arrive around 6:15 and ask what kind of pizza we have this time... The answer is always the same: cold pizza.

Communication is absolutely key, whether the group is online or in-person. I also find that a mass email to the entire group is less effective than individual emails or texts directed to each person. If an email that requires action is directed at many, nobody individually feels responsible for taking action.
    Man! You put on the game AND the pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Man! You put on the game AND the pizza?
    And beer, but I make that myself. I order out for the pizza.

5pm you say?
    I'll provide pizza and beer, but sadly not airfare and lodging!

And thankfully my players are pretty good at reimbursing for the pizza. Most of the time.

Hi lesliev Im sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.
    The only way I have found to have people reliably show up is when they are part of a regular group and I communicate with them during the week.
    I was quite fortunate and both my FG Con games had all booked players show up - although two arrived only after an email at game time + 15mins - but they are also GMs and heavy players so tend to be on the more reliable side.

The two things that work for me - over the long term - are to always run the game when I say I will. Even if I only have 2 players. I might not play the scheduled material - we might play a side mission or something completely different, but we play. Of course - I have come down sick on game day once and I have had no power on another - nothing is perfect. By me turning up AND playing (eg not cancelling a game for low player numbers) it builds a reciprocal commitment from players. And communicate regularly. Be proactive with your communications and ask for and expect the players to reply to confirm their participation. For regular groups this is much easier to achieve but insist on it for one shots too.
    This goes for me too. I will even play if only one person shows up. I have had a lot of fun with 1 or 2 player groups, it is a different experience from big groups but it can still be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Flogging.
    Close. The real answer is:
    1) Send your players poisoned twinkies.
    2) Inform them after they’ve eaten them that the antidote will he sent at the conclusion of the game session.

I haven’t had any repeat offenders with this method.

One thing that helps when it happens is to have pregens of the proper level for fighter, wizard, thief/rogue, cleric, and then you let those who do show run what you are missing so you get to 4 PCs, since that is what most modules are designed for.

Thread Information