DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Stetch Goals for FGU Kickstarter

I thought it might be fun to suggest some stretch goals for the FGU kickstarter even though SW haven't requested it. I don't have moderator privileges, so I can't enforce the rules I'm suggesting, but I offer the following guidelines for this suggestion thread that basically echo what SW stated in their announcement video and the spirt of that announcement:
    1. They have stated no localizations in the KS video (too labor intensive).
    2. No stretch goal should jeopardize the December release date.
    3. No sound for phase 1 (probably violates #2?).
    4. No 3d graphics for phase 1.

Although I watched the video, I cannot remember any other absolutes they may have stated in the video, so maybe someone who has a better memory can reinforce the things they have already denied in their video.

So, I will add a few that I think would be in keeping with their mapping/graphics focus:

1. Improved portrait system, where DMs can share portrait libraries they have purchased similar to modules, and the ability to specify portraits that tie to moods you indicate in chat.
    2. They postulated dice skinning as a maybe for phase 1 - why not make it a stretch goal with a few different skins at different levels?
    3. An OnTime event that will enable all kinds of cool extension ideas, especially ones that tie the calendar to real time (e.g. shift role-playing conversation to one-for-one timing but drop to exploration rules for campaign time advancement when not in one-for-one mode [campaign time advances based on how far party moves]).

Blog Entries
    - Ability to import a mask file (typically generated with an alpha channel type approach similar to how varicolor symbols in CC3+ are created) for dynamic map screens.
    - Spell Checking (perhaps as part of an "authoring" mode)
    - Animated tokens (even just animated gifs)
    - Vanity/Custom game aliases
    - Game Statistics service; Game statistics automatically generated like Doug's earlier proof, but built in or self-service online so that we can update the game statistics whenever we want (or each time the campaign is closed?)
    - Map packs with DLoS and/or weather effects already defined
    - FG to RTF similar to the tool Doug has made available on the forums (which I can't find the link for!)
    - Player mapping tools; sufficient tools for players to create their own maps that the entire party can view and edit
    - Colored pins and custom pin icons
    - Community extension and module repository built-in with updater
    - Updater where you can include/exclude products you own (and community extensions and modules) for update
    - Multiple tabs in the chat window
    - Customizable token Bag icons
    - Theme Builder
    - Ref Manual viewer app for phones and tablets

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If the campaign is using the new cloud hosting option in FGU, I would love to have my players have the ability to create or level up their characters while I'm offline, then when I log into FG I see the "you have an update" box and I get their updated characters loaded into my campaign automatically. Not sure if this would even be possible if they don't own all the books themselves, but even if they can't use books they don't own, it would be a cool thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    If the campaign is using the new cloud hosting option in FGU, I would love to have my players have the ability to create or level up their characters while I'm offline, then when I log into FG I see the "you have an update" box and I get their updated characters loaded into my campaign automatically. Not sure if this would even be possible if they don't own all the books themselves, but even if they can't use books they don't own, it would be a cool thing.
    According the the first FGF, it's not cloud hosted, but rather a brokered network connection. So you're server will still need to be up.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would say a very good stretch goal is:
    • Up-to-date and detailed documentation for developers
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Microsoft can’t even do it for VBA. That would delay the release, and it is unsustainable going forward.
    The only way to make that work is require you cannot spiral the next inprovement until docs from last are complete. That would kill the updates we get 3-4 times a year. I think they do marvelous just keeping the API docs mostly up to date.

- Scotch
    Code:
                            .         -=BuBaDragon=-
               _._           ( .   
             .'   `-. (\\     )    He ain't real smart,
           .'    )   `'  _\__'     but boy can he lift
          / (   (___ `.  ___^\_    heavy objects.....
          \ '^^^^^^ .\\-\___\\-`   
    *******`""""""") ;***********************************
                   |/
                   '

Last video I saw (which may be out of date now) showed the Dynamic Lighting to have no variables. So, as a stretch goal, I would love to see them implement the variables associated with lighting, such as torch range, darkvision (both 60 & 120 ft - with switching the map vision to black and white [wouldn't that be impressive}) and any other limitations that the different light sources can give to sight.

Still no 3D????

I know this has been sort-of addressed, but I am just staggered that with all the new updates and stretch goals, 3D maps and characters are not included as one of the goals, not even a simple isometric system. Seeing as how RPGs have been in 3D on computers since Baldur's Gate (OK, "2.5D"), I can't believe that even the newest version doesn't really mention it beyond the default stock answer to everything: "yeah, maybe, someday." Clearly Unity supports 3D very well - look at all the other 3D RPGs made in Unity!

Especially for a genre whose entire history is riddled with figurines and dioramas. Smiteworks, imagine how much money you could make selling character models and animations! You're leaving money on the table! When we have amazing 3D RPGs like Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Original Sin 2, and Pillars of Eternity 2, how can any modern CRPG consider itself up to date without 3D? Models and animations for sale by Smiteworks from all kinds of sources - created in-house, licensed, purchased, stock, player-made, and so on.

I just don't understand why the one single thing that would improve the atmosphere and appearance of FG SO much is really not even being discussed seriously. And that's just for player characters - imagine the gold mines that would be animated monsters, animated spell effects, animated weapons, and so on ("Buy the middle finger emote animation for 25 cents!"). If Smiteworks wants to grow and get rich, why are they just passing by such a huge source of potential income? Yeah, there would be some work, but 1) Unity is *designed* to work well with 3D models, if teensy indy developers can do it...how hard is it to import and animate some models, even if there was only limited support at first? I'm guessing Unity has tools that help that process a great deal. And 2) you have exceeded your goal by like 500% - why are we just seeing tiny little art packs as stretch goals? Want me to pledge a ton of money? Make 3D support a stretch goal! Are you people mad? ;-)
    Last edited by Frunobulax; May 3rd, 2019 at 03:38.

You got your answer on the KS message board I think.

I’d also suggest it would be a totally unrealistic stretch goal and woul seriously delay the release.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 3rd, 2019 at 03:45.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information