5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Local LAN Connection Issue

Greetings,

Sorry to bring this up yet again but my problem might be slightly different than anything yet covered.

I work at a public school and my room is buried behind up-teen routers and switches.

I have 2 computers located in the same room on the same switch. One is running an ultimate license and the other, a standard license. Both computers have static IPs and each can update from the Smitework servers (the website is not blocked). From what I've searched and read - I should be able to make a connection between the two without accessing the internet.

Any ideas of troubleshooting?

I think my next step when I have time is to direct connect the two computers with a single network cable but that would take the internet completely out of the configuration - would that work?

Thanks in the advance to any respondents.

Garth

Are you using the local IP of the GM's computer to Join Game? Don't use the alias.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Trenloe - fast response!

Yep, I'm using the GM's IP on the standard licensed computer that's trying to connect.

Then either something on the network or either computer is blocking the connection.

Make sure that the network connections on both computers is set to private, not public; and add an exception for FantasyGrounds.exe in the security software on each computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Make sure it is the internal IP, not the external.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Then either something on the network or either computer is blocking the connection.

Make sure that the network connections on both computers is set to private, not public; and add an exception for FantasyGrounds.exe in the security software on each computer.
    I should have thought to add I have another big wrinkle here, we are on a domain network. Testing this will require some other setup on my part. I will have to set up a couple of computers off the domain, install the FG software and license and then give it another go. I'll get back after I get that going.

Thanks

I wanted to wrap up this issue. After setting up 2 clean windows PC's without adding them to the Domain, the connection worked as expected. They did not require any other settings (no port forwarding) other than the Private network setting and adding fantasygrounds.exe to the firewall as suggested by Trenloe (or as LordEntrails like to call him T.R.E.N.L.O.E. )

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thread Information