FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

LFP - D&D 5e - Calling old school guys to the Monday Gamers Society

Come join the merry group of old school players known as the Monday Gamers Society. A group of older guys who believe they are still kids playing the best game ever invented.

Our group formed almost two years ago and have played a couple campaigns together. There are 5 of us, but one needs to drop soon due to family reasons. So, we are looking for 1 or 2 players to join our group.
    This is an invite to play in a weekly group, not just a single campaign.
    We are a mature group of 40 and 50 year olds.

We are new to Fantasy Grounds (but not D&D), coming from another VTT. I've ran a few sessions on FG with another group, but the players are all starting in FG.

Here's the technical stuff:
    FG License: GM has Ultimate (players join for free)
    Game System: D&D 5e
    Time Zone: Eastern Time USA (EDT)
    Day of week and time: Mondays at 8:00pm US Eastern (GMT-4)
    Planned Duration & Frequency: 2 ˝ hour sessions, weekly
    Term: Long term
    Text or Voice: Voice
    Voice software used: Discord
    Roleplay & Combat mix: Leans more toward RP, but a session can be heavier on one side or the other based on the story.
    Number of Players in game & needed: Currently 4 players, but 1 has to drop soon; looking for 1 or 2 players.
    Character starting level & equipment: Generally we start at 1st level when we begin a new campaign.
    Character restrictions: All published WotC books allowed.

Type of player we are looking for (and how we game)
    Like to roleplay, but also enjoy smashing creatures with warhammers. A cooperative player. Your character's growth and story is important, you want to explore his or her goals and motivations. Your backstory (origin) is just a starting point, playing in the campaign fully fleshes them out. Your character contributes to the story instead of taking a backseat to watch it unfold.
    Character animosities can arise (which can be fun if done right), but players get along and work together. You are not a power gamer, but don't create worthless and weak PCs. Look forward to the features your character gets as you level up. Take the game seriously but also laid back and able to joke.
    Reliable, when you commit to a game, commit and be on time. Up front notice if you need to miss (life happens).
    A mature age, we're in our 40s and 50s and like to game with those around our age.
    Have a good headset/mic and know how to use mute; respect others, talking and listening.

Myself (the DM)
    I've been playing 5E consistently since it came out, mostly as a DM. Played AD&D (1st ed) here and there over the years. I’m in my (young) 50s. I run a friendly and social game, engaging players as much as possible. I like to collaborate with players about their character’s story and make it part of the game. I enjoy all aspects of the game; roleplay, adventuring and combat. Combat has a reason; it’s not just thrown in.
    I find myself enjoying RP more and more over the years (I suppose like most), so my games tend to lean more towards RP over combat. Although adventuring never takes a backseat.
    I don't add many house rules, I'm a game player not a designer. If a new ruling needs to be made, I'll make one to move the game along; further discussion can take place later if needed.

Interested?
    I have a few questions for you, sorry for the length. I believe RPGs are more than just characters and rolling dice; it's about people, and forming great gaming relationships. We are an easygoing, relaxed and open group. But, as with every group, we have a certain “personality” that may or may not be a fit for you. Below are some questions to help make sure it's a match.
    Send answers to me in a Private Message or post in this thread.

. D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history)
    . Other RPG experience (if any)
    . Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc)
    . Your timezone
    . Longest running campaign you have been part of; or are in.
    . Type of character you generally play or like to play.
    . Are you normally a GM or Player?
    . Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy?
    . How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one?
    . What are your favorite aspects about role playing games?
    . Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube/podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs?
    . Other interesting facts about yourself?

I might have a short chat (Discord) with you so we can get to know each others gaming preferences a little better. Also, there may be a one-shot to get a feel for the group and me before we commit.

I respond to everyone, so you are not waiting or wondering. If you take the time to answer all the questions you deserve some kind of response.

Upcoming Campaign
    We are finishing up a campaign now, within a few weeks we'll be starting a new one (good time to join). It will be a homebrew living world campaign, influenced by the Midgard setting (Kobold Press).

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks for your interest and happy gaming!
    Mark

Interested here.

D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history)- Been playing off and on since 1st Edition
    . Other RPG experience (if any) - Pathfinder, Rifts, Marvel tons of Vvdeo game versions.
    . Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc) - 40's
    . Your timezone - PST
    . Longest running campaign you have been part of; or are in. About a year before my new job conflicted with game times.
    . Type of character you generally play or like to play. - Stealth or Gish
    . Are you normally a GM or Player? - Player, but have dabbled in DM'ing for family and friends
    . Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy? - I'm more into exploration and combat than RP, but understand all good stories need a build up and background.
    . How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one? - Depends on campaign and I do enjoy fleshing out a story for my PC's.
    . What are your favorite aspects about role playing games? - Progression and making friends.
    . Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube/podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs? - I've watched a bit of Critical Role on occasion. And read up on Class optimizations sometimes when I'm not sure how some class features work.
    . Other interesting facts about yourself? I'm a CAD Drafter and Designer. And I love to Snowboard when I can.

. D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history)
    Played D&D basic (Red Box) back in the day with friends. Dabbled a little with GURPS and other various TTRPGs but D7D was our bread and butter.

. Other RPG experience (if any)
    As I said, there were a couple other RPGs but nothing that stuck. I am pretty familiar with 5e Rules.

. Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc)
    I am 44 with 45 just around the corner.

. Your timezone
    MTN (Arizona) time.

The only campaign I have ever been in was my group of friends as a kid.

. Type of character you generally play or like to play.
    I used to be the DM so I didn't get to play much. When I did I enjoyed the theif (Rogue) but I am always looking to try new things. I am currently playing a Dwarf fighter with some friends on Saturday night (2 sessions in)

. Are you normally a GM or Player?
    I usually GM, but I really want to be a player in a campaign.

. Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy?
    I like balance but I do enjoy the RP aspect of the game the most.

. How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one?
    I have 10 characters made in Fantasy Grounds just for the fun of creating them. I love backstory and story driven games.

. What are your favorite aspects about role playing games?
    As stated above...story, story, story. I would kill my favorite character off gladly if it makes the story more intresting.

. Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube/podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs?
    Yes. I am a fan of Matt Colville, Dungeon Craft, the dungeon dudes....ect I also like some of Taking 20 and Nerdarchy but i'm not a fan of the power build style gaming they like.

. Other interesting facts about yourself?
    Not much. I am currently working towards a masters degree so gaming is my stress relief.

mark4,

I am interested as well. I like the detail of what you covered in your post. As you will see in the information below - I am not the most experienced candidate you will see, but I am confident I could be a very complementary member of the group you described, if selected.

. D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history): Advanced D&D, 5E
    . Other RPG experience (if any): Powers and Perils, Twilight 2000
    . Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc): 50 something
    . Your timezone: Central

Advanced D&D 3 Months (Marine Corps - 2 or 3 times a week in Barracks in Okinawa Japan)
    DMing a Homebrew on FG for my 4 Children (29,26,21,18) and a few of their friends since January

. Type of character you generally play or like to play: It has been a while since playing a character - so currently flexible. I see the characters my family and friends play there and as DM I put myself in those shoes - Caster Tank Rogue Ranged etc... would I have done it different? Then I think: dang I wish I could play that type of character...

. Are you normally a GM or Player? Currently GM - desire to develop and role play a character again

. Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy? In my early years I was more about the combat - the tactics (Former Jarhead). Currently I believe that the role playing is key to develop the story with depth of experience. Combat is the crescendo's at times - too much crescendo just equals noise. In my homebrew campaign, I am not rigid on the way the story is role played (sometimes to my detriment as the DM, as I am scrambling to cover an unexpected turn). I like a more open and real feeling "what do you do now?".

. How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one? I enjoy creating characters so much I often create my NPC's in the campaign on full character sheets. I try not to get too carried away on backstories of NPC's but twice in the last couple months those backstories for NPC's became unexpectedly integral to the story line.

. What are your favorite aspects about role playing games? Having fun with friends and family. Suspense. The story line that catches you off guard. The emotions of role playing, especially laughter.

. Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube/podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs? : Been watching Critical Role since January and as I was coming up to speed on 5E watched many different video's (really enjoyed Matthew Colville's instruction) and read a ton of info.

. Other interesting facts about yourself? Currently in my 3rd year of a 4 year certificate program at the University of Chicago covering great books of literature, philosophy, science and history (Held on Saturdays). Learning how to use Gimp to create maps. Go backpacking once a year with my children for about a week.

Hi! Just ant to start by saying never apologize for putting in procedures to help ensure a good group feel. If there is one thing I believe in for TTRPGS it is that a group getting along and being on the same page in regards to play style/game 'tone' are by far the most important parts of making a satisfying (for players and DM) and long lasting game.

. D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history): My gateway drug was novels by RA Salvatore followed closely by Baldurs Gate (cRPG). I spent more time with the game manual (which detailed a lot of the 2nd edition d&d mechanics into a slightly simplified version for the game) understanding how the things I saw on screen resolved as I did playing the game. This was the birth of my 'always creating new characters in RPG "problem"'. I continued to learn the mechanics of systems with 3/3.5 through games like Neverwinter Nights and finally got my first real tabletop experience playing 5e during the playtest. I played with a few friends in university and had a couple decent campaigns befroe we all moved away for 'real life'. Since then, I have tried a couple ways of playing. Adventurer's league at my local store was not for me because nobody really seemed to care about story. R20 for a little bit but I found the user interface weird and players or DMs would routinely go MIA. Eventually decided FG was a good idea and forked over the money for an ultimate licence (1- because I wanted to dm and be able to play with anyone and 2- so I could show I had 'invested' and should be more committed than a 'free-to-play'). In my entire experiecne, I have DM'd one campaign in person (short IRL campaign with accelerated advancement than ended with a TPK at a major enemy; so good narrative stopping point) and a few shorter adventures (1-5 sessions) on FG and one medium term (4 month) campaign also on FG. The short version of this is I know the system, but I am more interested in the story and characters' values, beliefs, goals, and fears than any number writen on a sheet.
    . Other RPG experience (if any): As far as TTRPGs go, just d&d. In other formats I have dabbled in shadow run and warhammer (I would love to play in a warhammer fantasy rpg at somepoint because the somewhat random character generation and the 'mud, blood, and ****' grimness appeal to me).
    . Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc): Compared to you and the others who have posted, I'm a youngin' at 28. For a bit more context for my life, I am currently in the 4th year of a PhD in Kinesiology with my particular focus being on how sport participation in youth may influence 'contribution' or engagement with others, the community, and/or broader society. Basically, I am asking the question "What about sport participation as a youth may make someone more likely to have a positive impact on others around them?". That said there is a slight chance that I may have to schedule data collewction for game time (unlikely, but possible) but I would know at least a few days in advance and let you know as soon as I did. I think we can all agree that real life takes priority over playing a game with elves and magic.
    . Your timezone: I am in mountain time (so proposed start time would be 6pm my time. This works but if it could be bumped back another half hour or hour that would be even better).
    . Longest running campaign you have been part of; or are in: That would be the one I ran that went for about 4 months. We wrapped up the storyline and a couple players had to move so we went on hiatus then just never found a time that worked to get back together.
    . Type of character you generally play or like to play: I like and play a variety of things. As a usually DM, I create many characters that I typically only get to dip my toe into (as NPCs). So I am the kind of player that wants to know the tone or theme of a campaign and have a sense of who/what others are interested in playing then build a character concept that fits the game and isn't likely to step on another character's toes (while you CAN have two rogues in a party that are very different characters, no one really likes when someone else comes in and does 'their thing' better). If I HAD to nail down a type of character then I would say I prefer casters. I really like having options with what to do on a moment to moment basis and you would be extremely unlikely to find me playing a character that akways does the same thing (like eldritch blast every round) unless the CHARACTER (i.e., personality) was really interesting. So with un restricted choice, I would lean towards wizard, cleric, and/or druid.
    . Are you normally a GM or Player?: Mentioned this, but in my TTRPG experience I fairly quickly found myself in the usually a DM position. Fun, but sometimes you just gotta dive deep into a character.
    . Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy?: Prefer a bit more on the RP side. Combat is good, interesting/meaningful combat is better. As far as adventure goes, I am not really looking for a hex crawl, ideally something were points of interest may be stumbled upon and maybe survival checks are made from time to time to avoid getting lost/getting where we are going efficiently. Basically, if it serves the story (macro or character specific) then I am probably going to be perfectly fine with it but if it is minutely tracking how many miles into the woods we get and how many kilograms of meat we can hunt along the way using X resources then you will probably lose me.
    . How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one?: Without any specific promts/guidelines form a DM I stick to about a page. In that I try to give info about my character's early life, a bit of other background info, how they got into their training (or how they became a level X in what class) and in that make sure there is at least 1 (ideally a couple) potential NPCs/places the DM could draw on to engage my character or explore my character's story more. I don't want to write so much of a back story that there are no blank spaces to fill in/improve but I do want enough so that I and a DM have information to pull out and work from (i.e., I don't create the character that has no family and no ties to anyone so the evil DM can't screw me).
    . What are your favorite aspects about role playing games?: You may have picked up on this, but I like the story. Both the overarching narrative like how will/did the heroes save the world from that demon incursion as well as the individual characters' development and most of all, the interaction between characters. I try to treat my characters (PCs and NPCs) as real people with goals, desires, beliefs and fears and for me it is where those interact with other characters and their goals, beliefs, etc that the 'good stuff' of a campaign is found.
    . Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube/podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs?: I watch/listen to Critical Role as it is a good story. I find myself nodding along with most of the advice/ho to think about the game with Matt Colville. But I realize that most of the game is at the table, or for the DM, the material they 'borrow' from. I myself read a ton of fantasy novels as a way of relaxing after work or before bed. RA Salvatore, Tolkien, Ryan Anthony (Blood Song), Terry Brooks, Glenn Cook, Duncan M. Hamilton, AC Cobble, Kel Kade are just a few of the authors whom I have read in the past year.
    . Other interesting facts about yourself? PhD student, fantasy nerd, cyclist, moved most of the way across the country (Canada)... Those would be the highlights. I'm sure there are other things but what is interesting in me to you largely depends on what is interesting TO you.

Final note: I strongly encourage you to talk with me or anyone else you are even remotely interested in potentially playing with. Yes it takes a bit more time, but ultimately it helps both you and potential players determine if there is likely to be a good fit. If you are at all interested in potentially inviting me to a game, please send me a PM here on FG and I am sure we can find a time to chat for a bit on discord.

A quick update. I really appreciate all the responses, in thread and a bunch of PMs. Some are great write-ups!
    We’ll go through them all, and any new ones, and get back to each of you. Thanks!

. D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history) - since 1984 with first edition /advanced and basic D&D. Played up to the current 5thed.

. Other RPG experience (if any) - so many rpg systems lol I will only list a few. GURPS, Champions (hero system) Talislanta, Cal of Cthulu, Pathfinder, ars magica the list just goes on.

. Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc) - late 40's

. Your timezone - USA Central time

. Longest running campaign you have been part of; or are in. - 3 years in a D&D hybrid as a player in a setting called Velencia. 1.5 years running 5th ed as DM.

. Type of character you generally play or like to play. - I have and do play everything. To me the character is more important than the class / race / stats on the sheet. From wretched old hags to shining paladins and everything in between. I hate to be so general but it is
    true. I could share stories lol.

. Are you normally a GM or Player? - Played for decades and DM'd for the most recent couple decades.

. Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy? - Prefer a balance. I like action to drive the story. I am alright with random combat encounters but they should be appropriate and lead to other things.

. How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one? - My character backgrounds are what I would call medium detailed. I like to leave things open for creativity and not nail down every little thing. However They have to have some meat in
    them. Reasons for the character to be who they are, choose adventuring and personal motivations and or goals. special relationships are sometimes documented when appropriate.

. What are your favorite aspects about role playing games? - Creative problem solving and character development. with a dash of adventuring razzle dazzle.

. Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube /podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs? - I watch KnightHeartGaming and a few others and also participate in the Fantasy grounds college discord and classes.

. Other interesting facts about yourself - I am a professional drafter, I also hold design degrees for graphic design. I run a local game in my home using Fantasy grounds on a hand made game table that has screens in it. I am currently in the process of converting decades
    of info and a game setting into Fantasy grounds modules for future play and streaming. I am a member of Dice tyrants, a streaming body of gamers using Fantasy grounds. Etc. etc.

I know there will be lots of people wanting in this limited slot/slots. I do not envy you trying to pick. I would love to get into discord so you can really get a feel for myself and my play ability and demeanor.

I will try not to be too long winded.

. D&D experience (your D&D gaming and version history): Started with 1e and have played (and GMed) most interactions. Personally did not care for the structure of 4e but I know there are plenty who did. To each their own.

. Other RPG experience (if any): Wow, it is quite a list. Boot Hill, Tunnels and Trolls, Bunnies and Burrows, Traveller, Gama World, Villains and Vigilantes, Champions, The Fantasy Trip, Top Secret, Stormbringer, Roll Master, Star Frontiers, Palladium FRPG, Paranoia, Twilight 2000, Mechwarrior, Teenagers From Outer Space, Shadowrun, Hero System, Torg, Mage: The Ascension, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder, Rogue Trader.
    - You will notice that most of those are pre-2000 and at the time I was in two different groups that both met once a week. One of them spent a lot of time bouncing from one system (and GM) to another as we looked for something we all liked. We would play two to three sessions and, quite often, move on to a new system. The other group was a very stable D&D or Gama World (for the most part) group.

. Your age (or decade, 40s, 50s, etc): Early 50's

. Your timezone: Eastern, USA

. Longest running campaign you have been part of; or are in: Longest one was about three years in highschool. Unfortunately, after graduation many of us went different directions so we did not get to wrap it up. Next longest was a two year Gama World game I ran.

. Type of character you generally play or like to play: Almost anything. In a fantasy settings I tend to gravitate towards spellslinger or front-line fighter types.

. Are you normally a GM or Player? Recently I have mostly GMed but am looking for a group I can play in that I click with.

. Do you have a preference on game balance? Roleplay, adventuring or combat heavy? I have always believed that sometimes the only option is to kill people and break things. Having said that my preference is for character development over class leveling. Generally that is through roleplay/adventure.

. How detailed are your character backgrounds? And do you enjoy creating one? It really depends on if I know the character is short term or not. When I know it will be more than a few sessions I enjoy building complex backgrounds. I have developed several back stories that have taken several single spaced, typed pages. Almost never "my parents/family was killed and now I want revenge."

. What are your favorite aspects about role playing games? Interaction with an immersive world and between the characters.

. Do you watch or listen to any RPG youtube/podcasts for gameplay or advise? Read any blogs? I have watched/read a few. I am not as interested in watching others play as I want to get in there and play.

. Other interesting facts about yourself? I am a disabled Army vet so have plenty of time to burn. One of my more interesting campaigns, as a DM, was a 10 session (~5 hours per session) quickie during a deployment. In all ten sessions there were only seven fights and three of them were more two-hit-confrontations than real fights.

Hey, not too bad. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thread Information