5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Table output to Encounters not working properly.

I'm trying to build a table that creates encounters on the fly. I can't seem to get a random number of NPCs through any sort of syntax.

I've tried Boar [1d6], [1d6] Boar, Boar ([1d6]). All of these options work fine when outputting to chat, but when it outputs to an encounter, I always get one boar. Am I doing something wrong?

I figured it out, even though I couldn't find it anywhere in the documentation. The correct syntax is [1d6x] Boar.

More on rollable tables in the 10th video listed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l-Video-Series.

Note also that you can create random encounters and then link those to your table. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...dom-Encounters
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Why are those not listed on the Wiki? I've been away from Fantasy Grounds for a few years, but it feels like the Wiki used to be a lot more organized.

Oh and thank you for your quick response. I'm not trying to be rude, I just find it frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite101 View Post
    Why are those not listed on the Wiki? I've been away from Fantasy Grounds for a few years, but it feels like the Wiki used to be a lot more organized.

Oh and thank you for your quick response. I'm not trying to be rude, I just find it frustrating.
    It isn't in the Wiki because outputting to an encounter wasn't possible when I wrote the Wiki article. Then proper random encounters was introduced so it didn't seem worth going back to explain how to do it via a table when there was a better way. But I do have revising some of the Wiki articles on my list although it's on the back burner right now.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The random encounters are nice, and they are fantastic when you have a single use case, but I like using the tables for multiple reasons:

1) Fewer assets to manage
    2) Weighted Probability
    3) Mixing and matching enemy combinations.

I'm making a jungle crawl for first level 5e players and I'm trying to make it as dynamic and interesting as possible.I would have to create and maintain too many random encounters to achieve the same level of dynamic mixing and matching as I can accomplish with a handful of tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite101 View Post
    The random encounters are nice, and they are fantastic when you have a single use case, but I like using the tables for multiple reasons:

1) Fewer assets to manage
    2) Weighted Probability
    3) Mixing and matching enemy combinations.

I'm making a jungle crawl for first level 5e players and I'm trying to make it as dynamic and interesting as possible.I would have to create and maintain too many random encounters to achieve the same level of dynamic mixing and matching as I can accomplish with a handful of tables.
    Dunno if this will help you - but a nifty trick is you can have multiple rows per line - each row can be a random item or a link to another table - just be careful that any called tables don't call back (creating a loop). I use this for random coins in loot - making a single line table with the coins I need and calling it - so I can get 1d6 gold per bandit if I want.

I think you meant columns rather than rows?

That would be a bit more clear I suppose, wouldn't it? Although it made sense in my own mind :P

Thread Information