STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FG, Lost mine of Phandelver and Player's Handbook

Salutations to all and every,

I have been tasked to try and find a way to play D&D over the Interwebs by our group and came accross Fantasy Grounds which seems to be really nice.

Because I'd like to do a trial run and see how it goes, my plan was to get the Lost mine of Phandelver adventure and at least 1 month of subscrtiption for the Ultimate edition and have the others use the Demo License to see what we can do. But, because we've already ran this adventure around a table, I would like to offer more choices to the other players for their characters.

So, with all that said, if I get the FG Ultimate license, the mine of Phandelver adventure and the Player's Handbook, will we be able to play the adventure with the classes that are recorded in the handbook?

If all that goes well, I will probably get the full license and move to a bigger campaign (I'm thinking of Storm King's Thunder) so it would be really nice if the characters could come over.

Many thanks in advance,

Andro

Yes you can play Phandelver with just itself and the player's handbook. You also get the SRD which has more classes and options though only 1 archetype per class. So you can still make your own characters and not be limited to the ones in the adventure.

There are a bunch of free adventures, plus races and classes over on the DM's Guild too for more options.

But even if you've played Phandelver before, one great thing about it is how well it handles replay because you can go so many different directions. Storm King's Thunder has its own intro adventure also, but it is kinda meh. That is the nightstone chapter. I think WoTC made it into an adventure you can get for free on the DM's Guild.

Thanks for the fast reply and good news indeed.

I was thinking of using the Phandelver adventure because, from what I read of the intro of Stormking's, it might be a better option then the 1st chapter of Stormking.

Time to get this adventure started

Blog Entries
    The subscription + LMoP is a really good way to dip your toes.
    LMoP does include ready to run pre-gens and that would keep your test run pricing low.
    As GavinRuneblade points out you do also have some more options in the SRD (included) or the Player Handbook will set you back another $30 and that gives you many more options.

LMoP is a good intro adventure.

Welcome to the forums & FG Community!.Also note that the character sheet is all free form text, you can put in what ever you want manually.

Welcome to the FG forums.

Some additional info is available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

What you mention will be a good start, as long as everyone's happy playing LMoP again. If nothing else, it will give you a good idea of what's possible in FG with a full commercial module - which will give you some ideas and possible questions about other options/scenarios out there.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Also note, if you buy through the FG Store (i.e. not Steam), there is a 30 day moneyback guarantee. So if it doesn't work out you can return it in that time frame.

Also, don't forget to checkout FG College. They will help you get up to speed quickly!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you all for your answers.

I've gone and set up the basics yesterday and played a bit with the Character creator. Seems to be fairly straightforward for now.

Will continue to learn and hopefully somewhere in the week-end we can start playing.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    learn the golden rule first:

add PCs and NPCs to the combat tracker and from the Combat Tracker to the map.
    And the other golden rules:
    - if you can’t see an options, right-click for a context sensitive menu.
    - records get assigned/added to others through drag/drop of one record to another.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information