5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I'll have to give it a look and a try. Still running Gumshoe games pretty regularly, so more options are always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendase View Post
    ... and I do ask "Does Smiteworks have an existing relationship with Pelgrane Press?"
    Email [email protected] and ask what the current situation is regarding this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by goldendase View Post
    Having slept on it a bit, and with the warm-up out of the way, I've conceptualized a solid implementation of a core GUMSHOE SRD ruleset. Optional extensions for each setting (Trail / Ashen Stars / MCB / FoDG / etc) that implement visual interface differences and "personal sheet" differences (Pillars vs Bonds and whatnot). I see the rule variants from each subsystem presented as FG option sets. This would allow for a toolkit approach where you can pick and choose the custom rules from each system (personally, I like the stun rules from Timewatch in my Night's Black Agents). I estimate it's realistically about five weeks of work (not counting testing and debug), but won't be able to start on it until mid-May (in the process of moving, at present). There are a few good ideas I have that I plan to implement that can make running games in this engine quite smooth.

I'd like to include all the reference materials as well. This obviously runs up against licensing issues. Does Smiteworks have an existing relationship with Pelgrane Press? What is the process for publishing licensed content here? Obviously the reference modules would need to be made available on a commercial basis. To be clear, if this involves me doing anything other than engineering, I immediately lose interest (meaning someone else has to set up legal). Even absent a raw reference datadump to pull from, in the worst-case scenario, I think the process could be expedited by ripping official PDFs and leveraging some simple algos powered by NLTK for processing and structuring the reference modules (with some human/script post-processing obviously being necessary, but NLTK should be able to do 80% of the work for us, and ramp in accuracy quickly with each additional reference doc processed). Estimate on timing here is rougher, but likely another few weeks. The good news would be that the extract / normalization process can be implemented in a generic manner that could be reused with minor modifications for future imports (I've done something similar with some existing RPG books already).
    Hey just wondering if you progressed any further with this idea. Thinking about running an MCB2e game soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Email [email protected] and ask what the current situation is regarding this.
    I don't know the status of the previous agreement, but I did meet Pelgrane's president a couple summers back and she said the company was "keen" to break in more to VTTs out in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by mozmonar View Post
    Hey just wondering if you progressed any further with this idea. Thinking about running an MCB2e game soon.
    I am running an active Esoterrorists game using damned's fine MoreCore ruleset. (A superb feature of MoreCore that lends itself quite well to investigation games is the ability to drag links onto various places on the PC sheet, making note-taking easy: you can drag notes, images, objects, and more to your PC sheet--genius!)

I'm rooting for GUMSHOE and rulesets for it, and since there are differences between different "builds" of the rules in the different settings, different extensions would indeed be nice.

Some advanced functionality would be great. In this ToC ruleset, there was a skills matrix (for GM tracking) included in the Party sheet. It didn't work for Esoterrorists since changing the skill list bolluxed up the calculations, which assumed the ToC skill list (and couldn't find it). Just an example of an advanced feature that a commercially-licensed skillset could do.
    Last edited by Hector Trelane; October 18th, 2019 at 05:00.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Thread Information