Back our Kickstarter Campaign going on Now
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Because it is easily solved with third party programs. Their are only som many things the developers can actually work on. They usually don't chose to work on things that their are already numerous solutions for. Why spend time reinventing the wheel?
    Maybe I am missing what these easy third party solutions are.
    None of 5he solutions presented in ghis thread seem particularly easy to me. Requiring players to all have 2 screens or programming some streaming service on top of writing game material seems less than easy.

  2. #12
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by lousancio View Post
    Maybe I am missing what these easy third party solutions are.
    None of 5he solutions presented in ghis thread seem particularly easy to me. Requiring players to all have 2 screens or programming some streaming service on top of writing game material seems less than easy.
    I posted detailed instructions in your thread you started with this same question.

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I posted detailed instructions in your thread you started with this same question.
    Unfortunately the detailed instructions have not answered the question. It does not allow what I am looking to do as I am essentially asking the same question as the poster of this thread.

  4. #14
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by lousancio View Post
    Unfortunately the detailed instructions have not answered the question. It does not allow what I am looking to do as I am essentially asking the same question as the poster of this thread.
    As mentioned in this thread and the other one you started, your option are;
    - Use 2 or more monitors
    - Use a second computer or smart phone for the video
    - Use an overlay

    Those are the options.

    My car goes really fast, but it can't tow a boat. A truck can tow a boat, but it can't go really fast. Or something like that

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  5. #15
    Why is asking for ideal for something that can be done unreasonable?
    My truck is fast. Faster than my wife's BMW. While I don't tow boats I can tow them. Fast.

  6. #16
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    22,198
    Quote Originally Posted by lousancio View Post
    Why is asking for ideal for something that can be done unreasonable?
    It’s not unreasonable to ask. The reasoning why it’s not in FG and what’s possible outside of FG have been presented to you.

    I’d recommend you check the FG wishlist for something similar to your request and vote for it. If it’s not there already then please add it (and then vote for it).

    The FG wishlist can be found here: http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/


    FG Product Development status: Pathfinder Playtest Ruleset and add-ons: In development. Pathfinder Bestiary, Pathfinder Bestiary 2, Pathfinder Bestiary 3 (in store).

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  7. #17
    Maybe the motives are simply different overall.
    I am far more interested in playing RPGs with friends than learning new technology or becoming over invested in an online system.
    I appreciate the help.

  8. #18
    The way I see it, we have limited screen real estate and it's an individual choice where to spend that. Whether you're resizing FG to make room for a video chat app, using an overlay, or if FG had video chat built in (which it probably never will, for excellent reasons) doesn't really matter. You're still dedicating screen real estate to video chat and making that space effectively useless for FG itself (maps, story entries, etc.). If you're ok with giving up some screen space for FG, there are several options for doing so as discussed.

    If you're not OK with taking screen space away from FG, I agree with you. FG needs as much space you can give it and I don't want to sacrifice any of it for something else. In this case, you have some options I can think of (at least some already discussed also):
    1. Increase your screen real estate, either by getting another monitor or using another device with its own screen for those functions, as already mentioned.
    2. UI scaling in FG can mitigate the problem by making FG on-screen elements smaller, but that's not a great option for many (tiny text, hard to read).
    3. Leave the video chat in the background when you don't need it as much (maybe during combat) and bring it to the front when it's more important to you (probably during role-play).
    4. Go without video chat and use audio only.

    The chosen solution will be different for different people, as it should be.

  9. #19
    Oovoo was perfect, and the only video chat software I've found that allows me to make a small, vertical column of participants. A horizontal bar wastes way too much screen real estate, but every other video chat I've tried either has a minimum window size that's still too big or won't show all participants of equal size (or worse, the window positions dynamically change as users enter/leave -- lookin' at you Discord).

    If anyone knows of a video chat program for Windows that can be arranged to have a thin, vertical column I'd be thankful.
    How to Be a GURPS GM, author
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
    Discord, unofficial GURPS hangout and real-time chat

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMookNet View Post
    Oovoo was perfect, and the only video chat software I've found that allows me to make a small, vertical column of participants. A horizontal bar wastes way too much screen real estate, but every other video chat I've tried either has a minimum window size that's still too big or won't show all participants of equal size (or worse, the window positions dynamically change as users enter/leave -- lookin' at you Discord).

    If anyone knows of a video chat program for Windows that can be arranged to have a thin, vertical column I'd be thankful.
    Vsee Messenger is what we use for my remote games and stream. You can check out the quality and stuff here: https://www.twitch.tv/dm_catalyst. The windows can be configured to be sized/oriented however you want. You can have them all in a single window, or they can each have their own windows each with their own title based on the user's registered name. They still won't "overlay" on top of other active windows, but you can set them to the side vertically if you wish. It's the best option I have found for either streamers or people wanting the flexibility to orient their windows however they want. It also has the perks of being designed for healthcare - so very low bandwidth, secure, and free with built-in screen sharing and stuff like that. You can register (free) and download it here: https://vsee.com/messenger/
    Last edited by Catalyst20XX; April 14th, 2019 at 21:09.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in