DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

5e Class, Background, Race, Feat interpreted strings

For anyone making classes, races, backgrounds or feats I have tried to document all of the strings that FG interprets. Using these strings will allow FG to automate certain behavior as detailed for each one.

Class fields
    HD Per Level, default is 1d6
    Searches for XdY string to determine the dice value - note that if you use a non-standard die you will not be able to spend hit die, it has to be one of the standard 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12 or 1d20

First level and Multi-class proficiencies
    Skill When adding a skill proficiency, FG looks for the following strings in the description of the trait. You MUST capitalize the skills and spell them exactly as they appear on the skills tab of a character sheet. Otherwise FG will silently add a new skill.
    "Choose NN from " - Where NN is a number from 1-9 written out. (one, two, three, etc)
    "Choose NN skill(s) from " - Where NN is a number from 1-9 written out. (one, two, three, etc). The “s” is optional, so it could be “Choose one skill from” or “Choose two skills from”
    The list of skills may be separated by “and”, “or”, or a comma “, “
    Examples
    “Choose two skills from Arcana, History, Stealth, and Survival”
    “Choose one skill from History or Stealth.”
    “Choose three from Animal Handling, Athletics, Acrobatics, Animal Handling”

Spellcasting / Pact Magic - When adding the “Spellcasting” or “Pact Magic” feature, FG scans the text of the trait looking for the following string "XXX is your spellcasting ability" where XXX is the name of the ability. The ability it finds will preset the ability selected as the default for the Spells power group and all spell save DC’s and attack bonuses are calculated using it.

If the spellcasting feature includes the text "Preparing and Casting Spells", then FG will calculate and set the number of prepared spells to 1 + ability bonus (minimum of 1).
    These are the only text strings searched for within the spellcasting and pact magic class features. The progression of spell slots for a casting class is not determined by what is described within the feature definition, it is instead automatically calculated based on the level that you get the spellcasting/pact magic feature.

Draconic Resilience If you have a feature titled “Draconic Resilience”, FG will check your armor to see if you are wearing any armor, and if not, it will add 3 to your AC and add the additional hitpoints. FG does not look into the text of the trait.

Unarmored Defense If you have a feature titled “Unarmored Defense” FG will check your class and add the appropriate stat modifier to your ac calculation. If you are neither a barbarian or monk, it will not automatically add anything.
    Barbarian will add Con
    Monk will add Wis.

Skills when added as part of a class feature
    All skills must be properly capitalized and spelled exactly as they appear on the skills tab of a char sheet.

"proficiency in the XXX and YYY skills"

"proficiency in the XXX skill"

"proficient in the XXX skill"

"trained in the XXX skill"

"proficiency in WWW skill(s) of your choice" where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc)

"proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice" this phrase is followed by the list of skills to choose from.

"proficiency with WWW of the following skills of your choice" where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc) and the phrase is followed by a list of skills to choose from.

"proficient in your choice of WWW of the following skills" where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc) and the phrase is followed by a list of skills to choose from. After this wording if the phrase "proficiency bonus is doubled" is found, it will double the proficiency bonus for the selected skills.

Racial Trait
    Ability Score Increase If you have a racisl feature “Ability Score Increase” FG looks in the text of the feature for the following strings.

"your ability scores each increase" - All ability scores will increase by 1. You cannot set it to increase by any other number.

"your XXX and YYY scores increase by NN" - ability scores XXX and YYY will increase by the number NN.

"your XXX score increases by NN" - ability score XXX will increase by the number NN.

"Your XXX score is reduced by NN" - ability score XXX will decrease by the number NN.

"two other ability scores of your choice increase" or "two different ability scores of your choice increase" - In addition to any previous ability score increase string found, you will get to select 2 ability scores to increase. These will only be increased by 1 and you cannot select any other number.

"either your XXX or your YYY increases by NN" - you get to select either ability XXX or YYY to be increased.

Age A trait named Age will be ignored and not added to the character sheet.

Alignment A trait named Alignment will be ignored and not added to the character sheet

Size If you have a trait named “Size”, FG will look in the text of the trait for the phrase
    "Your size is XXX" where XXX is one of the standard FG sizes. This will set the characters size to XXX. If no text is included, or there is no trait named Size, it will default to using Medium.

Speed If you have a trait named “Speed” FG will look in the text of the trait for the following phrases to set your speed correctly.

"walking speed is NN feet" or "land speed is NN feet" - set speed to number NN. It will default to 30 if it cannot determine the number.

"swimming speed of NN feet" - This will add a swimming speed of number NN in addition to your default walking speed.

"flying speed of NN feet" - This will add a flying speed of number NN in addition to your default walking speed.

"climbing speed of NN feet" - This will add a climbing speed of number NN in addition to your default walking speed.

Fleet of Foot If you have a trait named “Fleet of Foot”, FG will look in the text of the trait for the following phrase to modify your walking speed.
    "walking speed increases to NN feet" - NN is a number

Darkvision If you have a trait named “Darkvision” it will add that to your character senses. FG will look at the text of the trait and if it finds any number in the text, it will use that number as the distance for the darkvision, otherwise it will just leave the distance portion blank.

Superior Darkvision If you have a trait named “Superior Darkvision” it will add that to your character senses. FG will look at the text of the trait and if it finds any number in the text, it will use that number as the distance for the darkvision, otherwise it will just leave the distance portion blank.

Languages If you have a trait named “Languages” FG will will look in the text of the trait for the following phrases to add languages.

"You can speak, read, and write XXX" or "You can read and write XXX" where XXX is a list of languages. The list of languages is separated by "and ". It can also include the phrases "one extra language of your choice" or "one other language of your choice" Each of the languages in the list will be added to the char sheet.

Extra Language - If you have a trait named “Extra Language” FG will add "Choice" to the languages portion of the char sheet.

Dwarven Toughness - If you have a trait named "Dwarven Toughness" FG will automatically add the appropriate additional HP

“Natural Armor” If the character has a trait with the name “Natural Armor” FG will scan the text of the trait to determine the armor calculation. It looks for the following strings:
    "your dexterity modifier doesn't affect this number" - if this string is present, FG will not apply Dex to the AC.
    It will then check for one of the following strings to determine the base ac.
    "your ac is XX" or "base ac of XX"

"Cat's claws" If you have a feature titled “Cat’s Claws” FG will add “Climb 20 ft” to your speed

Gnome Cunning If you have a feature titled Gnome Cunning FG will auto give adv on int/wis/cha saves against magic.
    Last edited by mattekure; November 11th, 2020 at 17:12.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Feats
    Feat increasing stat.
    Increase a singly ability
    "Increase your XXX score by NN, to a maximum of OO" Increases the ability XXX by number NN to a maximum of number OO.

Choice of ability to increase.
    "Increase your XXX or YYY score by NN, to a maximum of OO" Increase the ability XXX or YYY by number NN to a maximum of number OO.

"Increase your XXX, YYY, or ZZZ score by NN, to a maximum of OO"

"Increase your XXX, YYY, ZZZ, or QQQ score by NN, to a maximum of OO"

"Increase the chosen ability score by NN, to a maximum of OO"

Feat giving proficiency
    Armor Proficiency
    "gain proficiency with XXX armor and shields"
    "gain proficiency with XXX armor"

Weapon Proficiency
    "are proficient with improvised weapons"
    "gain proficiency with WWW weapon(s) of your choice" where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc)

Skill Proficiency
    "one skill proficiency of your choice"
    "gain proficiency in the XXX or YYY skill"
    "gain proficiency in any combination of WWW skills or tools" where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc)

Tool Proficiency
    "one tool proficiency of your choice"

Feat granting other bonuses
    Languages
    "Learn WWW language(s) of your choice" where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc)
    "learn to speak, read, and write XXX"
    "fluency in one language of your choice"

Initiative Increase
    "gain a [+-]NN bonus to initiative" Plus or Minus number NN to your initiative

Passive perception increase
    "have a +-NN bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception)" Plus or Minus number NN to your passive perception, this appears as a bonus on the Main page of the char sheet

Speed increase
    "Your speed increases by NN feet"

"Increase your walking speed by NN feet"

Background Skills
    "Choose WWW from among " where WWW is the spelled out number between one and nine (one, two,etc), and the phrase is followed by a list of skills

"XXX, plus your choice of one from among " where XXX is a Skill followed by a list of skills

"XXX and one Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma skill of your choice, as appropriate to your faction" where XXX is a skill. You cannot select other stats or any other phrasing

Auto calculated by FG
    The following feats, traits, etc are repeats from above. In most cases, these are hard coded and will automatically apply their effect just by having the trait/feature.

Feats
    Tough - auto adds new HP
    Medium Armor Master - auto modifies AC calculation

Feat
    “Dragon Hide” If the character has a feat with the name “Dragon Hide” FG will scan the text of the feat for the following string to determine armor calculation. "your ac as XX". If you also have the natural armor trait, it will take the higher of the two calculations

Traits
    “Powerful Build” If the character has a trait with the name “powerful build” FG will automatically calculate the encumbrance as if they were one size larger.

Racial feature
    Dwarven Toughness - Having this trait will add appropriate HP changes
    Last edited by mattekure; April 2nd, 2019 at 14:10.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    This is amazing!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blog Entries
    Nice work Matt, thanks for sharing

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Can this go on the wiki under classes?

I dunno if that’s really the place for it. I’ll think about it, right now i’m Tied up with other stuff so it’s on the back burner.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Hi.

I am wondering if there is a way (for race) to select two ability score increases where the first is increased by 2 and the second is increased by 1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Hi.

I am wondering if there is a way (for race) to select two ability score increases where the first is increased by 2 and the second is increased by 1.

Thanks
    No, there is no combination of language that allows that.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Hi.

Thanks
    You could do it the way the changelings were done. Use the pick two to each go up by 1 for the base race than each subrace gets +1 to something different, or choice of two. Bit hacky but you can work with it flavorwise too and make the decision meaningful for something more than just raw math.

Cool, thanks, the sub-race thing would work.

Thread Information