STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Saving Campaign and Fog of War

Hi everyone, (very) recent purchaser and first time poster here with probably a noob question.

I think I have my head wrapped around the basics but I have a couple of questions that will come up specifically if my group and i are partway through a large dungeon/map, finish for the night and come back to it at a later date:

1 - How do I save the campaign? I have been using /save in my tests
    2 - Will the fog of war save or when I reload that map will I need to remask the whole thing and then manually reveal where they have been rather than it saving as a state with the layer of fog already on? (and therefore already revealed for where they have been)

Thanks,

Jam

Hi, jamzilla83, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

FG will save automatically at various intervals, though I confess I do not know how often. I usually do a /save before closing out just in case though I suspect it is unnecessary; I don't generally /save while in the middle of the campaign though but I do /save frequently when prepping.

Fog of war will be saved and in the exact same state as when you last left it. All tokens you had on the map will still be there too.

Happy gaming!

Welcome to the forums and FG Community!

It auto saves every few minutes, and when you right click to exit the program, but /save works also.
    Map state is saved in the campaign data so they only see what you have previously revealed.

Welcome to the forums.

FG will automatically save all your data when the GM exits the campaign (if the GM is on a Mac or Linux they must use the desktop right-click menu to exit, don't just close the operating system window). FG also saves campaign data every 5 minutes. There's no need to use the /save command - that's really just there for testing/debugging.

All current state of data is saved (except which windows were open) - mask, token positions, initiative tracker current actor, etc.. You should be able to start exactly where you left off.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok thanks everyone. I am on a Mac running two instances- one gm and one player via localhost - just for context.

I will continue my tests and look forward to really getting to grips with FG!

Quote Originally Posted by jamzilla83 View Post
    Ok thanks everyone. I am on a Mac running two instances- one gm and one player via localhost - just for context.
    As you're running on a Mac, make sure you exit using the desktop right-click menu as mentioned above.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Key piece of advice

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    As you're running on a Mac, make sure you exit using the desktop right-click menu as mentioned above.
    Thanks for this. It would be amazing to be able to collect all these short, to the point and helpful points for all mac users. First time caller, long time fantasiser. Thanks for all of your work.

FG never saves my campaign, been testing solo before I do anything with a group. Every time I open it back up I have to reload everything maps, characters, everything is gone from desktop area, empty. Is this normal, does not save any progress no logs nothing.
    Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

No it's not normal. FG saves your campaign every 5 minutes or so as well as when you exit. Did you install FG to the default locations? Also do you have t least a Standard license? Can you provide a screen shot of your campaign folder contents. Click th folder icon top left of the start screem and then on campaigns and then on the name of your campaign. Finally do you have full read/write permission to that location?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    No it's not normal. FG saves your campaign every 5 minutes or so as well as when you exit. Did you install FG to the default locations? Also do you have t least a Standard license? Can you provide a screen shot of your campaign folder contents. Click th folder icon top left of the start screem and then on campaigns and then on the name of your campaign. Finally do you have full read/write permission to that location?
    Forgot, was going to state this in OP. I have Ultimate License, FG Unity and it is Installed on E:\Progrm Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds folder.
    I checked Read/write permission seem ok

Thread Information