5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 93 of 132 First ... 43839192939495103 ... Last
    Plus, in addition to the mask having to be created in a separate app, saved off, imported, and cleaned up; we also have to consider whether it makes sense to add even more options to UI as well as testing and maintaining an additional capability only used by a small subset of users. It’s not that it isn’t an interesting approach; but we want to weigh everything not just “features”.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Lots to consider

Yes the mask image approach would generally only be for those who make their own maps, or have access to the native files used to make the image. The advantage is that often when making maps, Something akin to the mask is already part of the map making process. With CC3+, this is a sheet (think layer) that is used to give dungeon maps a depth feel (or a Walls sheet all wall entities are on). Depending upon the cartographers method, it might be something they create in Photoshop etc as well.

So, from that perspective, it doesn't matter how simple or complex the map is, an element or set of entities that are already existing can be used to make the mask. Something that I did in my sample image while riding in a car today in about 10 minutes. And that's never having done the process before. With macros and a previous experience, it's something that might take me 1-3 minutes at most once the "process" is known (might even go so far as to say it might get as simple as activating a macro, making two mouse clicks, and then entering an image file name).

Now, who does this help? Well, folks like me who create 3rd party content for FG who make our own maps. And it might help folks like AAW, Frog God, etc if their cartographers do similar. But it might help even in the conversion of official content as well. Some of the WotC artists also use wall masks and compatible applications. If SW can give them six simple steps to create the mask in their native application (that's how many steps it took me without macros in CC3+), it might be something the cartographer would be willing to do.

But, SmiteWorks has to make sure it makes sense. They had tried it before but I'm not sure how they got the mask image and they said it required substantial cleanup. I'm hoping the process I used, and the quality of the mask image it generated, overcomes those quality issues. Hopefully, we shall see.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would like to preface this with I have no experience with programming and have no clue how difficult it would be to make something like the following;

I was playing ESO this weekend after a long session of FG Saturday group and I was wondering how difficult it would be to create a platform like ESO with that 1st person or over the shoulder game experience? I would love to have that type of experience and view while running through a dungeon and activating powers on my character sheet.

I am in no way complaining about what we have.

I am very thankful for FG maps, tokens, powers, books - everything.

I have no idea what it would take to make an ESO like experience in FG, but the thoughts did cross my mind while playing ESO.

I am really surprised some of the big game name brands have not created that experience for players in the RP community, maybe there is not enough of a player base for it to economical?

I know I would invest in a project like that in a heartbeat.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter - Ultimate Game Master - Party Edition - I am number 2 of 100.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantherin View Post
    I would like to preface this with I have no experience with programming and have no clue how difficult it would be to make something like the following;

I was playing ESO this weekend after a long session of FG Saturday group and I was wondering how difficult it would be to create a platform like ESO with that 1st person or over the shoulder game experience? I would love to have that type of experience and view while running through a dungeon and activating powers on my character sheet.

I am in no way complaining about what we have.

I am very thankful for FG maps, tokens, powers, books - everything.

I have no idea what it would take to make an ESO like experience in FG, but the thoughts did cross my mind while playing ESO.

I am really surprised some of the big game name brands have not created that experience for players in the RP community, maybe there is not enough of a player base for it to economical?

I know I would invest in a project like that in a heartbeat.
    Perhaps you missed the Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 games?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Perhaps you missed the Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 games?
    I did not miss them, they just didn't leave a lasting impression nor was it in line with what I am envisioning.

I played them, just do not remember being an FG type experience.

Perhaps I should log back in, and see what I missed...
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter - Ultimate Game Master - Party Edition - I am number 2 of 100.

NWN had scripting that allowed for a person to build a campaign, build environments and NPCs/monsters/etc. So yeah, some people did use it as a pseudo-VTT. The trick is that making it work basically required one be a coder since even something as basic as opening a door needed to be scripted, the out of the box tools were sparse to the point of being useless to anyone without a technical background. So technically it can do what you're asking for, but the work involved would make it fairly unfeasible for the average DM. Divinity: Original Sin 2 also had what it called GM Mode, and was somewhat user-friendlier than NWN. It may be a better option for that sort of 3D VTT experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Valatar View Post
    NWN had scripting that allowed for a person to build a campaign, build environments and NPCs/monsters/etc. So yeah, some people did use it as a pseudo-VTT. The trick is that making it work basically required one be a coder since even something as basic as opening a door needed to be scripted, the out of the box tools were sparse to the point of being useless to anyone without a technical background. So technically it can do what you're asking for, but the work involved would make it fairly unfeasible for the average DM. Divinity: Original Sin 2 also had what it called GM Mode, and was somewhat user-friendlier than NWN. It may be a better option for that sort of 3D VTT experience.
    Thanks for the additional information.

I never tried the Divinity line...I may look on Steam and see if it is a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherin View Post
    I have no idea what it would take to make an ESO like experience in FG...
    Investigate how many thousands of hours of development time ESO spent on their 3D engine, graphical assets, effect generation, etc., etc. and you'll get an idea of how much work this type of thing takes.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

To be fair, Smiteworks did buy a company that had shown 3D dungeons in a VTT, so it's not unreasonable for a person to inquire after 3D dungeons in FG. The only thing preventing me from being all hype about 3D dungeons is the thought of how much of a hassle it'd be to get good models for furniture/monsters/NPCs/etc. It's much easier to make a good-looking 2D map.

Blog Entries
    Well I used NWN and NWN 2 for about 9 years total to run online campaigns so it most certainly is/was possible.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information