Page 85 of 106 First ... 3575838485868795 ... Last
  1. #841
    Quote Originally Posted by BadByBirth View Post
    Hi Doug,

    I must state I disagree with the logic.
    If you buy a house over renting you don't state that after x years of buying it, you are living in it rent free.
    They are different products and different services.
    Comparing them like this is treating those who bought a 1-time fee like 2nd class citizens.
    If you don't want people paying a 1-time fee for your product, don't offer the option, or don't 'punish' them for doing so when they do.
    I know software development costs time and money (I was a developer myself at some point in my career), and you need to fund it.
    I get you are creating a product which has value.
    I don't get why when someone bought it should matter.

    Another point I feel conflicted about is this:

    "FGC will continue to work fine for you and you can go on about your business."
    Q. Will the current version of Fantasy Grounds still be available after Unity is released?
    A. Yes. But not necessarily indefinitely
    This reads to me like all effort will go into FGU, FGC will just be expected to keep on working, but don't expect any more updates on it.
    And after a couple of ??? we'll pull the plug out of it anyway...

    That being said, it doesn't really matter since your prices are set and mind is made up.
    I however won't be upgrading to the FGU version since I think $60 on top of the $110 Ultimate + $200 worth of content is more than I'm willing to spend.

    Good luck with FGU, hope it turns out well.
    It will. Thanks.

  2. #842
    Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    The Quickslots at the bottom already correspond with the function keys on the keyboard. F1 will activate the first slot, F2 the second, etc. The Ctrl-F#, Shift-F#, Alt-F# all work as well. (at least on a PC)
    Thank you wndrngdru, I learn something new all the time about FG.
    Ultimate License holder, enables Demo Players to join my games for free.

  3. #843
    Zacchaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    10,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Styrmir View Post
    Thank you wndrngdru, I learn something new all the time about FG.
    I assumed you knew this but it was something else that you were looking for. My first though was well that’ll conflict with the fkeys but he must know what he’s on about
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea to the wish list http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

  4. #844
    You'd think right *laughs*! Of all the knowledge I've accumulated about FG since starting to run, create modules and and write extensions for it, that was not one of them. Must have slipped right past me.

    Luckily we have such a great community here, that someone is bound to know and better still willing to share to help out.
    Ultimate License holder, enables Demo Players to join my games for free.

  5. #845
    In the future, could line of sight mechanics/layers be used for difficult terrain and modifying movement speed? Could it be used for partial cover (AC bonus) calculations?

  6. #846
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    In the future, could line of sight mechanics/layers be used for difficult terrain and modifying movement speed? Could it be used for partial cover (AC bonus) calculations?
    Not all rulesets use "AC".

  7. #847
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    7,463
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    In the future, could line of sight mechanics/layers be used for difficult terrain and modifying movement speed? Could it be used for partial cover (AC bonus) calculations?
    Its possible. There was some discussion on parts of this already. Currently FG doesn't restrict movement based on movement speed, so the ruleset would have to start tracking that first, before terrain could start impacting that. Partial cover is something that could also be done, but IMO its unlikely because again it is going to be ruleset specific and FG would also have to calculate the sight line between the source, target and cover to see if the cover is in the way. Not something technically impossible, just something that would cause many people heartache because of the various ways to interpret such rules.

    BUT, all that said, if you want to see something like this, it's always best to check the Wishlist and then add the suggestion there. If lots of people want something, then SW will give it more weight and consideration. http://fg2app.idea.informer.com

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  8. #848
    Zacchaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    10,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    In the future, could line of sight mechanics/layers be used for difficult terrain and modifying movement speed? Could it be used for partial cover (AC bonus) calculations?
    Welcome to FG.

    This kind of thing would need to be done for each ruleset so it isn't something that will be part of the initial version of Unity at least since rulesets won't be changing (much) at this stage. As others have noted each ruleset is different so it's not something that could be generally programmed into the FG client itself.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea to the wish list http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

  9. #849
    Ampersandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by BadByBirth View Post
    I must state I disagree with the logic.
    If you buy a house over renting you don't state that after x years of buying it, you are living in it rent free.
    They are different products and different services.
    Pretty much everybody I know who has bought or is thinking of buying tells me they were fed up paying
    someone else's mortgage and having little to show for it, they'd rather pay their own.
    No harm, but these are exactly the same service—somewhere to live.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadByBirth View Post
    Comparing them like this is treating those who bought a 1-time fee like 2nd class citizens.
    If you don't want people paying a 1-time fee for your product, don't offer the option, or don't 'punish' them for doing so when they do.
    I know software development costs time and money (I was a developer myself at some point in my career), and you need to fund it.
    I get you are creating a product which has value.
    I don't get why when someone bought it should matter.
    I really wish more companies would "punish me" with massive discounts. Seriously 60%. I laughed when I
    saw how little they were planning to charge for this. I was chuffed (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chuffed)

    Quote Originally Posted by BadByBirth View Post
    That being said, it doesn't really matter since your prices are set and mind is made up.
    I however won't be upgrading to the FGU version since I think $60 on top of the $110 Ultimate + $200 worth of content is more than I'm willing to spend.

    Good luck with FGU, hope it turns out well.
    I'll admit, I don't understand the willingness to throw away a $200 investment in content. Maybe you feel entitled to the 80% they're offering others. Since you have a $200 investment I assume that means you've been using the software you paid $110 for.

    One other point, I don't understand how you think they're punishing people for buying the license. Since you're saying it's going to cost you $60 that means you've had the software since at least December 2017

    December 2017 - December 2019 (projected release date) 25 months.
    25 x 10 subscription = $250
    Oh noes they've totally ripped you off by forcing you to pay $110 dollars
    for using the software for 25 months instead of $250.

    I see you joined the forums in April 2017. That means the difference in Veteran and Rookie $30 is for 10 months of using the software. About $3 a month.

    If you'd subscribed in April and bought the following January you'd have been $70 out of pocket. I don't see why you think you're getting shafted here.

    Obviously, this a matter for you and your wallet.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; May 13th, 2019 at 12:47. Reason: Grammar and spelling

  10. #850
    I have been playing on a subscription for a year now ( $10 ) a month

    Kickstarted for $139 for Ultimate Licence ( was going to full purchase FG anyway eventually )

    quite happy, I dont feel cheated at all and looking forward to the beta

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in