Page 29 of 106 First ... 1927282930313979 ... Last
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    I would suggest people stick with FGC for actual games until the full release of FGU. While it may be fully-featured (as far as FGU phase 1 is concerned), the beta will almost certainly be buggy and unreliable compared to FGC. That's just the nature of betas. Hitting a bug in the software is a crummy way to interrupt a game session...
    Yeah, I will be using it for when I test out different systems or run oneshots to explore new functions (primarilly combat map and memory constraint related).

    Beta should be by definition be feature complete though.

  2. #282
    With respect to the use of demo during the beta... I agree, you want people to use it for sessions to find those bugs. However, that must be balanced against their consenting to participating in a beta.

    A demo user is a potential purchaser of the product. If they haven't opted in to the beta because only the DM opted in and the DM has an ultimate license... that is not a best case scenario.

    Groups where all the users have opted in is the smart path ahead, in my opinion. That is obvious where everyone is already onboard with a license. It may require some obtaining of consent with respect to demo users. Smiteworks may develop a plan to address this. It is certainly not an insurmountable obstacle. (It may actually have to be addressed if any part of the beta will be under an NDA... which requires the consent of each individual.)
    Ramza

    If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

  3. #283
    Have 5 DM's (out of our discord group of 19). We took a DM vote and decided we are all doing Kickstarter Ultimate. We will be testing between DM's before we throw it to the group. We left it up to them to decide if they wanted to purchase or run demo's. And that's the way it is.
    Last edited by Grommit57; April 15th, 2019 at 19:12.

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza0Tyr View Post
    With respect to the use of demo during the beta... I agree, you want people to use it for sessions to find those bugs. However, that must be balanced against their consenting to participating in a beta.

    A demo user is a potential purchaser of the product. If they haven't opted in to the beta because only the DM opted in and the DM has an ultimate license... that is not a best case scenario.

    Groups where all the users have opted in is the smart path ahead, in my opinion. That is obvious where everyone is already onboard with a license. It may require some obtaining of consent with respect to demo users. Smiteworks may develop a plan to address this. It is certainly not an insurmountable obstacle. (It may actually have to be addressed if any part of the beta will be under an NDA... which requires the consent of each individual.)
    Or it could create a kickback if people back at an ultimate level with alpha or beta in mind and cannot do anything with their hundred dollar purchase until December.

    I think the best option for FG would probably be "purchases of FG:U during the kickstarter grant a FG:C license. Avoiding that issue somewhat with a statement regarding beta access requiring people to use standard edition FG:U or higher to connect for now.
    This is if they do not wish to have a FG:U demo version open, but that could be its own issue.

    But we don't know what they are planning at the moment, hence asking the question. Guessing does nothing at this point and only SW has the answer.

  5. #285
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    7,466
    Blog Entries
    9
    SW has stated that purchasing an FGU license during the KS will not grant an FGC license.

    SW has stated that in order to stream FGU you will need an agreement with SW because FGU Beta will be under a license (i.e. NDA) that requires an agreement to stream.

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post

    I think the best option for FG would probably be "purchases of FG:U during the kickstarter grant a FG:C license.
    Not your Business, so your thoughts on the matter are irrelevant.

    I am sure that Doug thought about this ahead of time.

  7. #287
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    22,636
    Please keep discussions and comments polite please.

    It’s fine for people to post their thoughts and hopes for the FGU Kickstarter and product.


    FG Product Development status: Pathfinder Playtest Ruleset and add-ons: In development. Pathfinder Bestiary, Pathfinder Bestiary 2, Pathfinder Bestiary 3 (in store).

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  8. #288
    I would be totally into that, just to be able to say I had to sign an NDA once.

  9. #289
    Mortar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    832
    Blog Entries
    18
    Hopefully the XML in FGU will be able to use the UTF-8 character set instead of ISO-8859-1. My biggest hope for FGU
    Ultimate License Holder
    List of completed DLC products

  10. #290
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    Or it could create a kickback if people back at an ultimate level with alpha or beta in mind and cannot do anything with their hundred dollar purchase until December.
    IN most cases a Kickstarter is paid for at end of the campaign and delivered months later. I dont think that will be a big hurdle.
    Beta testing does look like it could be restricted to groups where they all get in n the Kickstarter though?

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in