FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 16 of 132 First ... 614151617182666116 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Not announced, but if you look at the image of the launch screen, there is a radio button for "Cloud" So I assume their is the ability to have your campaign hosted on FG servers with FGU.
    Oh, I didn't see that. That would be AWESOME. I hope it pans out like that. I would prefer to use FG over anything else.
    "I game... Therefore, I am..."
    The Zen Game Master
    https://thezengm.blog

[QUOTE=LordEntrails;432332]Yes, the time is listed as 9am PDT, which is noon EDT.

Thank you
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

no Cloud sync must be an obstacle for a lot of users. Opening a firewall port is simply not an option in many situations. In 2019 there are many technologies that could make this simple, GraphQL and NoSQL and Firebase to name a few. If it's not in initial release, should be low hanging stretch goal.

As one that is just now dabbling into the FG world can someone please summarize why a FG Unity is a good thing? I'm having a terrible time with my online group to even get this a try over Roll20 because they've been using Roll20 for several years. Anything you can tell me to help convince the Doubting Thomases in my group would be most appreciated!

Current FG is built on 32 bit code and gobbles up resources on computers. Unity ought to be a shortcut to better CPU/GPU performance, fast 64-bit apps, Mac and Windows and Linux native cross platform (instead of using WINE), and a few packaged multiplayer technologies that Smiteworks could leverage to make their job easier. Other than that, it's still a ton of software development on top of the Unity framework. There are plenty of these software frameworks out there, and they chose this one because... I'm not really sure but maybe because of its GPU optimizations? It gives them a foundation to build onto the app with fresh code and more support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wtripp08 View Post
    As one that is just now dabbling into the FG world can someone please summarize why a FG Unity is a good thing? I'm having a terrible time with my online group to even get this a try over Roll20 because they've been using Roll20 for several years. Anything you can tell me to help convince the Doubting Thomases in my group would be most appreciated!
    3 main reasons FGU is "good"
    1) network architecture, FG is client-server and sometimes this means people have to setup port forwarding or a VPN to allow their players to connect with them. FGU should solve this.
    2) FGU will be 64-bit; current FG is 32 bit which means the total amount of RAM that it can use (regardless of how much is on a computer) is 3.7GB. 64 bit removed that limit.
    3) FGU is expected to have dynamic line of sight, i.e. what Roll20 calls advanced fog of war

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by M836139 View Post
    I am hoping Unity includes a means to host from the cloud. I love FG but I travel for work and I cannot host in most of the hotels I stay at. I've done a good bit of work trying to get it to work (VPNs, etc) but my group is rarely successful connecting to me.
    Most people can get FG (for GMing) to work from a hotel. I'm in a hotel right now and it's working for me. But, there are only specific VPNs that will work and these might need some additional config. If you're interested in trying to get it to work on the current FG (before FGU comes out), I'd recommend starting a new thread in the House of Healing forum for some assistance. We can usually get people working!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    3 main reasons FGU is "good"
    1) network architecture, FG is client-server and sometimes this means people have to setup port forwarding or a VPN to allow their players to connect with them. FGU should solve this.
    2) FGU will be 64-bit; current FG is 32 bit which means the total amount of RAM that it can use (regardless of how much is on a computer) is 3.7GB. 64 bit removed that limit.
    3) FGU is expected to have dynamic line of sight, i.e. what Roll20 calls advanced fog of war
    Thank you for this! 64-bit would be wonderful as would dynamic line of sight. Appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Quote Originally Posted by sturtus View Post
    Current FG is built on 32 bit code and gobbles up resources on computers. Unity ought to be a shortcut to better CPU/GPU performance, fast 64-bit apps, Mac and Windows and Linux native cross platform (instead of using WINE), and a few packaged multiplayer technologies that Smiteworks could leverage to make their job easier. Other than that, it's still a ton of software development on top of the Unity framework. There are plenty of these software frameworks out there, and they chose this one because... I'm not really sure but maybe because of its GPU optimizations? It gives them a foundation to build onto the app with fresh code and more support.
    Thank you for answering! I actually prefer the client/server approach as browsers seem to add a layer of instability that frustrates my players when they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    No, but maybe in the future. Unity can compile for tablets and phones but there needs to be design considerations there.
    First of all, congratulations on all the hard work put in by the SW team to make this happen. Can't wait to back the KS.

I just had one quick question. You said Unity can compile for tables and phones..... I know there is no intention of making a mobile version (at this time) but my question is does these mean we may be able to open this on a mobile device to access modules when on the go. Or maybe when playing IRL... Kinda like a different service...

**cough cough** D&D Beyond **cough cough**

Thread Information