5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Map Grid

Yes, you'll have to make sure you place a FG grid on the map that represents 5 feet if you want all of the FG measurements and token sizing to work correctly.

Even with a map that has a 5' grid on it, there can be times when you can't line up a FG grid accurately - due to the map not being exactly the same grid size across the whole area, bad scan/sizing, etc.. For some users it's OK to get "good enough" and nudge the grid up/down/left/right as actions changes across the map to get a better representation. It all depends on the map and what you're prepared to live with.

Some users will do pre-processing to get their map more FG ready - there's the map alignment tool already mentioned, but as you're on a Mac you probably can't use that without messing around with Wine or other windows emulation. Here's a video that gives an idea on how to better prepare maps (including sizing) using Paint Shop Pro (but the same principles can be applied to GIMP and PhotoShop): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...rescale-1a.wmv Of course, resizing can have it's own issue - introducing artifacts, losing some details, blurring, etc. - so it may take you a few attempts to work out a process that works well for you.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Yes, you'll have to make sure you place a FG grid on the map that represents 5 feet if you want all of the FG measurements and token sizing to work correctly.

Even with a map that has a 5' grid on it, there can be times when you can't line up a FG grid accurately - due to the map not being exactly the same grid size across the whole area, bad scan/sizing, etc.. For some users it's OK to get "good enough" and nudge the grid up/down/left/right as actions changes across the map to get a better representation. It all depends on the map and what you're prepared to live with.

Some users will do pre-processing to get their map more FG ready - there's the map alignment tool already mentioned, but as you're on a Mac you probably can't use that without messing around with Wine or other windows emulation. Here's a video that gives an idea on how to better prepare maps (including sizing) using Paint Shop Pro (but the same principles can be applied to GIMP and PhotoShop): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...rescale-1a.wmv Of course, resizing can have it's own issue - introducing artifacts, losing some details, blurring, etc. - so it may take you a few attempts to work out a process that works well for you.
    Finally, thanks. It worked very good and now I understood what the other posts talked about.

Just for the seek of knowledge I found that in my case was better to scale it as 48 px as I had to divided by 3 and grid takes only integer numbers.

I am new to fantasy grounds unity. Just trying to get this to work for my pen and paper campaign. Long story short we are playing Temple of Elemental Evil pen and paper 2e rules. My players want to upgrade to 5e rules. There is a lot of rule changes that lend to a miniature format type play a lot more so in 5e than 2e. So I decided to look into converting to the fantasy grounds unity format to handle the map/los/token positioning and status effects. In short to handle the bookkeeping to speed up play. In 2e we had been playing 3 1/3 feet to a square or 40 inches. So 3 squares to a 10 foot wide corridor. Then a door way was a common size 40 inches so one token can block the door way. It was centered on the 10 foot wide corridor.

So Now I see 5e rules set the grid to 5 feet? Is that a 5e rule or done for fantasy grounds specific? I do not know 5e rules by heart yet. I would like to continue to use our 3 squares= 10 feet but it seems as if I am fighting fantasy grounds unity programming trying to do it that way. Perhaps I need to change to 5 foot squares. I am wondering why the change? Doors do not center on a 10 foot passage with 5 foot sizes.
    If you stand at home in a 40 inch door way you can block it. A 5 foot door way would be difficult to block. It seems awkward to me to use 5 foot square sizes for 5e. Can some one explain why we use 5 foot squares in 5e fantasy grounds unity? I need to find a compelling reason to make the change.

Fantasy Grounds scales each square in the grid to 5ft. You can use this extension to change that - but I'm not sure that it works in inches https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sion-(CoreRPG)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Thread Information