FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Map Grid

Map Grid

Hi,

I have looked around and I saw many posts but honestly I didn't get how to solve the problem.

I have a .jpg map (72 dpi) with a grid and I need to set each square as 15ft., How can I do it?

1) I have Mac so I cannot use many of the tools

2) I have both GIMP & Photoshop

Thanks for the help

Some rulesets allow you to change the scale per grid square (Savage Worlds and GURPS spring to mind). Most won't without changing it via code for all images.

What ruleset are you using?

Are you asking how to change the image itself outside of FG? Or to change a grid square in FG to be 15 feet?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry I didn't know. I am using 5e.

How to Change the image out of FG but after I want to fit the grid inside FG as well just as 1 square = 15 ft and not 5ft.

Blog Entries
    5E does not allow you to change the size of a square. It is always 5ft. So you will want to set your FG grid to 72/3 pixels. Which is 24 pixels.

You could resize the image in an image editor like GIMP or use the Map Align Utility from the forums here but you don't need to. Any way, you will get soemthing of an "overlap" as the image grid will still be visible every third square.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks Guys,

I may find a way just by reading you . I do it inside FG. It is not the best but it is working so I am fine with it.

In short, when I've loaded the map in FG, I went to set grid, which said for example the square is 42, and I wanted 15ft. As LordEntrails said 5e is sticked with 5ft so I've just divided in this case 42 by 3 (5+5+5 =15) which is 14. Then I've drew the grid as 13+1 (+1 for the line of the grid) and it overlaps.

Probably, this is how they did even before but I did get from the other posts.

Thanks a lot and sorry if it is double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Drogo210 View Post
    Thanks Guys,

I may find a way just by reading you . I do it inside FG. It is not the best but it is working so I am fine with it.

In short, when I've loaded the map in FG, I went to set grid, which said for example the square is 42, and I wanted 15ft. As LordEntrails said 5e is sticked with 5ft so I've just divided in this case 42 by 3 (5+5+5 =15) which is 14. Then I've drew the grid as 13+1 (+1 for the line of the grid) and it overlaps.

Probably, this is how they did even before but I did get from the other posts.

Thanks a lot and sorry if it is double post.
    There is an extension which allows you to set how many feet a square represents. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sion-(CoreRPG)

You can try loading that and see if it gets you what you are needing.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    There is an extension which allows you to set how many feet a square represents. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sion-(CoreRPG)

You can try loading that and see if it gets you what you are needing.
    It is a nice extension I wasn't aware of, but the issue is that the token does not scale . What I was looking for was a way to set a square as 150 dpi in this case instead of 50 dpi, so when you draw the grid it will be done automatically.

However, if 5e recognized only 50x50 the only way I found do fix it was as I said above. If you have any other better idea please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you're not getting confused with 'dpi' (dots per inch, which only has to do when you print something, and nothing to do with how something is displayed on a computer screen) and how grids are rendered in FG.

As mentioned, without that extension, 5E uses a grid that represents 5 ft. That distance is only used in displaying sizes for pointers (unless you are using one of the few extensions that use the range for other things).

When it comes to token scaling, if you turn on the GM option for automatic scaling, the tokens will automatically scale to 80% (or whatever you set the option value to) to the grid size (one grid for medium, 4 for large, etc). You can also manually scale tokens, or if all tokens are the same size in pixels, you can set the scale of one token, then use the 'Lock Token Scale' function.

I worry that you are trying to fight the system to get what you want, and not understanding or know of some of the built in functions in FG.

In almost every case, it should not matter what the image size/resolution/pixels per square is of the map image. As long as it's an evenly divisible number, you just place the grid in FG (42 pixels, or 50, or 72, or 113...) and then tokens get scale automatically etc. Note, you might end up using tokens from different sources, and these might have different pixel sizes (i.e. some might be 100 pixels, other 150 or 200); and the best way to handle that is to use FG's automatic scaling.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Make sure you're not getting confused with 'dpi' (dots per inch, which only has to do when you print something, and nothing to do with how something is displayed on a computer screen) and how grids are rendered in FG.

As mentioned, without that extension, 5E uses a grid that represents 5 ft. That distance is only used in displaying sizes for pointers (unless you are using one of the few extensions that use the range for other things).

When it comes to token scaling, if you turn on the GM option for automatic scaling, the tokens will automatically scale to 80% (or whatever you set the option value to) to the grid size (one grid for medium, 4 for large, etc). You can also manually scale tokens, or if all tokens are the same size in pixels, you can set the scale of one token, then use the 'Lock Token Scale' function.

I worry that you are trying to fight the system to get what you want, and not understanding or know of some of the built in functions in FG.

In almost every case, it should not matter what the image size/resolution/pixels per square is of the map image. As long as it's an evenly divisible number, you just place the grid in FG (42 pixels, or 50, or 72, or 113...) and then tokens get scale automatically etc. Note, you might end up using tokens from different sources, and these might have different pixel sizes (i.e. some might be 100 pixels, other 150 or 200); and the best way to handle that is to use FG's automatic scaling.
    Maybe I miss-explained myself, but that was the conclusion of my though. There is no way to set an image to be 1 square = 10/15 etc.. feet in 5e because the square you are going to draw in FG will be always recognized by the system as 5ft, doesn't mattr how many pixels you have x inch. So the only way for what I see to overcome the issue is to set a smaller or bigger square-grid according to how many squares you want inside the square that comes with the image.

The images just to explain myself a bit better
    NoGrid.jpg
    1Squarex5ft.jpg
    Medium Size Token.jpg

If now instead of drawing a square of 42 you draw a square of 13 (42/3 -1 for the line grid)

1Squarex15ft.jpg

The token now has the correct size according to a 15ft x square, but still the grid doesn't overlap 100% red arrow.

Hope I clarify myself.

Try setting your grid size to 42/3=14 and then use the arrow at top to shift the grid for better alignment.

The "-1 for the line grid" looks like it is causing you to have a cumulative offset error on the grid. Consider that 4 squares on the original map would have a net width of 4x42=168 pixels, but your grid size of 13 applied across 12 squares would be 12x13=156 pixels. That ends up being 12 pixels off after only 4 squares; almost a full extra square.

Thread Information