DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

SWADE: Editing and/or Adding Arcane Backgrounds

I'm planning to run a game in a custom setting, and it uses custom Arcane Backgrounds. Is there a way for me to rename the Arcane Backgrounds available in the Powers tab, or to add new ones?

When I googled about the subject, I saw some posts about doing this but the posts were years old and seemed to assume the reader was familiar with modifying the program. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I'm brand new to Fantasy Grounds so please try to explain not only what to do, but how to do it, assuming I don't know even the basics. I'm more than willing to read any documentation you can point me to.

Being able to either create new Arcane Backgrounds with associated Skills, or to rename the existing Backgrounds and Skills, would be all I need.

Related note: The SWADE character sheet treats the Power Points for Weird Science differently from the other Arcane Backgrounds, which is a holdover from previous editions that as far as I can tell no longer applies.

I don't have anything to add to this request, but I too would love to know how to create a new background (using a custom sci fi setting)

+1 for the Weird Science issue. Ran into that this weekend myself.

I'll probably try to sit down and figure this out again tonight. If anyone has any tips on where to start just learning how to create extensions in general, that would be helpful. More importantly, though, is any information that would help me locate the specific information I need to change. Is it possible for me to look at the code for the sheet directly?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, and I'll update everyone if I figure anything out.

On the weird science issue I reposted a link to PEG forum response here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post431957

Sadly on the actual thread I don't have anything to add beyond ETU changes the character sheet to handle the modified arcane background via an extension, so that is likely the way to go. It is not specific to savage worlds but Damned did a whole series on making an extension for MoreCore which explains how extensions are made and how they effect the character sheet. The same principle can likely be applied to Savage Worlds as well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ding-Tutorials

Hope these are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    On the weird science issue I reposted a link to PEG forum response here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post431957

Sadly on the actual thread I don't have anything to add beyond ETU changes the character sheet to handle the modified arcane background via an extension, so that is likely the way to go. It is not specific to savage worlds but Damned did a whole series on making an extension for MoreCore which explains how extensions are made and how they effect the character sheet. The same principle can likely be applied to Savage Worlds as well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ding-Tutorials

Hope these are helpful.
    The PEG thread is referring to Deluxe. Adventure Edition handles Weird Science the same way it does the other ABs, in regards to Power Points. A Weird Scientist no longer assigns his points into devices unless he takes the Artificer Edge. That means we need Current and Max Power Points entries like the other Backgrounds, but currently there is only Max.

The tutorials should prove helpful, though. Thank you!
    Last edited by Technomorphic; April 1st, 2019 at 13:37.

I'm happy to help people walk through changing an extension to include custom AB. I'm not an expert at it, but I've done it a few times.

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) United States; GMT -5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by GunbunnyFuFu View Post
    I'm happy to help people walk through changing an extension to include custom AB. I'm not an expert at it, but I've done it a few times.

GBFF
    That would be fantastic. For my purposes, I think all I need is just to give an AB a custom name and associated skill. For example, I'd like an option for Arcane Background (Adept) using the custom skill Chi.

Shoot me a PM with your availability. I can jump into FG Discord and walk you through it..you'll need an editor (I suggest notepad++). No problem.
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) United States; GMT -5 hours

Thanks to GunbunnyFuFu for providing the sample file and explaining how to use it!

If anyone wants to use custom Arcane Backgrounds in your game, here's how you can do so:

1. Download the attached EXT file
    2. Change the file extension from .ext to .zip and unzip the contents.
    3. Navigate to the scripts folder, and open launcher.lua in a text editor. GunbunnyFuFu recommended I use Notepad++ and it worked great.
    4. If you want to get rid of the default backgrounds, leave the line "ArcaneManager.unregisterAll()" in place. If you want to keep the default backgrounds, remove it.
    5. in the section labeled "register Arcane Backgrounds" you'll find "CustomName#" in quotes. Change the name to the name of the Arcane Background you wish to add. Make sure you leave the quotes and don't change anything outside of them.
    6. In the quotes after "skill =" you'll find "CustomSkill#". Change this to the name of the skill the Arcane Background uses. Again, leave the quotes and everything outside of them unchanged.
    7. If you wish to use the "Weird Science" layout for tracking power points, change "main" to "individual"
    8. Delete any extra lines, or copy and paste a previous line to edit if you don't have enough for the backgrounds you wish to add.
    9. Save the file.
    10. ZIP the whole directory structure back up, with the extension.xml file on the top level.
    11. Change the file extension from .zip to .ext
    12. Place the newly created .ext file in your extensions folder, which you can find by going to settings in the Fantasy Grounds launcher and looking under "Data Directory".
    13. When you launch your campaign, load the "Custom Arcane Backgrounds" extension.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Technomorphic; April 2nd, 2019 at 02:33.

Thread Information