DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Backing up Campaign and custom data

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to ask this, hence I am asking it in the Tavern.

FG is an offline installable system (offline as in if the DM's PC is off, players can't access the data). I assume that all my purchases are linked to my player ID and can be re-downloaded any time, but I what about all my custom stuff and all the Campaigns I create? What is the "recommended" way of backing up everything? Or is it actually backing it up on a FG server?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can back up your campaign folder any way that you like except it is not recommended to sync your campaign folders to a cloud based storage system. None of your custom data is backed up automatically so it's something that you will want to do yourself. I use a software package to backup my campaign folder to a second hard drive once a week. You could also use Windows built in back up or you could just zip up the folder and save the zip file somewhere other than your main drive.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks guys.

@Zacchaeus Why should I not sync that folder to the cloud? Is it so that I don't, by mistake, delete it from the cloud? Or because FG doesn't play nice with the extra files?

That being said, can I simply take these files, drop them in the same location in a new installation on a laptop and it will work fine?

I ask because I will be building my campaigns on my PC, but I might be taking my laptop to my group to play.

Thanks again for the assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Oopsilon View Post
    Why should I not sync that folder to the cloud? Is it so that I don't, by mistake, delete it from the cloud? Or because FG doesn't play nice with the extra files?

That being said, can I simply take these files, drop them in the same location in a new installation on a laptop and it will work fine?
    People have reported corruption of their data when using a cloud sync, which is why it's not recommended. But, as you said, you can simply make a copy of your files and use those as your back-up.

Blog Entries
    Copying your campaign data to the cloud is fine.
    Storing your live campaign data in the cloud can result in data corruption as the sync tech only sees files and doesnt understand how the app is using them.

Got it! Thanks guys.

And is "restoring" as simple as dropping the files in the same location?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsilon View Post
    Got it! Thanks guys.

And is "restoring" as simple as dropping the files in the same location?
    Yes. But close FG - or at least exit your campaign(s) before restoring.

Yes, of course. This would be more for when I switch computers.

Thanks for the help!

There's a batch file somewhere in the forums that will back up your data automatically every time you exit.

Thread Information