5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Reading purchased rulebooks/adventures without the software?

Hi, I used the search function but did not find the answer.

Is there a chance to read the adventures or rulebook offline, like on my commute to work?
    Or can't I only read them via the FG software?

It would be incredible convenient if I could use the "dead" time of my commute to read them but I'm not sure if this is possible due to copy protection.

Yes. Although not with the Fantasy Grounds Software (if you don‘t want to carry a Microsoft Surface tablet around).
    The only choice I know and use myself is DnD Beyond: https://www.dndbeyond.com
    And yes, I can hear lots of people saying ... but I already bought it on a different platform, etc.
    I can tell you I bought some resources 4 times. Hardcover english/local language, VTT, and for electronic reading.
    You didn‘t specify the rule system. Similar applies to Pathfinder, where you can purchase PDF documents.
    Last edited by Targas; March 13th, 2019 at 08:48.

I already use DnD beyond and purchased the player handbook there for character creation.
    And I bought the player handbook here too with some other books.

Can you tell me which advantage a adventure bought via DnD beyond has? If I can only read it trough I would rather but the paper version.

Edit: rules for 5e.
    Last edited by Tabatha; March 13th, 2019 at 09:16.

There's no advantage buying an adventure on D&D Beyond over what you'd get buying the book other than I suppose being able to read it on a computer.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Like I thought, thank you.

Than I would rather purchase an additionally printed version to my purchase here or copy some parts down that need some more preparation.

Blog Entries
    You do know that you do not need FG to be online in order to use it right? Yes you have to use FG to read the products you have bought, but once you have done an update, the content is on your computer. If you have a laptop you can take it with you and read via FG while on your commute.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

What would be really cool is if Smiteworks could get somebody to make an android and iOS app that could read the reference modules. I don't know if that is stretching their license though.

@Tabatha - the best you can do, if you don't want to take a laptop with you, is leave FG running on a computer at home and use some form of screen share. Unfortunately, this might not be very good over a mobile phone network (and might use up your data pretty quickly if you're not on an unlimited plan).

Otherwise, I know it's not great and seem very backward in this day and age - take screenshots on your computer of the few pages of the reference manual you want to read and upload these to your phone/tablet.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Better yet, switch to pathfinder and you get the pdf for free!

I would add that DnDBeyond also is great for searching, and specifically searching across multiple sources.

Thread Information