5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Effects Coding (Is it in the material?)

I want to know what is within the material such as Xanathar's guide to Everything, PHB, DMG etc. The effects that go with spells or abilities, are they already coded as part of the purchased content or do I have to buy an add on/make them myself?

Blog Entries
    Spells generally are setup to automatically parse their effects as needed. i.e. for NPCs this is when the spell is in their spellcasting trait and they are added to the Combat Tracker, for PC's this is when the spell is added to their actions tab.

Now, that's not to say every spell will have automated effects. Some spells FG can't do an effect for or the effect may not have a good interpretation etc.

Racial abilities, no, I don't think so. But I believe Mr. Z has a thread around here with the racial and class effects from Xanathar's.

If their is a certain effect you are looking for, try searching the forums, it's probably already answered or specified somewhere.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I guess not, and that‘s why rob2e is offering the effects package on dmsguild?!
    https://www.dmsguild.com/product/226...ate_rem=878507

I ask because I know that some people take the base game and combine player extensions or make their own tables and such. I just want to know that if I spend on the materials I get these things already. Sometimes it is hard to parse the messages on this board because you don't know if what they are describing is DIY only or part of a book already offered.

Fantasy Grounds has an internal parser which looks at a spell or ability when it is placed in the actions tab or in the case of an NPC on the combat tracker and tries to interpret the wording. If the wording is recognised then FG will automatically create an effect. In some cases where the parser can't make sense of the wording the effects are 'hard coded' into FG.

Not every spell or ability will have or need to have an effect but the bulk of spells certainly will create an effect when drag/dropped into the actions tab. Now some of them might be a little 'off' and in some cases additional effects can be added by the user. However there is no need to purchase any additional content. There are packages available here and on the DMsGuild which assist with effects but there is no compulsion to use or buy those. Those packages really just save you time since you can add effects yourself once you figure out how to do them.

Bottom line is not everything is automated. How much time you want to spend looking into and creating effects yourself is down to personal preference, time available etc. Purchasing additional content from the DMsGuild is entirely optional.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    I guess not, and that‘s why rob2e is offering the effects package on dmsguild?!
    https://www.dmsguild.com/product/226...ate_rem=878507
    This is the exact package I was also looking at the prompted my post. Is this type of material for the DIY player. Can I just buy the Xanathar's and get this already etc. I know that people say "search the forum", but like I said, it is hard to know who is just DIY type person. While that is great, I'd rather jump right in with premade material and I don't mind buying. I just want to know what I'm getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Fantasy Grounds has an internal parser which looks at a spell or ability when it is placed in the actions tab or in the case of an NPC on the combat tracker and tries to interpret the wording. If the wording is recognised then FG will automatically create an effect. In some cases where the parser can't make sense of the wording the effects are 'hard coded' into FG.

Not every spell or ability will have or need to have an effect but the bulk of spells certainly will create an effect when drag/dropped into the actions tab. Now some of them might be a little 'off' and in some cases additional effects can be added by the user. However there is no need to purchase any additional content. There are packages available here and on the DMsGuild which assist with effects but there is no compulsion to use or buy those. Those packages really just save you time since you can add effects yourself once you figure out how to do them.

Bottom line is not everything is automated. How much time you want to spend looking into and creating effects yourself is down to personal preference, time available etc. Purchasing additional content from the DMsGuild is entirely optional.
    Zac, you seem to be implying that the answer to my question is that YES, when I buy Xanathar's, the material within already has pre-coding for effects if possible within the constraints of the program. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Gitmo View Post
    This is the exact package I was also looking at the prompted my post. Is this type of material for the DIY player. Can I just buy the Xanathar's and get this already etc. I know that people say "search the forum", but like I said, it is hard to know who is just DIY type person. While that is great, I'd rather jump right in with premade material and I don't mind buying. I just want to know what I'm getting.
    Well, I had my players creating chars. One of them took a 5E Barbarian with the rage skill. I tried to replicate the effect action manually, but rob2e‘s variant was more comprehensive then what I could produce. So it saved me alot of time. Either I did something entirely wrong, or it is not present by default. At least by creating a char, it‘s not auto populated by default. That‘s what I can say.

Targas, what material do you own? Are you using the base 5e modules or did you buy PHB, DMG etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Gitmo View Post
    Rob does great work. And I've bought his coding package myself. Not because I use it, but because sometimes I have players who want to. It makes it easier for those who are used to it.

FG used to not have a lot of spells and abilities parsed to effects and Rob's modules were one way to get them. Now the official sources do have effects that parse automatically, but I'm sure there are still a few things here and there (like I don't think Mirror Image has an effect, which can't really be given an automated effect, but I myself have an effect I use to keep track of the number of remaining images).

So, I don't think anyone is going to say that when you buy Xanathar's you get effects for 100% of things, you probably get 90% and those things that don't are things that RAW don't really need or can use. But, I suspect with Rob's you will find he has effects for things that don't even impact the automation of FG (like mirror image).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information