FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[Cypher System] Armor and "Other" Advancement

Hello, I've noticed that for some reason, the armor section of the character sheet in the Cypher System is still configured to work like it did in the original Numenera. Meaning that it increases Might costs and reduces max Speed instead of only increasing Speed costs.
    Also, there's no "Other" option to check in the advancements, it's really bugging my players and we've resolved to add a note saying what they upgraded, but it'd be nice if the option was added.
    Is there any way to fix those issues? Anyone know if whomever did the system is still around? Perhaps they could fix that, otherwise an extension seems to be in order.

P.S. Also, the Ciphers can still be categorized between Anoetic and Occultic but those classifications are now useless.
    Last edited by Samzagas; March 9th, 2019 at 07:19.

The Numenera ruleset is in maintenance mode; and does not have an active developer. It was built with the original Numenera rules.

Regards,
    JPG

Those are sad news indeed, but still thanks for the info.

Oh, Dang. Would so have liked to run a campaign in it.

I'll take a look at the Numenera and Cypher System rules in this area, and see if there's an easy way to make it behave the way you want. For the record, we do now have a Cypher System ruleset, and a couple spin-off rulesets (Numenera and The Strange) off that, so it should at least be theoretically possible to have armor work differently between them. Stay tuned...

Darrenan,

If the newest version of Numenera matches The latest armor rules, I would just change to match the latest.

If you don’t get to it, let me know and I’ll get to it eventually.

JPG

Pernille, the changes are rather minor so you can still use the ruleset to play the game you'll just have to keep in mind the changes.

That is super news. Thank you

It looks to me like Numenera Discovery is using the same method as the Cypher System Rulebook, which is the increased effort cost. The copy of The Strange that I have is still using the Might cost and speed pool reduction like the original Numenera rules. I think Gods of the Fall and Predation assume Cypher System as the base, so they would inherit from that.

I guess there are various ways I could approach this:

1. Make this a setting in the base cypher system ruleset that lets you choose the armor system you wish to use.
    2. Cypher System ruleset uses increased effort costs. Numenera has a setting to choose which armor system to use.
    3. All Cypher-related rulesets use increased effort costs, since that seems to be the direction they're moving overall.

Thoughts?

P.S. I personally dislike the Might cost + Speed Pool reduction. I think it's overly complicated and penalizes wearing armor too much. My opinion.

Personally, I'd side with you darrenan. I tend to think that the new way it's set up is a refinement of the rules. Plus, it's less maintenance than keeping multiple house rule options all working. I'm going to guess that most people that will use the ruleset are using the latest anyway.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information