STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Old modules

Old modules

Can i distribute old modules such as ravenloft or u1 for free as fg modules

Nope, you can't distribute any copyright material - even for free.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Wonder how nwn got around it back in the day oh well

Blog Entries
    The closest you can do (if you are careful) is conversion notes like ClassicModulesToday does.
    https://classicmodulestoday.com/

About the best you could do would be to make all the encounters and the item parcels. All the text, images, etc would have to be left out and added by the individual or read from a print or pdf version.

EDIT: Oh, and you could only use SRD NPCs and items unless you distribute via the DMsGuild.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpmaura View Post
    Wonder how nwn got around it back in the day oh well
    They had a license.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    They had a license.
    U think wizarss would grant fg one. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by wpmaura View Post
    U think wizarss would grant fg one. Oh well
    They only have a license to produce 5E material. Even if WotC did grant a license to FG for material from older versions of D&D, it still wouldn't allow community members to distribute material - giving Smiteworks a license to produce commercial products doesn't remove copyright protection on those original products.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    It wouldn't make sense to give a license for old module like U1 while they make a new product for 5e with a conversion U1-3 included in it. Many of the5e product from wizards are conversion or inspired by old module, temple of elemental evil / prince of apocalypse, G1-3 giant module / Storm King's Thunder, Ravenloft / Curse of Strahd

Granted, it is a limited market - but some folks just never switched to 5E or did and switched back. Those conversions are uninteresting to me since I only run 1E/2E games. I do play in 5E though.

But I know WotC are not showing interest in selling licensing on their older products. If they did, I'd be buying up all that stuff a second (in some cases 3rd) time but nope, they don't make it legal to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    They only have a license to produce 5E material. Even if WotC did grant a license to FG for material from older versions of D&D, it still wouldn't allow community members to distribute material - giving Smiteworks a license to produce commercial products doesn't remove copyright protection on those original products.
    One of the big selling points of NWN was that people were allowed to due exactly that so people bought NWN knowing that there was a ton of module support even for older modules. I dont see what it wouldnt work that with FG, maybe if they didnt have a demo version. The more modules out there the more people would use FG. And if its legal for me to reproduce it and play with my friends, whats stopping me from then giving it to john to play.

But my question has been answered. I was defiantly wondering why no one had done it yet.

Thread Information