FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Local Dice Tower Extension (LDTE)

THIS EXTENSION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

As of late September 2023 I've not played D&D in over a year now.
    It's doubtful that I will return in the near future.
    Currently I have no interest, nor time, to maintain it.

This extension provides a small icon on the character sheet that forwards certain dragged or double-clicked dice rolls from the character sheet to the dice tower even if the dice tower is covered up by other windows. By using the Options panel the GM/DM can choose which of the supported fields they want to redirect from the chat box to the dice tower.

Multiple, but not all, rulesets are supported (CoreRPG, PFRPG, 3.5E, 5E).

## STOP!! ##
    ## Before downloading and trying to use this extension READ,
    ## UNDERSTAND and be willing to COMPLY with the instructions
    ## and limitations stated in posts #1 - 4 of this thread.
    ## STOP!!

The following posts to this thread contain additional information and you should peruse them:
    #2 - What it does, how and why. Plus restrictions and licensing.
    #3 - Versioning information.
    #4 - Known issues. Caveats. Work under construction. Acknowledged enhancements. And what ever else.

FGU users can subscribe to receive automated updates of this extension in the Forge (here).

This extension is not available for FGC.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 27th, 2023 at 14:28. Reason: ADV/DIS rolls fix (v0.0.7)
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries

What the Local Dice Tower Extension Does.

Extension Necessity:
    I never have enough room on my Virtual Table Top. I don't have 17 monitors to view everything when I'm playing. I use a laptop. There tends to be a lot of window/dialog juggling. My DM just found the Dice Tower and loves it. Every time I have to roll, that little bugger, the Dice Tower, is always buried beneath about four windows. Perfect fodder for an extension.

Extension Use:
    This extension places a control, in the guise of a mini Dice Tower, at the top of the character sheet. So when you have to make a roll from your character sheet, from any tab, you just drag the dice on to the mini Dice Tower and it forwards it to the main Dice Tower. That's it.

In the screenshot below, like you need one, I've shown the skills tab of the character sheet. And a representation of dragging the die to the main Dice Tower, a representation of dragging a die to the Local Dice Tower and the results of the two rolls in the chat. IMPORTANT NOTE: the Local Dice Tower does not appear in the DM's copy of the character sheet. The DM can't roll into the dice tower the ruleset prevents that, and even if he/she could, the roll is not hidden from him/her. It doesn't make sense in the context of this extension.
    Untitled.png

Extension Interactions:
    Many new users of Fantasy Grounds see the huge variety of community developed extensions available to them and they load 'em up. "What could be better than all this additional functionality?" The answer might be none of it! But certainly, less of it. If you are not actively using an extension's functionality, don't load it. Community developers work in a bit of a vacuum. I don't pay attention to what's out there, unless I want or need it. Because the more extensions I have loaded the greater the chances are that those extensions might adversely interact with one another - giving errant results, undesired behaviors or crashing. I make sure my extensions work with the rest of my extensions and with those that I use from other community developers. But not every other extension out there.

This extension, though moderately complicated uses very little duplicated ruleset code thereby minimizing possible conflicts. However, I cannot guarantee a conflict won't occur. Particularly if another developer's extension interferes with my extension's functionality instead of visa versa.

If you have problems with this extension, it is your responsibility to determine if the fault is extension conflicts. The first thing I will ask you is: "Do you use any other extensions?" If so, "Have you unloaded all the other extensions? Do you still have a problem?" So you might as well figure it out beforehand. If you don't know how to go about it, take a look at post #18 of this thread.

Extension Copyright:
    This extension is copywritten by me, in its entirety. The copyright does not prevent you from modifying it for your own use. But you may not share nor publish the modified extension with anyone as long as it has any of my copywritten code in it.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; February 11th, 2021 at 16:08.

Blog Entries

Versioning Information

v0.0.13 - Jul 19, 2022 - fixed anchoring issues brought on by character sheet rework by Smiteworks (see post #128).
    v0.0.12 - Apr 21, 2022 - minor extension.xml changes for better Forge support
    v0.0.11 - Apr 21, 2022 - discontinued support for FGC
    v0.0.10 - Mar 28, 2022 - Fixes deprecation warnings (see notes, post #103)
    v0.0.9 - Feb 26, 2022 - Guidance spell (and others) not supported fixed (post #78-82)
    v0.0.8 - Jan 13, 2021 - Unity support (Adv and Disadv broken, see post #69)
    v0.0.7 - Apr 21, 2019 - Adv/Disadv rolls fix (see post #47)
    v0.0.6 - Apr 19, 2019 - Multiple ruleset schism. 3.5e/PFRPG mandated rolls. Initiative rolls. (see post #31)
    v0.0.5 - Mar 30, 2019 - Mandated double clicks to the dice tower (see post #8)
    v0.0.4 - Feb 28, 2019 - Supports multiple rulesets, minor bug fix (see post #6)
    v0.0.3 - Feb 26, 2019 - Initial release
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; July 19th, 2022 at 22:39.

Blog Entries

Caveats, Bugs, Fixed and Other Stuff

[Bug - Fixed Apr 21] Intermediate - April 21, 2019 a bug was reported by Atreides Ghola (see post #39). If a roll that is to be directed to the Dice Tower is to be taken with advantage or disadvantage then LDTE threw an error and stopped processing the roll.

[Bug - Fixed Feb 28] Minor - Feb 26, 2019, while looking at the other rulesets, I noticed the Local Dice Tower shows up even if the DM has not set the Dice Tower option to "Yes" in the Options Manager. Seems like you wouldn't use the extension if that's the case. So this might just be an annoyance for yours truly.

[Planned - Fixed Feb 28] As of Feb 26, 2019 only supports the 5E ruleset. Exploring support for others.

[Planned - Supported Mar 30] Double-click forwarding: as of Feb 26, 2019 only drag and drop is supported. I might be nice if there was an option to cause double-click or single-click dice throws to be forwarded to the Dice Tower on a control by control basis.

[Planned - Supported Mar 30] Provided I hear from some DM's, options in the Options Manager to force double-click or single-click rolls to the Dice Tower. For instance, my DM makes you re-roll if you throw a skill dice roll into the Chat. These could be by category. All Skill rolls, all Saves, all Ability Checks....
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; April 22nd, 2019 at 04:14.

Blog Entries
    The thread was moved because of a thread title change. Can't rename a thread after there are subscribers, I'm told. Gotta make sure the name is correct the first time. Trenloe told me of this. I should never have doubted him!

(Old thread)
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; February 28th, 2019 at 17:40.

Blog Entries

Release Notes for Version v0.0.4 - Multiple Ruleset Support

The Local Dice Tower Extension (LDTE) now supports the CoreRPG, 3.5E and PFRPG as well as the 5E rulesets.

As well as the additional rulesets support I also fixed the small bug that I found. Now the Local Dice Tower control (on the character sheet) is only displayed if the DM has set the Table: Dice Tower option in the Options Manager to "on". Please recall, the Local Dice Tower is never displayed in the DM's copy of the character sheet.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned by my good friend LordEntrails, in this extension's prior home, he has a recording of LDTE in use in his campaign.

(Follow this link, navigate to post #16, click the video link and forward to ~0:40:00 to see one of the players drop a Skill check on the Local Dice Tower.)

Blog Entries

Release Notes for v0.0.5

In this release, the DM/GM can mandate that ability checks, ability saving throws and skill checks, initiated by double clicking the corresponding field on the player's character sheet will direct those rolls to the dice tower. For example, when the player double clicks the Arcana skill check field, the roll goes to the dice tower instead of the chat window.

In the left panel of the screenshot shown below, the three options that have been added to the Options Manager are shown. There are independent On/Off (Yes/No) choices for each.

In the right panel, the player has double clicked the Constitution saving throw. The roll and result are displayed in the chat, indicting that the roll was made in the dice tower and the resultant value is therefore hidden from the players.
    Untitled1.png

(Note that the player can still direct their roll, if need be, to the chat by dragging the die to the chat.)

If you want other fields supported in addition to the three that I have picked, please let me know. Or if you have difficulties please tell me about them.

Thanks for using this extension.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; April 19th, 2019 at 15:50. Reason: 3.5E / PF supported Apr 19

Thanks Minty. I'll give it a go next 5E session. Never enough room on the desktop...

My group and I (PFRPG rule set) love the idea behind this extension - don't know how many times during a session we have forgetten to use tower and have had re-roll... It kills the flow - anyway, when I enable the LDTE I get a script error. This is happening in the GMs and the below error happens when opening a character sheet, and once the sheet opens the ability score stat block is empty. Also, none of the menu options you show in post #8 are in my config menu.

Ruleset Error: window: Control(wisdomdamage) anchoring to an undefined control (wisdom) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(wisdombonus) anchoring to an undefined control (wisdom) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(wisdombonus) anchoring to an undefined control (wisdom) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(charisma_label) anchoring to an undefined control (charisma) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(charisma_label) anchoring to an undefined control (charisma) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(charismadamage) anchoring to an undefined control (charisma) in windowclass (charsheet_main)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(charismadamage) anchoring to an undefined control (charisma) in windowclass (charsheet_main)

(can provide full error log if needed)

Originally I thought the Hero Points extension (Core rule set extension) may be conflicting but after testing I received the same error. I am running several other extensions (full list below), and I fairly certain that all of them are on their most recent versions. If there is any other information you need let me know.

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG

Thread Information