Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Initative

  1. #1
    Ardem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    704

    Initative

    Can players roll their own initiative?

    We tried the other day while in testing combat and there did not seem to be a way, how is this done? Also with the modifiers of +1 to tactics etc, how is this included.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardem View Post
    Can players roll their own initiative?

    We tried the other day while in testing combat and there did not seem to be a way, how is this done? Also with the modifiers of +1 to tactics etc, how is this included.
    At the moment, Initiative is rolled via the GM's menu wheel, if you want players to roll their own then let me know how you think this should be done.

    If you have a modifier, ie you have Tactics or Hasten etc is placed in the Init Mod column in the Combat Tracker.

    Traveller has a lot of things that can effect your Init Score, Leadership, Tactics, Hasten, Fast/Slow Metabolism etc, it's very hard to automate it. But like everything else I'm doing for this ruleset, I welcome ideas and at times, we can add these to the ruleset for you.

    Thanks for the question.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  3. #3
    I think the simple way to allow players to roll initiative is to follow 5E where they just have an initiative dialog on the character sheet that they can click on, or drag to chat, to roll. There are a lot of situational things that can modify the roll, so maybe it is best to automate basic stuff in the dialog and then let optional modifiers handle the rest.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    I think the simple way to allow players to roll initiative is to follow 5E where they just have an initiative dialog on the character sheet that they can click on, or drag to chat, to roll. There are a lot of situational things that can modify the roll, so maybe it is best to automate basic stuff in the dialog and then let optional modifiers handle the rest.
    That would of course be a good idea, I'd have to find somewhere on the Character Sheet for it (not too much of a problem, as I'd place it on the Actions Tab).

    Most of the time I don't want to clone 5E straight off the bat, but probably will for this. The roll can take into affect the various DM's/Modifiers on the desktop.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  5. #5
    Ardem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    704
    Agreed, players prefer to roll there own initiative. I think the above option is best, probably put it in the Action Tab area, so you keeping all combat stuff in one area.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardem View Post
    Agreed, players prefer to roll there own initiative. I think the above option is best, probably put it in the Action Tab area, so you keeping all combat stuff in one area.
    Hello,

    I've added this to this months release.

    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...0-(March-2019)

    Cheers,
    Colin

  7. #7
    Ardem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    704
    Awesome thanks for this.

  8. #8
    And Initiative is done.

    TravellerInitiative.JPG

    You have a new field on the Action Tab. Set any bonus you get to Initiative, ie Tactics skill, Equipment etc etc.

    Then use the Desktop Mods for other bonuses, ie Leadership roll, Haste etc.

    The roll then updates the Combat Tracker and the position is adjusted.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  9. #9
    BTW, how does the tactics skill influence this. Do you need tactics 1 to have a +1 bonus to initiative? Wouldn't that mean that unless you have at least tactics 0 you would have to subtract 3 from your initiative roll for being unskilled? If not, what does tactics 0 bring to the game? What are the advantages for a player?
    Sorry if these are silly questions, I am just curious how you play this...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Isanti, MN
    Posts
    2,782
    From the rules:

    Tactics
    This skill covers tactical planning and decision making, from board games to squad level combat to fleet engagements. In combat, the Tactics skill level of a unit’s commander gives a boost to the initiative scores of everyone in his unit.
    As a referee, if the unit commander does not have Tactics, I would apply a -3 to everyone in the unit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in