DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Checking for 'User Error' (pebkac) before I post in Bug Thread : )

Hello,

I'm pretty new here, so chances are it's a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) issue. Yesterday while teaching myself the software, I created a Human Life Domain Cleric and Cure Wounds showed up as 1d8+3 (WIS Modifier). Later, in a different 'test' game I created a Hill Dwarf Life Domain Cleric, but Cure Wounds did not calculate the WIS modifier. It simply says 1d8. I tried clicking on 'edit' and the Magnifying Glass, but no change. I clicked on the interactive 'shield' icon to bring up the spell's details and it says it's 1d8+spell ability modifier.

I thought maybe I had inadvertently attached the spell in the Action Tab before I selected the class, so after I made sure the Cleric class was chosen - went back to the Action Tab - removed the spell, and then re-added the spell. No change. Rolling for the spell just produces a d8 in the tray, and I cast it (targeted) on another player and it just healed him for what the d8 showed.

Do I have to enter the Spell Ability Modifier in manually; if so, is this true for all casting class' spells & ability modifiers?

Also, I am unclear how to consistently build the "Life" modifier to benefit all the healing spells. Life Domain Clerics get an addition 2+ the spell's level in healing. So a Cure Wounds cast with a 16 Wisdom should yield: 1d8 +3(WIS) +2(Life) +1(Spell's Level).

I'm thinking I'm probably the problem, but wanted to check with the "Pros" first.

CureWounds_no_WISmodifier__.PNG
    Last edited by connivingsumo; February 24th, 2019 at 21:01.

If you create the class 'correctly' that is add ability scores, add race, add background and finally class then FG will correctly calculate all spell save DCs and add in any modifiers to attacks and spells where appropriate based on the class's stat. In your case a Cleric. If things aren't entered correctly or if they are subsequently edited then this can throw off the auto calculation. As you saw in the first instance the correct modifier was computed. In the second one something went wrong with the process.

It is possible to rectify the situation by clicking on the magnifying glass to the far right of any of the spell power groups (such as Spells (Cantrips), Spells (Level 1) etc.) In the dialog which opens click on the box beside 'Ability' until you get the correct ability - in this case Wis. If the character was created incorrectly though other things may be wrong which might not be immediately apparent so it is probably wiser to redo the character from scratch.

For the Life Domain ability which adds to healing there's no effect which can be created for that. There's a couple of choices the first being to add in the bonus into each spell or add a modifier to the modifier box just before any healing roll is made.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you create the class 'correctly' that is add ability scores, add race, add background and finally class then FG will correctly calculate all spell save DCs and add in any modifiers to attacks and spells where appropriate based on the class's stat. In your case a Cleric. If things aren't entered correctly or if they are subsequently edited then this can throw off the auto calculation. As you saw in the first instance the correct modifier was computed. In the second one something went wrong with the process.

It is possible to rectify the situation by clicking on the magnifying glass to the far right of any of the spell power groups (such as Spells (Cantrips), Spells (Level 1) etc.) In the dialog which opens click on the box beside 'Ability' until you get the correct ability - in this case Wis. If the character was created incorrectly though other things may be wrong which might not be immediately apparent so it is probably wiser to redo the character from scratch.

For the Life Domain ability which adds to healing there's no effect which can be created for that. There's a couple of choices the first being to add in the bonus into each spell or add a modifier to the modifier box just before any healing roll is made.
    I suspected user-error, thank you for clarifying. I'm sure I did it out of order.

I'll just live with it for now and pay closer attention next time being this is a test environment anyway.

I just did - exactly as you said (ability scores > race > background > class) - and it didn't ask me for a domain, it went straight into skills and then done. With the Human it asked for a Domain, then skills, then everything worked correctly. Not so with the Hill Dwarf.

I'm going to try nuking that character, exiting the platform, and reloading to try again.

EDIT:
    Exiting the game client and restarting it seemed to work. I started the process, as you said, for creating a Hill Dwarf Life Cleric and when I dropped the background in it asked to select two skills, then asked which Domain. After that selection I went to the Action Tab and pulled over Cure Wounds. Not only is it showing correctly (includes WIS modifier), it's also showing Spell Slot radio buttons, which my other two Hill Dwarf Clerics were not.

Thanks.
    Last edited by connivingsumo; February 25th, 2019 at 01:36.

If you use the SRD or basic rules to create the character you may not see a domain choice since there are no choices in those modules. You’ll only see archetype choices if you have one or more modules open that contain multiple archetypes.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If you use the SRD or basic rules to create the character you may not see a domain choice since there are no choices in those modules. You’ll only see archetype choices if you have one or more modules open that contain multiple archetypes.
    That's a good tip; I will keep that in mind. For this situation, I have only (yet) purchased LMoP & the PHB. I did not make the LMoP available to the 'player screen' so that screen only had access to the PHB.

Blog Entries
    Make sure the player had the PHB loaded, not just shared with them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Make sure the player had the PHB loaded, not just shared with them.
    This is good advice. In this particular situation the 'player' was me running on the same client as the DM Monitor side, so DM's screen on left where I loaded the TEST2 campaign, and then on the right I fired up a 2nd instance of the client and 'Joined Game' - so I was sure I had my PHB loaded.

I was very careful to follow Zacchaeus's steps, so I knew I was doing it right the third time. It seems closing both instances and relaunching the platform, and following Zacchaeus's steps worked because I made a Hill Dwarf Life Cleric and it was smooth like butter. I think I accidentally did it correctly the first time w/the Human, then incorrectly the second time w/the Hill Dwarf, then correctly w/the Hill Dwarf but was in need of a restart, which the fourth time worked as described.

Thread Information