5E Character Create Playlist
    Eastern USA that is Time Zone - UTC-4 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)

I hope if one day Fantasy Grounds would support gif maps.

I know they are working on a mapping system and dynamic light for FG. I seen some LED maps that have animation in them (simple animation in them for real life D&D in a MP4) and Roll20 is working on animating tokens.
    So maybe in the future FG would make it so that gif maps & gif tokens can be used in FG.

It's a maybe, but would it be so awesome. O and i do not know if this is the right thread to be posting on this subject, but I did my best to guess.
    JennyRB

Quote Originally Posted by JennyRB View Post
    I know they are working on a mapping system and dynamic light for FG. I seen some LED maps that have animation in them (simple animation in them for real life D&D in a MP4) and Roll20 is working on animating tokens.
    So maybe in the future FG would make it so that gif maps & gif tokens can be used in FG.

It's a maybe, but would it be so awesome. O and i do not know if this is the right thread to be posting on this subject, but I did my best to guess.
    That would be cool! I'm new here - buying my Ult.License this weekend - and I thought FG had already done the Dynamic Lighting? I'm not confusing that with Fog of War, right? Fog of War is Dynamic Lighting?
    Last edited by connivingsumo; February 22nd, 2019 at 16:24.

Blog Entries
    Nope, no dynamic lighting (or fog of war) in FG currently; it will be a feature in the Unity client... whenever. FGClassic has the masking feature, which is a manual fog of war facsimile.

Dynamic Lighting is automated Fog of War.

With Fog of War, the GM masks out everything that is invisible to the players and then manually reveals what they discover.

With Dynamic Lighting, the software takes into account the capabilities of each PC (night vision, ultra vision, etc.) and what lighting they are using (torch, bull's eye lantern) and shows each player what that specific PC can see. As the PC moves around the map the visible portion follows them. Go around a corner you can't see around it, so its dark. Long hallway, you see to the limits of your lighting and vision.

FoW takes a lot of GM attention. Dynamic Lighting allows the GM to ignore that task and move onto more value added fun content!

And FG currently supports FoW.

Eastern USA that is Time Zone - UTC-4 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
    Quote Originally Posted by connivingsumo View Post
    That would be cool! I'm new here - buying my Ult.License this weekend - and I thought FG had already done the Dynamic Lighting? I'm not confusing that with Fog of War, right? Fog of War is Dynamic Lighting?
    It's not yet with dynamic lighting, but it's being worked on. (saw it in a tweet on FG's twitter some time ago) and no fog of war is not dynamic lighting. Dynamic lighting is where the player themselves only sees the map that is surrounding their own characters vision. Fog of War is where you the DM/GM have to remove the fog so that the players can see their surroundings.

The tweet says it's Fantasy Grounds Unity Preview and it wasn't mentioned afterwards, but here's the tweet.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/992804840362467329
    JennyRB

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Nope, no dynamic lighting (or fog of war) in FG currently; it will be a feature in the Unity client... whenever. FGClassic has the masking feature, which is a manual fog of war facsimile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xemit View Post
    Dynamic Lighting is automated Fog of War.

With Fog of War, the GM masks out everything that is invisible to the players and then manually reveals what they discover.

With Dynamic Lighting, the software takes into account the capabilities of each PC (night vision, ultra vision, etc.) and what lighting they are using (torch, bull's eye lantern) and shows each player what that specific PC can see. As the PC moves around the map the visible portion follows them. Go around a corner you can't see around it, so its dark. Long hallway, you see to the limits of your lighting and vision.

FoW takes a lot of GM attention. Dynamic Lighting allows the GM to ignore that task and move onto more value added fun content!

And FG currently supports FoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyRB View Post
    It's not yet with dynamic lighting, but it's being worked on. (saw it in a tweet on FG's twitter some time ago) and no fog of war is not dynamic lighting. Dynamic lighting is where the player themselves only sees the map that is surrounding their own characters vision. Fog of War is where you the DM/GM have to remove the fog so that the players can see their surroundings.

The tweet says it's Fantasy Grounds Unity Preview and it wasn't mentioned afterwards, but here's the tweet.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/992804840362467329
    Thank you for the clarification. I'll take FoW, better than nothing, but that Dynamic Lighting does sound pretty cool!

Thread Information