Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Common FG Problems I'm experiencing.

Hi all,

As a group, we've been experiencing some issues with Fantasy Grounds (Classic) since we started our campaign a few months back but it got so bad last night that I figured that I'd need to put some serious effort into resolving the issues.

Here's the issues we've been having and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

1) Targetted attacks not actually targeting the NPC. - Medium Impact

This only ever happens when players attempt to target an NPC and never happens when I, as DM, attempt to target a player. The combat log will clearly show that the player is targeting a creature and when the perform their attack roll it just shows an attack and a number. I then have to do the manual calc which isn't a big deal but it's a frustration.

What is interesting is that it only ever seems to effect one person at a time. It's become a running joke "Who's going to get the no target bug this week?"

2) Dice not reflecting the result. - Low Impact

I'm not sure if this is actually a bug but other players frequently see different dice than the person rolling. As an example, the entire group cheered last night when we saw the Rogue's dice come up as a nat 20. The total output to chat as a 12. The rogue didn't understand the fuss as he saw the dice land on a 12.

3) Maps not loading - High Impact

Map loading is really slow for us. A 5mb map can often take nearly a minute to get to all of the other players. My upload speed is not great admittedly and it takes 17 seconds to upload the same map to a file share but there is clearly a difference using FG.

The pre-load map function seems to make no improvement at all, in fact, it's much worse. Last night I pre-loaded 2 maps at the start of the session and, when the time came, I attempted to share them to the group. They could only see a grey space where the map should be although they could see their own tokens and the grid. The only fix was to copy the map with a completely new name and rebuild it on the fly, adding in a new grid and populating it with monsters.

4) Masking/Unmasking maps causes FG to hang and/or crash. - High Impact

When players join my server FG does this weird thing where it seems to stretch downwards over the task bar and the display resolution looks terrible. It's like a minor hang and I can't interact with anything. Once the player has loaded in the window snaps back into place and the resolution is fine. I can then control the screen again. This happens as each of my 4 players join but it's manageable.

When masking/unmasking maps the problem is much worse. I unmask a section of the map and the game seems to hang for 10 to 15 seconds. If I unmask a large section of the map there's a very good chance FG can crash.

On balance, FG is still a really good product and these issues aren't generally enough to stop using it. But if every session were like last nights with maps not loading and the game crashing, things might be different.

I'm on a reasonably decent computer. I7 CPU, 8gb RAM, 1070 TI Graphics Card, SSD. Doesn't have any instability issues in other applications. I've reinstalled FG (using Steam) to see if that's an issue. It's fully updated etc. If anyone can suggest any fixes for these things I'd be really grateful
    Last edited by Rylan Storm; August 7th, 2020 at 10:32.
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

It's definitely worthwhile bringing issues/questions to the forums. Don't suffer in silence!

Some quick comments:

1) When this happens to a player, ask them to check that they haven't accidentally clicked on the disable targeting button in the modifier stack below the chat window. If it looks like the following (red rather than greyed out), then targeting will be disabled:

3) You don't mention if you're using FGC or FGU (Classic or Unity). For a while now we've been recommending GMs to keep map file sizes below 1MB if at all possible - to reduce share time.

That said - if the image takes 17 seconds to upload to a fileshare - multiply that upload time by the number of players you're sharing the image with. So 1 minute for a number of players sounds about right based off your fileshare example upload time. If you're using maps outside of a module, see if you can reduce the file size a bit - we recommend using JPG compression at 70-80% quality - aim to get as close to 1MB in file size as you can. If using FGC, try to keep within 2048x2048 pixels as this affects memory used and FGC has limited memory due to it being a 32-bit app.

Your preshare issue might depend on whether you're using FGC or FGU.

4) Are you using FGC or FGU?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry, you're right. I forgot to mention that. I'm using Fantasy Grounds Classic and have edited the post accordingly.

Thank you for you input.

1) I don't think this is the issue given how it weirdly jumps from one player to another each week. I accept that could be coincidence though and it's only happened in 6 out 9 sessions but I'll ask next time it happens.
    3) Ah, I'd seen that FG was using TCP but I had assumed that it was uploading the maps to something like a shared resource and the players were getting it from there. Silly of me to do so. I guess I just take that sort of stuff for granted these days. Still, we're usually online for a good 20 minutes or so before I call a map into play. We do recaps etc, chat a little. This wouldn't be an issue if I could use pre-share but this seems really destructive because, when players get the grey map issue, I cannot use the same map name again.
    4) As mentioned, FGC.

What ruleset are you using?
    What extensions (including themes) are you using?
    What operating system?

For #4 - yep, players joining will make FG unresponsive for a while. FG is single threaded and does a lot of processing and data upload when a player joins.

For the masking issue - what is the resolution (pixel width x height) of the maps that cause these issues?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ruleset: 5E.
    Extensions: CoreRPG Audiooverseer, LAE Expanded Options, and a custom decal. Default theme.

The resolution on Old Owl Well that I shared last night was 3300 x 2550. I downloaded about 150 maps from Venatus' site as is and just drag them in as I need them.

OK, so it looks like I need to find an app then that can go through my maps folder and do some downsizing then it sounds like.

It isn't just the map you are sharing at this time but also the cumulative amount of stuff that you have shared. Make sure that your players aren't getting close to the FG memory cap of around 3Gb when they are joined to your campaign. Unshare images that are no longer needed. Unshare modules that aren't being used. Make sure you haven't shared any tokens.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks.

What would contribute to the memory cap? Just shared images? We've only been playing for about 9 weeks so I've only shared .,..perhaps 10 images total. Does unsharing them remove them from their machine? I don't expect they'll ever head back to the Cragmaw Hideout so I could unshare that I guess.

Also, I have not shared a huge amount of tokens with them, but I did share the tokens they could select for their own characters so they could pick. Is this bad?

Finally, I have moved a lot of maps into my campaign map folder so that I can bring them up on the fly. Is this loading into my memory?

The Venatus maps are great. But, yeah, for FGC reduce the resolution a bit and try to also reduce the file size.

Check how much memory FG is using on your end as well. And yes, many images will eat up memory since they all get loaded into the client when you open the campaign. The advice is really to not share any toens at all (via the tokens/shared folder) but a handful won't have much impact. It's when you start sharing hundreds of them that it becomes a problem.

Just as an FYI my internet speed is crap with a capital C and it does take a while to upload images - even ones which are of the recommended size. I always preshare any images that are going to be used in the next session and that works just fine for me. That means that the lag is confined to when players join the game rather than mid session.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So, how does pre-share work? I had assumed that a pre-shared image was only shared with those people connected at the time it's shared. I figured it was just a push instruction. Can I pre-share images whilst nobody is connected and then just ask them to connect at some point when we're not playing for them to get it?

Also, any ideas why any of the images that I preshare load in as just grey boxes? Also, is there anything I can do to recover this if it happens again? As I mentioned, the only thing that I could think of last night was totally rebuilding the map with a new filename.

Thread Information