5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by YamaShintaku View Post
    96 pixels per inch.
    That in itself doesn't really mean anything and is the default for CC3+ without it knowing anything about your map. If we assume 1 inch is 1 grid square, and we apply 96 pixels per inch to your second map (the cool property map), which is 1110 x 800 pixels, we end up with 11.5 grid squares horizontally - which seems wrong for the size of this map, if we take the most common battlemap scaling in RPGs (5 feet per grid square).

A baseline of 50 pixels for 5 foot grid square is a good starting point for Fantasy Grounds maps. So, if I had a map that is 200 feet wide, I'd want 40 x five foot grid squares = 2000 pixels (with 50 pixels per 5 foot grid square). This is where the pixel size and print size settings in the CC3+ Bitmap Options dialogue come in handy - see the screenshot below.

If we don't know the pixel size we want for the file we're about to save, but we know how many grid squares there are or the map dimensions in feet, we can set the "Resolution" field to 50 pixels per inch, work out how many grid squares we have (count them or divide the dimensions in feet by 5 - you can get this in CC3+ using the Info -> Distance tool to measure the maps width and height) and enter these in the Print Size -> Width and Height fields (setting the units to "inches"). Once you've filled in the print size (and tabbed out of the fields), CC3+ will have automatically calculated the pixel size width and height based off the data you've entered.

Looking at the example below - I set the pixels per inch to 50, I then counted the total grid squares horizontally and vertically - there are 40 in each dimension. I entered this data and CC3+ set the pixel width and height to 2000x2000.

NOTE: The recommended maximum map/image size in FG is 2048x2048 pixels. Above this and memory use within FG can get too high (even if the computer has lots of memory - FG has limited memory available as it is a 32-bit application). It's OK to have one or two maps a little bigger than this, but that's really an exception.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That in itself doesn't really mean anything and is the default for CC3+ without it knowing anything about your map. If we assume 1 inch is 1 grid square, and we apply 96 pixels per inch to your second map (the cool property map), which is 1110 x 800 pixels, we end up with 11.5 grid squares horizontally - which seems wrong for the size of this map, if we take the most common battlemap scaling in RPGs (5 feet per grid square).

A baseline of 50 pixels for 5 foot grid square is a good starting point for Fantasy Grounds maps. So, if I had a map that is 200 feet wide, I'd want 40 x five foot grid squares = 2000 pixels (with 50 pixels per 5 foot grid square). This is where the pixel size and print size settings in the CC3+ Bitmap Options dialogue come in handy - see the screenshot below.

If we don't know the pixel size we want for the file we're about to save, but we know how many grid squares there are or the map dimensions in feet, we can set the "Resolution" field to 50 pixels per inch, work out how many grid squares we have (count them or divide the dimensions in feet by 5 - you can get this in CC3+ using the Info -> Distance tool to measure the maps width and height) and enter these in the Print Size -> Width and Height fields (setting the units to "inches"). Once you've filled in the print size (and tabbed out of the fields), CC3+ will have automatically calculated the pixel size width and height based off the data you've entered.

Looking at the example below - I set the pixels per inch to 50, I then counted the total grid squares horizontally and vertically - there are 40 in each dimension. I entered this data and CC3+ set the pixel width and height to 2000x2000.

NOTE: The recommended maximum map/image size in FG is 2048x2048 pixels. Above this and memory use within FG can get too high (even if the computer has lots of memory - FG has limited memory available as it is a 32-bit application). It's OK to have one or two maps a little bigger than this, but that's really an exception.
    This is fantastic information and answers a few questions that I had as a new Fantasy Grounds participant and map creator. Thank you so much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by YamaShintaku View Post
    This is fantastic information and answers a few questions that I had as a new Fantasy Grounds participant and map creator. Thank you so much for sharing!
    No problem at all! I'm always happy to assist a fellow cartographer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe, my mapping skills will benefit from this little nugget , now to backward apply it to 200+ maps, lol
    Ultimate License, Classic & Unity, Currently Running Fortnightly, 5E Land of Fate, 5E Vale of Shadows, 5E Pages of Darkness, 5E Izramurs lingering Gift, 5E Jotunhammer, 5E Terror Loch Tower, 5E Spellbinder, MGT2 Pirates of Drinax, 5E Storm Giants Thunder, 5E Winters Curse, 5E Catacombes of Sunless Sorrows

Thread Information