DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FG NEWB ~ thinking about buying the Ultimate Lic. ~ few questions first...

Hello,

For some personal reasons regarding how they run their business, I will not be giving Roll20 any money, not one cent. I'll still participate in my friend's games there, but only as a free participant.

So far I really like what FG has to offer, and I've been reading/lurking in threads here for a while now, and have started watching some "how to" YouTube Videos, but I have a few questions before I take the proverbial plunge.

1. Regarding DLC available on STEAM: if I buy the Ultimate License, and the PHB & MM, for example, then I do not need to buy DLC like the Character Customization Pack, Tokens Packs, any of the Class packages, etc. correct? It seems like maybe that content is for players that just want to spend $2.99 for their favorite class, want the tokens on a DEMO account, and/or want to buy their favorite Monster type?

2. I see an Ultimate license (if I do this then I'm probably buying that via STEAM) comes with a couple hundred tokens, which is awesome; however, I also love making my own tokens, so can I import my own tokens like I did over at Roll20?

3. I read the thread "what do I need to buy to play 5e" and it was very helpful. One thing noted in that thread was something along the lines of "if you buy content over at STEAM be careful you don't buy it in the FG Store because nothing is keeping track of those purchases' potential duplication" - or something like that. Are there any other concerns if I'm purchasing DLC on STEAM vs. the FG Store or vise versa?

4. The "browser business" has built in voice/video, which I can take or leave by using Skype, Discord, or some other VOIP system. What do you like to use for voice & video?

5. How is the DLC different than a pdf? I've seen in a few threads people talking about how much work goes into the FG 5e content vs a 5e pdf, but I've never really seen an explanation, or an example.

6. Finally, any "lessons learned" you have for a newb, or "I wish I knew ____ when I was starting"?? I'm all ears!

For what it's worth, I'm a DM and have been since 1984. After purchasing the Ultimate License I could see myself buying the PHB, XGtE, and maybe Mines of Phandelver to start out. I own all the hard-copy books and will likely purchase more FG DLC as I go. Unless, of course, someone makes a strong argument here for why I should consider buying the book bundle, and/or whatever else they think is a "must have."

Thank you for sticking with me and reading all of this.
    Last edited by connivingsumo; February 19th, 2019 at 01:14.

Blog Entries
    Welcome

1) Correct, except maybe the token packs. The ones I can think of are 4E monster tokens. Note that the PHB and MM has tokens for everything that had an image in the printed book. It still leaves some things with default letters. If you care to link a specific token pack, I can give a better answer.

2) Yes, it's very easy to do. You will find info on the tokens host and shared folders, but using token modules are a newer and better way to make and use tokens. Because of architectural issues, putting lots of images in the tokens /shared folder can cause problems.

3) No, not really. The thing is that if you buy in one location, the other doesn't know about it so you won't get the benefits of bundles. But, FG will still download and install everything you own in both locations assuming you have done the Steam account sync.

4) I like Teamspeak, there is a community server you are free to use. I also use Discord, you can setup your own server or use one of the game rooms on the FG Official discord too.

5) A thousand things! When I started FG College didn't exist. Check them out, take some free classes! fgcollege.net
    Be familiar with the Wiki and the sticky threads in the forums for the rulesets you use. Ask questions

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Welcome to the FG forums connivingsumo!

Some quick answers:

1) Yes, the class and monster/NPC packs you mention were originally split up to allow individuals to spread the cost, only buy what they wanted to use, etc.. If you get the PHB and the MM you're covered and don't need the WotC packs related to those 2 products.

2) Yep, you can import your own graphics to use as tokens. Information on that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ding_Locations

3) Any purchase you make of FG DLC (produced by SmiteWorks) is delivered by the FG update system. You sync Steam purchases with your FG account, and then any DLC purchased on Steam or the FG website is downloaded/updated when you run an update. The Steam "install" of FG is essentially the same as the FG store install as well. The main difference between purchasing on Steam, rather than the FG stores, is that you can get better regional pricing if you're outside the USA (but I don't think that applies to you). If you purchase on the FG store, more of your purchase money goes to SmiteWorks (the small company that owns Fantasy Grounds). If you plan on doing one of the "complete the package" options, either now or in the future, all the purchases must be on the same store - Steam or FG. Any sales should have the same product and pricing on both stores.

4) I've used Skype, Ventrillo, Mumble, Discord and TeamSpeak - my personal favourite is the latter, which I've used for many years. But, recently we've moved from using TeamSpeak for the FG Con community convention to Discord, as more people seem to be using that and are more comfortable with using it.

5) Other than "right-click to get content relevant options" and "drag NPCs/PC to the combat tracker first, then drag their tokens from the CT to the map" (two golden rules of FG)? ;-) The main one - as a GM don't try to do everything when you first play. FG has a lot of depth (especially when you start to look at the details of automation and effects) - don't try to have everything automated (because not everything is automated)! Start simple - if you have to verbally adjust rolls in your games, that's cool. Get used to the basics of the interface first - it'll get you playing and learning the interface and enjoying your game! Then once you've experienced the basics look into adding more depth to your FG experience (if you think that's something that you'd like to do).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Welcome

1) Correct, except maybe the token packs. The ones I can think of are 4E monster tokens. Note that the PHB and MM has tokens for everything that had an image in the printed book. It still leaves some things with default letters. If you care to link a specific token pack, I can give a better answer.
    Oh! I didn't realize the content art became tokens, and those DLC books came with tokens! That's awesome - thank you.

2) Yes, it's very easy to do. You will find info on the tokens host and shared folders, but using token modules are a newer and better way to make and use tokens. Because of architectural issues, putting lots of images in the tokens /shared folder can cause problems.
    Cool! I've been using TokenTool, but I'll do more research here as you've suggested.

3) No, not really. The thing is that if you buy in one location, the other doesn't know about it so you won't get the benefits of bundles. But, FG will still download and install everything you own in both locations assuming you have done the Steam account sync.
    STEAM account sync ~ got it. I'll be sure to do that.

4) I like Teamspeak, there is a community server you are free to use. I also use Discord, you can setup your own server or use one of the game rooms on the FG Official discord too.
    Skype & Teamspeak were my first, way back in the day. OK, sounds like there are lots of options.

5) A thousand things! When I started FG College didn't exist. Check them out, take some free classes! fgcollege.net
    All this lurking and reading and I had no idea there was a FG College! I'll be going to bookmark that right now.

Be familiar with the Wiki and the sticky threads in the forums for the rulesets you use. Ask questions
    The community seems very friendly here and I have to say I find that very refreshing and encouraging. Thank you for the welcome; I'll be sure to keep my eyes on the stickies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the FG forums connivingsumo!
    Thank you!

Some quick answers:

1) Yes, the class and monster/NPC packs you mention were originally split up to allow individuals to spread the cost, only buy what they wanted to use, etc.. If you get the PHB and the MM you're covered and don't need the WotC packs related to those 2 products.
    Ok, I thought so, but wanted to be sure as I budget the rather large lump I'm going to be investing because I didn't want to miss anything unique. It makes sense that is content broken out, thanks for explaining.

2) Yep, you can import your own graphics to use as tokens. Information on that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ding_Locations
    Thank you - I'll book mark the Wiki, too.

3) Any purchase you make of FG DLC (produced by SmiteWorks) is delivered by the FG update system. You sync Steam purchases with your FG account, and then any DLC purchased on Steam or the FG website is downloaded/updated when you run an update. The Steam "install" of FG is essentially the same as the FG store install as well. The main difference between purchasing on Steam, rather than the FG stores, is that you can get better regional pricing if you're outside the USA (but I don't think that applies to you). If you purchase on the FG store, more of your purchase money goes to SmiteWorks (the small company that owns Fantasy Grounds). If you plan on doing one of the "complete the package" options, either now or in the future, all the purchases must be on the same store - Steam or FG. Any sales should have the same product and pricing on both stores.
    The prices aren't quite the same; for example, the Ultimate License on STEAM is $145.14 and the D&D (Book) Bundle is $173.33, for a combined total of $318.47. The FG Store has both for a combined total of $321.44. However, you make a very good point. By purchasing on the FG Store I can be sure all the money is going to SmiteWorks, and for such a paltry difference ($2.97) I should be putting that money toward SmiteWorks. That said, I think I'll be buying my DLC here on FG.

4) I've used Skype, Ventrillo, Mumble, Discord and TeamSpeak - my personal favourite is the latter, which I've used for many years. But, recently we've moved from using TeamSpeak for the FG Con community convention to Discord, as more people seem to be using that and are more comfortable with using it.
    I've used all of those as well. Teamspeak was always solid when I was raiding in MMORPGs; either way, seems like the community here is familiar with different options so that's a plus.

5) Other than "right-click to get content relevant options" and "drag NPCs/PC to the combat tracker first, then drag their tokens from the CT to the map" (two golden rules of FG)? ;-) The main one - as a GM don't try to do everything when you first play. FG has a lot of depth (especially when you start to look at the details of automation and effects) - don't try to have everything automated (because not everything is automated)! Start simple - if you have to verbally adjust rolls in your games, that's cool. Get used to the basics of the interface first - it'll get you playing and learning the interface and enjoying your game! Then once you've experienced the basics look into adding more depth to your FG experience (if you think that's something that you'd like to do).
    I think this is good advice. That's typically my style, to try to do it all right up front at first. I think if I have some players that are patient with me learning the system then they'll enjoy the content and I won't be so anxious about it. Thankfully, there's a ton of "how-to" videos out there, and I learned about the FantasyGroundsCollege, and the FG Wiki.

Thanks for all the info & help!
    Last edited by connivingsumo; February 19th, 2019 at 03:10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by connivingsumo View Post
    The community seems very friendly here and I have to say I find that very refreshing and encouraging. Thank you for the welcome; I'll be sure to keep my eyes on the stickies.
    It was one of my top 3 or 4 reasons I chose FG when I did my research a few years ago. It's also why I've become so active here, trying to give back to the community that deserves it
    The prices aren't quite the same; for example, the Ultimate License on STEAM is $145.14 and the D&D (Book) Bundle is $173.33, for a combined total of $318.47. The FG Store has both for a combined total of $321.44. However, you make a very good point. By purchasing on the FG Store I can be sure all the money is going to SmiteWorks, and for such a paltry difference ($2.97) I should be putting that money toward SmiteWorks. That said, I think I'll be buying my DLC here on FG.
    Hmm, I don't think that is intentional (the price difference). I suspect someone will be pointing this out to SmiteWorks shortly to investigate.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It was one of my top 3 or 4 reasons I chose FG when I did my research a few years ago. It's also why I've become so active here, trying to give back to the community that deserves it
    I hear ya - same here. Roll20's shenanigans really disturbed me, plus I'm more about community than anything else. I signed up at the FG College and will be learning as much as I can. Giving back to the community is golden.

Hmm, I don't think that is intentional (the price difference). I suspect someone will be pointing this out to SmiteWorks shortly to investigate.
    Perhaps not, but for that amount of money I may as well keep it in house and better support (slightly) the folks putting in all the hard work. I just figured STEAM got away with it somehow.

Come on over to FGC (Fantasy Grounds College), the community can help you there.
    https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    Come on over to FGC (Fantasy Grounds College), the community can help you there.
    https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw
    Thanks Laerun! I did create the same username there & filled out my Bio a bit.

I haven’t had a chance to do a whole lot over there yet, but I did look at the class schedule. My hope is to take some of the intro classes. Even if my schedule doesn’t lineup I still see videos, walk throughs, and a knowledge base so I’m feeling a lot more confident about tackling and absorbing all of the content & capabilities FG offers.

Perhaps not, but for that amount of money I may as well keep it in house and better support (slightly) the folks putting in all the hard work. I just figured STEAM got away with it somehow.
    Hi connivingsumo, and Welcome to Fantasy Grounds. Lord Entrails and Trenloe are two of MANY rockstars here on the forums. Highly recommend you check out their other posts as well as those by Zaccheus, Damned, Rob Twohy, Celestian, and Dulux-Oz (among many other FG Gurus). Zaccheus has some EXCELLENT youtube video tutorials, particularly if you have some homebrew you want to get into FG.

And about Steam vs. Smiteworks... Steam takes (typically) 30% off the top, so buying directly from Smiteworks is more than just "slightly" better supporting the company. You dollars count MORE here. Just sayin.
    Welcome again!
    Gerry
    Check out my FG theme - The Coming of Night

FG Ultimate License
    D&D5e-Pathfinder-Savage Worlds

Thread Information