FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Creature Speeds

Creature Speeds

Hi all, I have a creature. (monkey) that has a speed of 30 and climb of 40 . Say it uses 20 of speed to run to the tree line and I want it to climb the rest of the speed. Normally the climb would be difficult terrain, so only 5ft remains to climb. But since if has a climb speed Im assuming I can use to rest of the 10 ft to climb without difficult terrain . Is that right ? Or can I use some of the climb speed as well ? any thoughts welcome ..

Thanks in advance.

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

If something has a climb speed then that's how fast it can climb. Difficult terrain doesn't figure into the equation if something can climb. Only a creature that doesn't have a climb speed would find the climbing difficult. So in your example the monkey would walk 20 feet and then climb 20.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Yep, Mr. Z is right. Multiple speeds can be a little tricky, and in some cases result in what might appear to be broken situations.

In general, when you switch movement types, you take all the movement you ahve done so far (in your case, 20') and subtract it from the available movement of your new move type (i.e. 40 - 20 = 20' of climb left)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

from PHB
    While climbing or swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain), unless a creature has a climbing or swimming speed.

from PHB
    Using Different Speeds
    If you have more than one speed, such as your walking speed and a flying speed, you can switch back and forth between your speeds during your move. Whenever you switch, subtract the distance you've already moved from the new speed. The result determines how much farther you can move. If the result is 0 or less, you can't use the new speed during the current move.

For example, if you have a speed of 30 and a flying speed of 60 because a wizard cast the fly spell on you, you could fly 20 feet, then walk 10 feet, and then leap into the air to fly 30 feet more.

from monster manual
    Climb
    A monster that has a climbing speed can use all or part of its movement to move on vertical surfaces. The monster doesn't need to spend extra movement to climb.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

hey Thanks guys, that helped a lot ! appreciate it.

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Thread Information