DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Using Map Tokens for ad-hoc maps

I've been playing around with Fantasy Grounds for a couple of years, and collecting Pathfinder material to use in my games, including the .pdf files of all the map packs, flip maps, and map tiles.

Recently I had the idea to turn the flip maps (5×8 inch) and map tiles (6×6 inch) into tokens in Fantasy Grounds. The idea behind it was to be able to make good quality custom maps on the fly, quickly, and with relative ease.

First, I open the map pack .pdf files in Gimp 2 (Photoshop works too), select all the pages I want, turn off visibility on all but the first page, and export it as a .png file, then turn off visibility to the first layer, turn it on for the second layer, etc, etc...

For the flip mats with boats on, I deselect all but the last visibility layer, select by colour, click on the water, and press delete to alpha channel out the water, so when boarding an enemy ship, the tokens can get right next to each other without a border of water between them. When I'm happy with it, I export it as .png and move it to my tokens folder in Fantasy Grounds.

Then in Fantasy Grounds,
    1. Take a basic map pack for the background terrain and set it as your map.
    2. Set the grid as normal.
    3. Select the lowest layer.
    4. Using the map tokens, drag one onto the the map and set the scale to fit the background.
    5. Rinse and repeat until your map is done.
    6. Go up to the top layer to lock everything in place. place.

You can now add the players tokens, monster tokens etc and the map will be locked in place. Furthermore if the map changes, like if one boat is faster than another, you can drop down to the bottom layer and move the tokens to their new relative positions.

I tried searching the Fantasy Grounds Store, but it seems the Paizo flip mats, map packs and map tiles are not available as FG ready tokens, and that surprises me a lot. The abundance of packs available, and the versatility that can be gained from using the tiles ad-hoc to create and alter the battlefield visually at a moment's notice would benefit many GM's greatly.

I like reading stuff from very experienced players. Very helpful! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Allyx View Post
    I tried searching the Fantasy Grounds Store, but it seems the Paizo flip mats, map packs and map tiles are not available as FG ready tokens, and that surprises me a lot.
    This is because to do what you describe (for map packs and map tiles) you need to use the community developed enhanced images (layers) extension. Having commerical products in the store that rely on a community developed and supported extension for full functionality is not a good idea.

For the flip mats - I’m not sure why they aren’t in the store - my guess would be that these wouldn’t sell well, as you’d be paying over $10 for just 2 maps (both sides).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information