DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Capabilities of Vanilla CoreRPG?

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, but loving it so far.

But I'm still trying to figure out the interface a bit. And I'm running my game out of CoreRPG's ruleset.

I want to eventually reach the point of being able to code in my own rulesets, as I usually run custom games, rather than straight-up published ones.

My players are all perfectly aware that this game, (Using Apocalypse World as the game system) is very much my "get used to Fantasy Grounds" campaign.

I plan to get intimately familiar with the basics (CoreRPG), then move on to something like MoreCore, then get familiar with that, then move on to coding my own rulesets.

But everything I look up involving a particular feature of FG, is usually in the context of one specific game system or other. Is there anywhere I can quickly learn the ins and outs of CoreRPG all by itself?

I've already learned how to make entries on a character sheet, and set them up to auto-roll dice when double-clicked. I've also learned, to my overwhelming delight, how to get tables to auto-roll other tables.

I get the feeling that Story entries have the potential to be very useful, but I don't quite "get" them yet.

What else can I wrangle out of the core system, with no extensions or coding, or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the FG forums.

The "Basic Guide" section of the user guide in the Wiki covers the non-RPG system specific info: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...hp/User_Guides

Even though you're not using 5E, load up the "5E Sample Campaign" and open the Story window. Click on the "00 Welcome to Fantasy Gronds" story entry and start reading... Follow the tutorial - this has some 5E specific things, but a lot of it is about general FG functionality.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Have you checked out this page on the wiki? It has links to CoreRPG specific pages as well as the most of the generic getting started info; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...hp/User_Guides

If you like videos, I believe all the general links on this page are CoreRPG, but their are specific CoreRPG videos here as well; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    If you want to run Apocalypse World (or any pbta system) I would recommend MoreCore.
    You can add a Roll with /pbta 2d6+(p1) and link (p1) to your appropriate Attribute modifiers etc...
    Ive run several PbtA systems in MoreCore very well.

Thanks for the links, they've been useful so far.

But I cant seem to find an answer to this. Can you attach tokens to Story entries? Or just NPCs and such?

And as a more general question, Is there a hard and fast rule for what can be dragged into what? It seems a little arbitrary and random so far, but there's probably a pattern I'm just not seeing.
    Also, can tables be made to roll with a modifier not directly entered into the table itself? Like if a table has six options, and an associated d6 roll, can you get the table to roll d6+1 on the fly?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera245 View Post
    Thanks for the links, they've been useful so far.

But I cant seem to find an answer to this. Can you attach tokens to Story entries? Or just NPCs and such?

And as a more general question, Is there a hard and fast rule for what can be dragged into what? It seems a little arbitrary and random so far, but there's probably a pattern I'm just not seeing.
    Also, can tables be made to roll with a modifier not directly entered into the table itself? Like if a table has six options, and an associated d6 roll, can you get the table to roll d6+1 on the fly?
    Tokens are just images. They have no information in them. So in general I can never think of why you would want to drag a token to a story entry (unless maybe you have tokens for furniture and want to access them quickly?

NPCs are database objects that have information in them, depending upon the ruleset. One thing an NPC has attached to them is a token. You can drag a token to a story entry. Or better yet, create an encounter, place NPC's the encounter. In the encounter you can even pre-place the tokens on a map. Then, drag the encounter to the story entry. From the Story entry you can then open the encounter when you need it, click the Add to CT icon in the bottom left and it will add the NPCs to the CT and any pre-placed tokens on the map.

Check the link in my sig for adventure creation.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    /rollon [table name] <-c [column name]> <-d [NdN+N]> <-hide> (rolls on table)

If you are coming from another VTT you will need to set aside the way they do things.
    tokens either belong to actors (pcs and npcs) or are tokens only. There is nothing in between.
    Drag and Drop is not arbitrary. If you drag an object somewhere that location needs to know how to accept that link and how to display that link.

If you drag a Story into a list that is configured as an NPC list the NPC list is going to be trying to display the Story as an NPC.

Can a table output directly to an NPC? It only seems it can do Chat, Story, Parcel, and Encounter, unless I'm missing something.

What I'm hoping for is a way to randomly create a new NPC with a click of a button, then be able to associate a token with it, once it's appearance has been generated, so I know what token fits it best.

I've got the generation down, with Story Templates and tables, but since I can't seem to drop a token anywhere in any field of a story entry, I'm not sure what to do to remember who has what tokens. If it came down to it, I'd rather just store my NPC information as "stories" than have to create a new NPC, then copy all the info from auto-generated story entry to NPC entry, then delete the story entry. Especially since vanilla CoreRPG doesn't have any fields under NPC entries that I actually need for this game.

That's basically what I was asking. What places accept NPC links? What places accept dice roll links? What places accept encounter links? etc.

I've found that the hotkeys accept nearly anything. And I've found you need to be careful linking tables. Some places like other tables want just the table entry, but other places, like hotkeys, want the table's dice roll icon if you want the hotkey to actually ROLL on the table.

Blog Entries
    No tables cannot output an NPC.
    If you add an NPC to the Combat Tracker and it doesnt have a Token a Letter Token will be added automatically.

Formatted Text Fields accept any links.
    Lists can generally only accept one type of data - its possible to program them to accept other data types but the display coding is programmed to display specific database fields eg those of the list type.

You are going to have to have a look at the code to answer the specifics of some of your exact scenarios.

Thread Information