DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    NotRussellCrowe could you download the Trail Of Cthulhu extension + MoreCore Ruleset and give it a short whirl.
    From the above it sounds like the changes needed to tweak this might be:

Thats good Hector thanks
    relabelling Hero Points to Push - easy.
    The character sheet already supports players dragging images to their sheet - is the current frame ok for that or wold you say want an additional small frame on the front page?
    For rolling - if you only roll 1 dice still - and have the option to reroll if you have more points then the current mechanic already supports that - but possibly the default double-click behavior (roll and spend) should be switched with the shift+double-click behavior (roll and no spend)?
    customise the list of skills that are generated for new characters
    And then themed out?

Thats probably one days work the theme being the big part.

Id be happy to do that as there is some interest in this...
    Yeah the ToC extension works well enough for sure. You can add images on the Main tab to the Clues or Contacts areas or on the MoreData tab under Notebook or Scratchpad or Images. Not sure how easy it would be to add a remove under the right-click menu, if not just backspacing is easy enough.

The GM will always tell you the range you need for each Challange. There are always three ranges: Setback, Hold, and Advance, so you couldn't really code these ahead of time since they can change per challenge. I don't think there's much else you can do here.

There are only two types of abilities: General (19) and Investigative (37). There are three subcategories for each category. General has Manual (7), Physical (5), and Mental (7) and Investigative has Academic (17), Interpersonal (11), and Technical (9). Not sure the best way to lay these on the sheet. Characters won't have every skill so the ability to hide them will come in handy I think. I am not sure if there would be room for another area for Edges and Problems, but having them all on one page would make things easier. Again I'm not sure how that would work though.

re: commercial release there probably has not yet been enough interest expressed on either this or Trail of Cthulhu just yet but will certainly be monitoring.

I do also have an Esoterrorists one that is almost ready to go.
    I wouldn't think there's enough interest for a commercial release of Cthulhu Confidential at this time. Though maybe the market for One-2-One games and Fantasy Grounds has a large intersection?

If I ever get around to running Trail of Cthulhu I'd love to go with Shadows Over Filmland so if that module existed in FG it would make things easier for me (obviously). I'd also be happy to assist in creating modules for ToC.

I wonder if the Gumshoe 1 to 1 system plays ok with 2 players still?
    On the Gumshoe Discord someone asked this and the one response was that regular Trail of Cthulhu was better for 2 players. I haven't run either so I don't have a personal opinion.
    Last edited by NotRussellCrowe; February 15th, 2019 at 02:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Trelane View Post
    Any of the three are good but Langston Wright is especially intriguing ...
    Not a problem. Cue the theme song for House of Cards.

For One-2-One, you’d set up the spotlight character at creation of the adventure module, and he/she doesn’t change skills (you only need to track pushes, problem, and edge cards—health and sanity loss comes in the form of problem cards). So when setting up a PC, I think it’s okay to list only those skills known by that character, allowing more room on the sheet. (If you want a complete skills list for reference, you could put that in the story entry.)

One thing I previously forgot: each character has a number of Contacts with whom they can go to discuss the investigation in interlude scenes during the game. These are friendly NPCs who have a short list of additional investigation abilities that the main character lacks. These should be listed on the character sheet somehow. It may be as simple as creating NPCs and dragging links to the character sheet — that works as long as the player can see all the NPC stats.

For One-2-One, you’d set up the spotlight character at creation of the adventure module, and he/she doesn’t change skills (you only need to track pushes, problem, and edge cards—health and sanity loss comes in the form of problem cards). So when setting up a PC, I think it’s okay to list only those skills known by that character, allowing more room on the sheet. (If you want a complete skills list for reference, you could put that in the story entry.)
    The Trail of Cthulhu sheet allows you to hide skills that you don't have a rank in. There's a little circle at the top-right of each group that you click/check to do this. So you can have all skills listed and then just hide the empty ones after you are done creating your character.

Now, if hiding skills would allow more room to drop two groups on the main sheet for problems and edges that would be great.

One thing I previously forgot: each character has a number of Contacts with whom they can go to discuss the investigation in interlude scenes during the game. These are friendly NPCs who have a short list of additional investigation abilities that the main character lacks. These should be listed on the character sheet somehow. It may be as simple as creating NPCs and dragging links to the character sheet — that works as long as the player can see all the NPC stats.
    I didn't look at the NPC sheet last night but it may be overkill for sources from a purely mechanical point of view. Just a note kept by the player or a story entry for each source shared by the GM I think would do the trick.

I think problems and edges are more important to see at a glance than sources. A problem and edge you would use in the immediate scene, a source you have to start a new scene so flipping tabs on the sheet to see sources I don't think would detract much.

Of course maybe everyone will only have 1 or 2 of problems and edges each, so leaving images up on your screen would be enough of a reminder? I'm sure actually playing through will reveal how accurate my statement is.

Blog Entries
    Hey guys,

Yeah as NotRussellCrowe says - use the Hide button to shorten up your lists once you have finished allocating points.
    Please once you have built up a char - or even better - played thru a scenario - send me a screenshot so I can see the number of skills in use and find out how many problems and edges you need to track.
    It does sound like NPCs would be the way to track Sources - and yes I can have them add to the PC sheet - again we will need to find the best spot.

One vs two player question: the adventure content is all geared to one player, one GM, with a number of significant adjustments to how you’d otherwise prepare and pace GM content.

But for mechanics, you could use them for multiplayer. In fact, the game designer has partially done that for The Yellow King roleplaying game, and has emphasized that GUMSHOE doesn’t attempt to be a generic system such as GURPS (which has a core of uniform mechanics that applies consistently across all settings) but instead has different builds optimized for each setting.

As far as Investigation Abilities and spends, the designer’s thinking has evolved, and now may prefer the arrangement in One-2-One, which removes any confusion that gaining a core clue would ever require a spend. These are replaced by Pushes, which can be spent to gain a special benefit via use of any skill that you have (whereas in standard gumshoe you have points in specific skills and those points can only be spent on special benefits related to the use of those specific skills).

Part of why I’d like to play one-2-one is to gain direct experience in gameplay using these mechanics, which could then perhaps be transferred over to standard gumshoe games.

Hey guys,

Yeah as NotRussellCrowe says - use the Hide button to shorten up your lists once you have finished allocating points.
    Please once you have built up a char - or even better - played thru a scenario - send me a screenshot so I can see the number of skills in use and find out how many problems and edges you need to track.
    It does sound like NPCs would be the way to track Sources - and yes I can have them add to the PC sheet - again we will need to find the best spot.
    You’ll have zero to four of each type of card at any moment under normal circumstances. Maybe you’d get up to 6 in a category on rare occasions. So double that for total number of cards that a PC would have.

It’s prob nice to have separate link lists for Problems and Edges on the PC sheet.

Clue lists could be useful too—I know that’s already on the PC sheet.

NotRussellCrowe, how are you thinking of doing the cards? My thought is a story entry with the text plus a link to the card image, or maybe the image alone.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

You’ll have zero to four of each type of card at any moment under normal circumstances. Maybe you’d get up to 6 in a category on rare occasions. So double that for total number of cards that a PC would have.

It’s prob nice to have separate link lists for Problems and Edges on the PC sheet.

Clue lists could be useful too—I know that’s already on the PC sheet.

NotRussellCrowe, how are you thinking of doing the cards? My thought is a story entry with the text plus a link to the card image, or maybe the image alone.
    I expect someone somewhere to take a problem card for each challenge to get that extra die just to see how that impacts the game

As for how I was thinking of using them in FG I was just going to screenshot them and have each their own image. I feel this will be quicker than typing them all up manually and less error prone. Typing them up could be done but I think it will be quicker to just screenshot them all. I hadn't thought of doing both, I'm far too lazy for that. Maybe if I was doing a commercial module then the extra effort would be expected but for an initial run through of the system I plan to keep it simple.

I picked up the game last night, and glad I did since there's a lot of rules, explanations, and setting support. Bundle of Holding is still live for a few more hours!

Thread Information