Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    It's static IP <--- the hill I'll die on.

Static IP and Reserved IP produce similar results, but are, in fact different. A Static IP is an IP (and domain mask) that is directly configured in the network port configuration dialog on the computer (or device). A Reserved IP is an unchanging IP that is configured on the DHCP server to be provided to a specific device (based on its MAC, which are all different). If there is no DHCP server, then everything would be configured with Static IP. If there is a DHCP server, then configuring the constant IP to a particular computer is best done through a reserve. Most DHCP server configuration UIs will refer to these constant IPs as Static IPs. It's a subtle error, but for most users it doesn't matter.

Setting up two computers on the same LAN with the same IP will cause all sorts of 'bad behaviour'. Both should be throwing error dialogs that a duplicate IP is present. Some stuff will 'work OK'. Some stuff will almost work, but fail in spectacular ways. Other stuff will outright fail badly.

With all computers using dynamic IPs on a LAN with DHCP server should never happen that they are matching. If at least one has been configured with a static IP and that IP matches a dynamic one in use, bad things will occur.

To prevent that from happening, it is recommended to configure a reserved IP on the DHCP server, rather than configure a static IP.

I worked in a company many years back that was using network connected cameras. Our partner company was custom making these network cameras for us. A system would use five cameras to image the area of interest. They had burned the firmware in these units to give them all the same MAC and the same Static IP. For several days they couldn't figure out why things worked great with one camera hooked up, but everything stopped as soon as a second camera was hooked to the network.

I was working on software for another part of the system and not directly working with them. At the end of the second day of failures, the partner company firmware developers asked for my assistance. I spotted the issue in a couple of minutes of investigation. MACs were reprogrammed and different Static IPs were assigned to each camera, and everything worked again.

Even the 'experts' can get this kind of thing mixed up.

Frustrating! The game is working perfectly. Just one update and stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by faeldokiko View Post
    Frustrating! The game is working perfectly. Just one update and stop working.
    Check that your network is still set to private; Windows updates often revert the network to public for some reason. If that isn't the issue make sure that your Anti virus doesn't have multiple rules for FG. If so delete them all and make a fresh one (especially if you use Window Defender). If that still doesn't solve the issue then most likely your computer's IP address has changed and you'll need to update your port forward rule to point to the new address.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information