DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Connection Test Failure

Hi, I know this has been posted about a million times. First off, we have two computers that we play with on the same router. We have been through ALL of the steps. Literally all of them. Even extras. We got everything working for a little bit and then all the sudden the test started failing again. Everything is updated. Nothing has changed since we had it working.

My questions to you technically inclined people is this: why would the test connection fail on one computer and not the other?

To elaborate, we use his computer for GMing and mine as a player. We are in the same house, on the same router so we have the same router settings between computers. My computer is able to create and load and allow players to join a campaign. So why can his not?

Quote Originally Posted by natashalee View Post
    My questions to you technically inclined people is this: why would the test connection fail on one computer and not the other?
    Because port forwarding only works for one computer at a time - because incoming port 1802 can only be forwarded to one computer.

What did you do to get your computer to work? Do the same to make it work for the GM's computer. If you added a port forwarding rule to your Internet router, change it to point to the GMs computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Everything has been done with both computers and his computer was working. Then we didn't log on for a few weeks and suddenly it doesn't work. As for the port forward, it is forwarded to his computer though we do both have the same local IP

You can't both have the same IP. Only one computer is allowed with each IP on a network.

Everything has been done with both computers and his computer was working. Then we didn't log on for a few weeks and suddenly it doesn't work. As for the port forward, it is forwarded to his computer though we do both have the same local IP
    I don't know how you can both have the same local IP address - that wouldn't work for any network, let alone FG.

Make sure your two computers have different IP addresses. Then double check that the port forwarding you have setup in the Internet router is set for TCP port 1802 to the IP address of the GMs computer double check what the GMs IP address is now, don't assume it hasn't changed. There should only be one port forwarding rule for TCP port 1802.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I officially hate my router. It had us both listed as the same is for some reason so it was going to mine. I don't know how it was working before since we didn't change settings but thank you. Switched .16 to .18 and got it fixed.

Switched .16 to .18 and got it fixed.
    Great news!

Do ip addresses Change? Lol I got it fixed, so thank you guys.

Yeah, IP addresses can change - most are assigned dynamically by DHCP (which runs on your router), they usually give you the same IP address each time, but sometimes not. You can set the GMs computer to have a statically assigned IP address.

Yes, IP addresses DO change. You should setup 'address reservation' which some people mistakenly call a static IP address.

What this does is allows your router to always give your computer the same address.

Dave
    Last edited by dberkompas; February 14th, 2019 at 00:57. Reason: Fixing grammar, jeesh.
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Thread Information