5E Character Create Playlist
    Blog Entries

Extension error loading lua script

Having an error trying to load a script thru an extension. I keep getting this error message in the console during loading: Script Error: [string "scripts/gmw.lua"]:1: '=' expected near '»'

I have stripped this extension down to bare minimum and I'm stuck. It's time for a new set of eyes to point out my stupid mistake. lol

Thanks and here's the .ext for debugging.
    Attached Files Attached Files

function onInit()
    Debug.console("here")
    End

Should be:

function onInit()
    Debug.console("here")
    end

There is no keyword in lua that matches what's in the code 'End', the keyword you want is 'end', all non-capital letters.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Let me recommend the following sources for lua:

https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/st...Lua/index.html
    https://www.tutorialspoint.com/lua/lua_overview.htm

Good luck with your coding.

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

You also have the file encoding set to UTF-8 BOM. Set it to just UTF-8. Its the file encoding thats throwing that weird error you mentioned.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

If you are using an editor like notepad++ you can change the file encoding using the Encoding menu at the top.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

You had some kind of weird encoding on the scripts/gmw.lua file:

$ file gmw1.lua
    gmw1.lua: UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with CRLF line terminators
    scripts
    $ cat -t gmw.lua
    M-oM-;M-?function onInit()^M
    Debug.console("here")^M
    End
    scripts
    I stripped that off (and changed "End" to "end") and it works fine.

I opened it in Visual Studio Code and it must have stripped out the encoding issues.

A good code editor will make your life much easier as well, add in extensions as needed to get keyword highlighting and such things etc.

Blog Entries
    I agree about the code editors. I was using visual studio to create the script that created the file. The VS editor rocks. i can't believe I never thought to check the encoding. Changing it to UTF-8 instead of UTF-8 BOM worked like a charm.

Thanks everyone

Thread Information