5E Character Create Playlist

Star Wars FFG - how does it play?

how does this star wars rpg play? i've only played 3.5 and 5E dungeons and dragons...

I've moved this post to it's own thread (from the Genesys RPG extension thread) - as this is a question to do with a specific RPG system, not it's FG implementation.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

From my point of view, FFG's Star Wars rpg is nothing short of great... with one serious drawback.

This game is not just about success or failure. You can succeed and still have bad things happening, or fail, with some sort of good thing happening, depending on what the dice does. Best of all the dice can be up for interpretation when it comes to advantage / threat, giving the storyteller options to enhance the story based on what peole roll. I have never seen that in another rpg.

And speaking of combat. How would you make battlemaps for the insanely large places you see in the films? Icy plains. Factories... It wouldn't really work. This is where the range band system really fits into Star Wars. Combat can be very narratively driven and as a storyteller you can really set some amazing scenes up.

There is a lot of material for it. And that is great. But the one drawback I mentioned: Nothing is digital. FFG cannot sell pdf's of the Star Wars rpg, because "technically that would make it a computer game and EA has exclusive rights to that". Are you in disbelief? Welcome to the club.

As for playing on Fantasy Grounds, the only thing that is bad, is that the ruleset is not Core based, but much older. It works fine. No problems, but you just need to be aware that things work a little different than what you're used to. If you played alot before FG 3.0, this should be a breeze to use.

If you like Star Wars, I highly recommend it.

Vires Animi

Thread Information