Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I'm not sure what you mean by white listing, or how to do it

Gotcha. Yes, all the fg files are set as exclusions in Defender and are on the list of apps that are allowed through the firewall (which is still turned off).

Blog Entries
    sorry mate - Im all outta ideas....

Can you switch Windows Defender back on (even with it apparently off it still does things) and delete all and every rule that you find for Fantasy Grounds in there. Check also that WD hasn't quarantined Fantasy Grounds. Once you have checked that and deleted all of the rules create a new fresh rule for the entire FG installation folder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I found the rules for Fantasy Grounds in Windows Defender and deleted them. I tried the updater again with the rules removed and Defender on. Same error. I then added FG as an exclusion to the firewall and tried it again with Defender on. No joy. Third time, I turned Defender off and still nothing. Next step was to go into Defender firewall advanced settings and create a new rule for FG to allow it through in all cases. Same results.

I also checked quarantine and didn't see any files in there at all.

I'm thinking that it must not be Windows Defender that is blocking it. I've tried all kinds of combinations of turning off, adding exclusions, creating rules. Nothing on that end seems to work. What else might I try?

Thanks

Well, as noted above if it's not anti virus then that pretty much leaves the router. Anti flood protection or high levels of internet protection could be the cause. It's hard to say for sure since routers are all different and the software that comes with it can also be different. It's assumed that you've rebooted your router and your PC during all of this testing.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ok, so it's working now, but I don't think it was anything that I did.

I decided to try on another computer to make sure it wasn't my router. I downloaded the installer on the second computer and it installed right away, no problem. So not a router issue.

I went back to my main computer and made sure the windows defender settings were the same for both computers. The only setting that was off on the new laptop was SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge. That shouldn't matter but I turned it off on my original system anyway.

I double clicked on the FG installer on the original pc and before running update I removed my product key from the field and made sure my password was correct. Clicked install and it went just fine. I closed the app after it installed then added in my product key and ran update - it updated fine.

As a last step I turned on everything in Windows Defender and ran the update again. No problems.

So it wasn't a router issue and it doesn't seem like it was a Windows Defender or pc issue either. I didn't do anything new this time that I haven't tried half a dozen times already. Maybe there was some kind of isp blockage and it just now cleared up?

I have no idea, but at least it's working again.

I should also mention that I did a system restore on my pc and took it back 5 days. After the restore FG still wouldn't install/update. It also happened that Google Chrome wouldn't open either. So I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. Chrome works now, as does FG. Is it at all possible that something in Chrome was blocking FG and by reinstalling it cleared up? That seems unlikely to me, but what do I know?

Thanks for the patient help guys.
    Last edited by tylipher; February 8th, 2019 at 16:08.

Thread Information