FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Question 5E Starting from Scratch Guidance

OK, so here's the story. It's been well over a year since I played 5E and during that time I also changed to a new PC. Bad news, all my themes, extensions and most addons were lost.

For those who play, especially DM's, what do you recommend as the best (read most useful/helpful) of these that I should go about picking up or downloading again to help get optimized for running 5e again? Not the extra fluff things like Xanthar's and Volo's Guide, etc., but things to help run stock 5E. At the moment, I only have the 5e PHB.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    Your purchased add-ons will re-download with an update. So I'm assuming you mean community stuff?

Rob's stuff is great, so you can re-download any of that which you had bought (or PWYW) from the Guild again. I would also grab the "Complete xyz" packages so you can create PC effects and actions easily.

I use the two table importer extensions for content creation. Plus I like my trinkets module

The only extensions I commonly use are Improved Critical and NPC Flavors.

Oh, and maps, download all the map modules from the sticky and the map sub-forum!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It depends if you want to run one off the published adventures or go your own way. If the latter then the DMG and MM would be essential; if the former then the PHB and the adventure you intend to run should be all you need. Although I'd still want the DMG, just for the treasure tables.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Yeah mostly extension things are really what I am looking for. That and now I have an excuse to pick up Rob's stuff.

Forgot I have the MM too. DMG is in my FG cart waiting to have the trigger pulled.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

There is an extension that lets you swap from one handed to two handed with versatile weapons. I love that one. Robs stuff is great for automating class abilities, feats, and better spell mechanics and names.

As an adjunct to this question, would people state what non-5E published materials would be of most use to starting a 5E Realms campaign in your preferred "from scratch" area?

I have a good deal of 2E stuff, but never really bought into the Realms. I've got the 5E Realms stuff from Fantasy Grounds, old Elminster columns from Dragon magazines, but not much else. What products fit in nicely with your preferred start area and why?

Blog Entries
    If you are going to be in Waterdeep, then I would get Jason's "Waterdeep Primer" https://www.dmsguild.com/product/248...terdeep-Primer

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by TVDinner View Post
    As an adjunct to this question, would people state what non-5E published materials would be of most use to starting a 5E Realms campaign in your preferred "from scratch" area?

I have a good deal of 2E stuff, but never really bought into the Realms. I've got the 5E Realms stuff from Fantasy Grounds, old Elminster columns from Dragon magazines, but not much else. What products fit in nicely with your preferred start area and why?
    I'll toss these out because they are often overlooked: The DM's Guild Creator Resource Art Packs. Here's just one randomly, but you can get all of them for free:
    https://www.dmsguild.com/product/170...rce--Plant-Art

They have a TON of awesome official art which comes in handy when you need images during a session. These are meant to be used for making DM's Guild products but I love them for use at the table.

Otherwise the only two pre-5e Realms products I own are the Legacy of the Crystal Shard and Netheril Empire of Magic. I particularly love that last one for the mechanics of how magic worked before Mystryl died which I used to use a lot in ancient ruins.

For background and flavor the official wiki has everything I need.

Non Realms-specific products that would be the first ones I recover are these because I use them almost every session:
    Customizable Drinks
    Dramatic Inspiration
    Tavern Games
    And The Comprehensive Equipment Manual

I'm slowly working that last one into a FG module to gift to the publisher (and because I want it for myself, lol).
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; February 9th, 2019 at 18:36.

Thanks, you two. I haven't been sniffing around dmsguild, those suggestions will change that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TVDinner View Post
    Thanks, you two. I haven't been sniffing around dmsguild, those suggestions will change that.
    I really like the Guild. Though their is stuff no more than conceptual drafts, their is also professional level work there are good as WotC, Frog God, etc. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find.

Thread Information