FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Images on Maps

Images on Maps

I am wondering what's the best way to add additional images to maps. I was using tokens in the Host folder to do this for my campaign. For example, I stripped all of the location names off from a map, then added them as images to the Host token folder. Then I dragged them onto the map and set them to hidden. However, I noticed logging onto another computer, that if I share the map where those tokens are used, the players could ultimately see all of the content within those folders within the token menu.

Is there another way I should be adding things like labels to a map that I don't want the players to see, but may want to reveal later?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tielc; January 30th, 2019 at 14:55.

Use letter tokens, perhaps the first letter of the name. Then type the full name in the chat bar and drag the text to the token. This will add a tooltip to the token. Not ideal, but it’s an option.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Okay, so basically what I'm getting is, there's no way to add graphics to a map without having them populate the character's token folders?

All tokens on a map/images, even tokens that are hidden, are downloaded to the player client and are visible in the player's token window. This is a requirement with the way shared images and tokens operate.

You could add the tokens to the map when you want to actually show them to the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

In theory, could I write a mod that just removes the token folder from the player interface? Their character tokens are created and applied. I don't see a reason in this game for them to even see the folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tielc View Post
    In theory, could I write a mod that just removes the token folder from the player interface? Their character tokens are created and applied. I don't see a reason in this game for them to even see the folder.
    In theory you could. I don't know what effect that will actually have on the underlying token architecture, probably no effect. Give it a go and see what happens!

The worst thing that you could do is it breaks the rules of the simulation we're in and it goes back to a previous save.

Does anyone happen to know the name of the button? I've searched, but I'm getting the feeling it isn't named.

I can only find reference to it here, where the object is given a class named tokenbag, but no object name. I've tried changing the class using a script to setVisible(false); with no luck.

aCoreDesktopDock =
    {
    ["local"] =
    {
    {
    icon="button_library",
    icon_down="button_library_down",
    tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_library",
    class="library",
    subdock = true,
    },
    },
    ["live"] =
    {
    {
    icon="button_tokencase",
    icon_down="button_tokencase_down",
    tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_token",
    class="tokenbag",
    subdock = true,
    },
    {
    icon="button_library",
    icon_down="button_library_down",
    tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_library",
    class="library",
    subdock = true,
    },
    },
    };

Remove the whole section relevant to the token button/class. That is, remove this:

Code:
    {
    icon="button_tokencase",
    icon_down="button_tokencase_down",
    tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_token",
    class="tokenbag",
    subdock = true,
    },
    Best to make a copy of the whole "live" entry and rename it "live-player" and remove the above section just from this.

Then you'll need to modify the buildDesktop() function towards the top of that file (data_desktop,lua) to check for GM or player and use DesktopManager.registerDockShortcuts for either "live" or "player-live". There's a User.isHost() section in that function, so you can modify as needed.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 30th, 2019 at 19:54.

Thread Information