DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

How to make a Squeaky Voice/Sound

Any of you sound gurus or dabblers have an idea how I could do this...?

I want to make a sound or voice that mimics squeaking metal.

Background: players have salvaged several suits of animated armor and are now wearing them as plate mail. The armor is now coming back to "life" or such. I haven't worked out just yet what is going to happen, but one suggestion is to have the armor start talking. And one of the ideas if for the armor to call for help, saying something like; "Help! Brothers, come save me, I've been kidnapped!"

Now, I would like to make a sound and record it that sounds like something metal armor would "say". You know, something like metal on metal rubbing. A squeak that when you listen careful it sounds like a voice calling for help.

Now how in the heck would I do something like that?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I haven‘t tried it myself, but MorphVox Pro let‘s you modify your voice (as well as professional audio SW like CUBASE).
    The Teufel Cage headset even comes with it‘s own 4 presets you could use for voice modification, however not the one you want.

I like your idea of sentient items. In 13th Age most magical items come with some form of ‚own will‘. Using them would change the owner‘s behaviour in sometimes strange ways. If you are interested, dive into the Book of Loot from Pelgrane Press.
    Last edited by Targas; January 29th, 2019 at 05:42.

I use MorphVox Pro. Picked it up during Black Friday sale, but even at $40, it's a pretty good deal. Lots of free sample voices and you can start with say, a robot voice and modify the various settings to tweak it to your liking.

Clownfishvoicechanger - it is free and works really well.

If you have access, a ring modulator would do the trick....I would suggest layering as well. If I can get a min. I'll record a sample and send it your way...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mghauber View Post
    If you have access, a ring modulator would do the trick....I would suggest layering as well. If I can get a min. I'll record a sample and send it your way...
    Thanks, I don't have one. Google tells me it's something that I would have to add to a sythesizer (which I don't have) or other electronic audio setup (which I don't have)

Any help is appreciated. Hope to find time this week to play with the earlier suggestions. Will post any samples I come up with and how I got them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you have audio editing software (or DAW) which supports VST plugins (most do support this), a quick search of the Internet showed a few free VST plugins that were ring modulators.

I'd expect those to provide similar results to a hardware solution.

Depending on the software, you should be able to switch the effect into and out of the audio path at will.

BTW, I know enough about this to be dangerous. Have little actual experience trying to use anything like that.

Try this. Feedback appreciated.

Wait...can you not attach an MP3?

Quote Originally Posted by mghauber View Post
    Wait...can you not attach an MP3?
    ZIP it!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information