FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Interesting TV design

Hey all,

Saw this on Amazon. Samsung 4K 31.5" with a FLAT back and recessed cabling. With the addition of some rubber feet to provide cooling clearance, this might be a good model for laying flat on a table. Small enough to be portable too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S32R7...dp/B07L9FNWSS/
    Check out my FG theme - The Coming of Night

FG Ultimate License
    D&D5e-Pathfinder-Savage Worlds

Just remember that any custom table built for an inlaid TV will fit the original TV, but might not fit future models. And that TV won't last forever...

Look at what TVs were like five years ago, compared to now, and there is massive difference. If you design the cradle that the TV sits on to be replaceable, that will help, but still not a guarantee.

Also consider that the cooling slots on the back of TVs is designed for a vertical mounting with convective cooling. Horizontal mount under a closed top table blocks all of that cooling, shortening the life of the TV, or you need to add several fans and vent holes under the table to cool it.

For this reason, I'm considering a ceiling mounted projector. The table top can be white board material, so dry erase markers work on it. Also, it is mostly water proof, and easy to clean. Projected image size can be much larger than the cheaper TVs provide as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xemit View Post
    For this reason, I'm considering a ceiling mounted projector. The table top can be white board material, so dry erase markers work on it. Also, it is mostly water proof, and easy to clean. Projected image size can be much larger than the cheaper TVs provide as well.
    Don't forget to look into the bulb life and cost. They used to be atrocious but have improved. But can still be a shocker if your not ready for it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yup, thought of that. Newest gen LED bulb projectors have a 20,000 hour life. That's a lot of game time between bulb changes. Like five years at ten hours a day!

As well the power consumption is dramatically lower with LED over the halogen bulbs. And much lower heat generation.

However, TVs win on price point currently. A 4K TV can be purchased for a quarter the price of a 4K projector. If you can live with 1080P, then not a problem any more.

Or, if you really want 4K then buy a couple spare TVs so you know they'll fit the table hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Xemit View Post
    Just remember that any custom table built for an inlaid TV will fit the original TV, but might not fit future models. And that TV won't last forever...

Look at what TVs were like five years ago, compared to now, and there is massive difference. If you design the cradle that the TV sits on to be replaceable, that will help, but still not a guarantee.

Also consider that the cooling slots on the back of TVs is designed for a vertical mounting with convective cooling. Horizontal mount under a closed top table blocks all of that cooling, shortening the life of the TV, or you need to add several fans and vent holes under the table to cool it.

I think the point of this one - was that you could just add some rubber feet to it and put it on your table - due to it being so flat/thin. I'd agree depending on if you can take the base/arm thing off or not.

True enough, if the arm comes off (and I believe it will) then you could directly put it on a regular table. But don't forget to add some fans along one edge to cool it and be sure the rubber feet are thick enough to allow ventilation but not let dice roll underneath.

With a 32" screen, I have to admit I'd more likely use it like a conventional monitor/TV in the upright form. It's almost too small for a table top map with minis. I have a 32" 4K monitor hooked to my notebook that I do this with already. I put a player instance, full screen map on it.

yeah - I'm starting to think a 'box' for a regular tv with custom cooling might be a better solution than a custom table.

I have a 48 inch 4K TV and I have built a removable wooden surround - to stop dice rolling under the TV, and also to stop dice rolled on the plexiglass protected TV screen from falling off. Allows me to swap out TVs if there's an issue, makes the setup portable and more flexible. I've put a couple of USB powered fans on the side just in case, but haven't had an issue with overheating.

It works really well, on normal and gaming (recessed) tables.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Good advice all around, and sweet pictures of your setup, Trenloe.
    Personally, I have no concern about minis and will use FG's electronic tokens. And I'd considered the heat problem... not saying the TV I linked in the first post is "the one" but it looks like (with addition of some feet and low profile fans) it'd be totally portable and perfect for non-mini play. The CFO (wife) has yet to approve my purchase order though. Bureaucracy.

FG Ultimate License

I also see Trenloe's setup is proof against Skittles, Reese's Pieces, and Bugles. Take note, folks... that's a multi-snack system there.

FG Ultimate License

Thread Information