DICE PACKS BUNDLE

SWADE Agility vs. Athletics

I´m currently reading through and I´ve seen that many checks that previously used Agility are now using Athletics instead. I feel like this has made Athletics a bit of a "god skill" as it is used in so many different types of checks. Are there any checks that still use Agility, particularly opposed checks?

That is largely a planned design change for SWADE. In fact it's explicitly pointed out in the new rules where it states "Attributes are primarily passive or innate abilities used for resisting effects like fear or supernatural attacks. Skills are used to actively do things or affect others." (emphasis from the original). It does state there are some exceptions, but I essentially read that as if you character is actively wanting to do something they would declare the use of a skill, but for a "saving throw", if you will, you'd make an Attribute roll. For example you might actively want to jump over something, using Athletics, but if your are trying to Evade something (see Evasion on p. 100) you use Agility. Agility also affects the costs of Agility-related skills and is often a pre-requisite for things like Edges. So it's just a bit of a change in design philosophy to make things a bit more internally consistent, I believe.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense! Now the tests also make sense, why it is athletics vs. agility. Thanks for the clearification.

Thread Information